“Good choie” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Dominican

You added The Dominican to your Saves list
The Dominican
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leopoldstraat / Rue Leopold 9 | Brussels, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #8 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
Canada
“Good choie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We spent four nights in this nice and quiet hotel. ( May 21st - 25th ) . Close to the central
station and to Royal Theater De La Monnaie.
The room was confortable. Lighting was a bit low and the window was fascing a close building.
( room 421 )
The hotel staff was very professional and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
thedominican9, General Manager at The Dominican, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Lisa,
Please, let Canada hear all about The Dominican!
Thanks for the short though powerful review.
Never hesitate to come back...
Yours sincerely,
General Manager - The Dominican

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Vicenza, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

my husband and I stayed 2 nights at The Dominican- to go to the Rolling Stones concert last saturday. The first impression about the hotel was really a good one, but unfortunately our stay was not so happy due to the behaviour of the housekeeping and the people at the reception desk.
In fact the day of the concert, we left the room in the morning and came back at 3 pm for a nap- before concert.
The room was not done yet, so we left the sign on the door knob "do not disturb". (while I was falling asleep, I had the impression, that the cleaning lady with the cart outside in the corridor was being particularly noisy...). After about one hour- while we were asleep- a girl from the reception called to tell us, that if they could not make the room soon, they could not do it later. I asked to come back at 6 pm but she denied- I complained, that they had had until 3 pm to make the room, but she said they were very busy all day...so I finally asked to get only clean towels. Then I tried to go back to sleep, wondering what a dumm idea it was of them to call when you have a not disturb sign on the door knob...Later, when we went out, I found a bag with towels hanging on the door knob.(I had heard some hussle around the door before..).
One of the towels was dirty.( I brought it back to reception the following day when I found out). When we went down that evening, the reception was empty. I think that the reception is totally understaffed. There is no proper concierge sitting at the concierge desk. You can only ask information to the 1 or 2 people on duty at the reception desk. They are usually busy and not friendly enough for you to dare ask too many questions. I only asked minimal infos, because they looked like they were getting pissed when you asked (the young men especially). They give very generic answers about good places to eat...so I got to find the information by myself.The next morning there was only one girl there at check out time (around 12 am) and she was totally overwhelmed by a line of people checking out. (so forget about asking her any direction).
In the room the bed was very comfortable, but we could hear the noise from a restaurant or bar below.
I think that "service" is not their thing there...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
I am really sorry for all impediments.
I perfectly understand your disenchantment.
We'll try and work on all delicate matters...
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed Brussels after all!
Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were initially booked at another brand name hotel. 2 weeks before the trip, that hotel went belly up. The parent company did nothing to help us rebook. So I pulled up trusty trip advisor and read very good reviews on this hotel. Thank you fellow trip advisor reviewers. You guys were right on! The location is perfect! Quick walk to the grand place. Close to a metro stop. Modern boutique design. Large room for European standard. Modern bathroom with good water pressure for the shower (rare in Europe). The tub was deep, great for a hot soak for tired muscles after a day of walking around town. The staff was very nice a helpful, reserved a taxi for us for a very early am departure to the airport. Eat at the restaurant while there, great food and service. The courtyard is a lush and tranquil setting for "high wine" (instead of high tea) in the afternoon. So the first hotel's closing was a blessing in disguise; this hotel was less expensive and I think better. If I am ever back in Brussels, I will definitely stay here again. Did I mention I LOVE this hotel?

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a good view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dearest Lucy,
I love, Love, LOve, LOVe, LOVE your kind message!
So nice to learn that some sad story turned out quite well at the end...
Did I tell you I love your message?
Sunny regards,
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed here for two nights at the end of June. The hotel is in a very good location. The standard of the rooms are excellent. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant on the first night as we arrived quite late. The hotel would however benefit from a brasserie type menu as well, as you don't always want such a formal meal. The cocktails in the Lounge Bar were very good. The staff we encountered were all very friendly and helpful. We were however charged in error for breakfast that we did not have on both days which for three people came to 162 euros! The charge was removed when queried. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
A million thanks for your kind review.
Nice to learn about your satisfaction!
Please, don't hesitate to come back...
Greetings,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The location is quite good, it's walking distance to most things and it has a brilliant menu for room service or dinner. The breakfast selection is quite unbeatable for Brussels and certainly worth checking out.

The bathrooms are nice and the rain shower is a wonderful perk for travellers or if you are a little stressed opt for the bath and unwind with a nice cold Belgian beer.

The only issues I have is the beds are far far too soft and I always find it hard to get a good nights sleep, also before going to bed try and remember to turn on the A/C and turn the temperature down as it you will likely get warm during the night.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor with a courtyard view if you can for more light and make sure you opt for...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
thedominican9, General Manager at The Dominican, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear guest,
It is a pleasure reading about your travel experiences.
Many thanks for your openess and honesty!
Best regards,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Dominican for 4 nights and we very much enjoyed our stay. Our room was large, clean, and very comfortable. The bedding was exceptionally comfortable to snug in. The hotel is very well located for touring the city. We practically walked to all the historic buildings, shopping centers, and restaurants. Besides being centrally located, it was surprisingly very quiet, too! We didn't eat at the hotel because there were so many restaurants and coffee shops around the hotel that we preferred to experience the true life in this city. The staff was helpful and friendly. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We heard breakfast, lunch and dinner were expensive at this hotel. So, we enjoyed eating out at many...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear,
So nice to read about your travel experiences; I can smell your enthusiasm from a distance!
Please, spread the word all over LA...
A million thanks,
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Sometimes there are jewels, places a little secret that we would like to keep secret ... The Dominican Hotel is one! We spent one night in a deluxe suite. Perfectly soundproof room, equipment quite correct and very caring staff!
We had a drink outside in the courtyard garden and with a little sun is a real happiness!
Its location just steps from the city center is perfect for shopping but also to discover the restaurants and the Grand Place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Vanessa,
So nice to share your thoughts with the universe...
Your kindness really makes my day!
May we hope to welcome you soon again?
Wishing you well,
Gilles Devos.
Director of Sales - The Dominican

Been to The Dominican? Share your experiences!