“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dominican

You added The Dominican to your Saves list
The Dominican
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leopoldstraat / Rue Leopold 9 | Brussels, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #7 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
New York
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Based on reviews, we selected the Dominican for our stay in Brussels. We loved everything about the hotel - it was comfortable and very convenient to the Grand Place. We arrived in the Brussels Midi station and took the pre-metro to the De Brouckère stop. It was a bit confusing when we exited De Brouckère to find which direction to go. Look for signs to the Cathedral or Place de la Monnaie. And if you don't want to eat breakfast at the hotel, there is a small grocery store around the corner where you can buy juice and croissants for a few euros.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for a room away from the bar
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
A million thanks for communicating your appreciation! Please, spread the word in your lovely city...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Let me say from the outset that I hold myself 50% to blame for what happened. The other 50% is shared between Eurostar and the Dominican, but unsurprisingly, neither of them will accept any responsibility at all.

I booked this hotel through Eurostar for four nights, very encouraged by the reviews. During the booking process (apparently) Eurostar briefly mention on one of several pages that breakfast is not included. I may have missed it – if so, my fault. However, on all subsequent documentation sent by Eurostar, there is no mention of whether breakfast is included or not. I booked well before I travelled, and had booked other hotels, so did not recall whether it was part of the deal for this hotel on arrival.

Eurostar’s excuse for not putting it on the documentation (don’t laugh) is that ”it would be impossible to put all the details on the documentation”. Really? All the important details?

On arrival at the hotel, no mention was made at check-in about breakfast. Yes, I should have asked. We were tired and eager to get to our room, and we didn’t. When we went down to breakfast next morning, we found our name was on a list as we went into breakfast. Great, we thought, breakfast must be included. 4 days later, at check-out, we were presented with a bill for 216 Euros, when we expected to have no bill. Yes, the hotel had been charging us 27 euros each for breakfast, and we had no idea. A fairly obscene price, I have to say.

I think this is a shady way to do business, both on the part of Eurostar and The Dominican. We are used to rip-off Britain, now we must get used to rip-off Belgium.

I only asked for a 50% refund because I accept my share of the blame. Eurostar effectively told me to ‘get lost’ –their customer service is a bit chaotic –try it and see. The hotel were nicer but the message in the end was the same. In every other respect it is a nice hotel, but all the friendliness of the staff turned sour when we realised what they had done to us.
I tell this sorry tale only to save another couple from the same unhappy circumstances.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
I know you well, as we have been discussing over email for a considerable time. I have expressed my true feelings of comprehension towards your disappointment, though the hotel can not take responsibility for booking confirmations from the hands of travel agents.
Your chosen travel agent has clearly stated that the hotel was not to blame, and I have forwarded you this information immediately. When choosing to book a hotel directly without including third parties (agents), relationships are clear and responsabilities are obvious. However I really appreciate your honesty about dividing the blame in between the agent, the hotel and yourself. By the way, I have discovered the existence of Durham through a train window on my way from London to Newcastle last week. I have never seen a lovelier town before! Lucky you! Best regards. Gilles Devos, Director of Sales.
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had drinks and dinner at the hotel as a friend visiting town for work was staying there. The decor is stylish and the public parts of the building have been renovated sympathetically. Our evening began well with a drink in the bar where, Kevin, the barman displayed an excellent knowledge of the good range of gins available and provided impeccable, prompt and polite service. Afterwards, we moved to the restaurant for dinner. The food was fine for Brussels standards but not exceptional. In contrast to the top service we had received in the bar, however, that in the restaurant was not what one would expect from such an establishment. Having lived in Brussels for well over 20 years I always use French or Dutch (the city's two official languages) when interacting with public authorities, people in shops, restaurants etc. Our waiter refused point blank to speak French with us persistently replying in English to our requests and questions in French. If his knowledge of French was insufficient to hold a conversation then he ought to have found a replacement who could speak French. To repeatedly reply to someone in a language other than that in which they are addressing you is rude anywhere; in this city it is a political statement and an unpleasant one at that. We finished our meal with a coffee after which 'our' waiter disappeared; another was just visible on the other side of the restaurant. After some 20 minutes or so, I was able to attract the attention of one of the barmen who came in to serve drinks to a group. I asked for the bill and said we had been waiting for 'our' waiting for ages. He told us that the waiter in question was not 'ours' and that the waiter was busy cleaning tables (obviously far more important than dealing with customers); all waiters were at our disposition, he said. Any sign of an apology for us having to wait? No. If quality of service is important to the management of this establishment, I suggest they employ more people like Kevin the barman who knows what proper service is. I have given an 'average' grade for the my review as this balances the positive experience in the bar with the negative one in the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest, many thanks for your comments. Only this way, we are able to finetune our services. I am sorry for the disappointment, and I secretely hope for you to give us a second chance soon... Kind regards. Gilles Devos, Director of Sales.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Took my Mother back to Belgium this Summer and booked this hotel without really knowing about it. A great move in many ways. The five nights were less expensive than my three nights in Paris just before.

The Hotel was fantastic and pleased my mother for the size of the room, the quality of the room furnishings and superior quality of the bed. I could do no wrong for the rest of the week...almost.

Converted from its previous vocation, this modern but boutique style hotel offers high quality rooms and great breakfast surroundings. All this while being less than 3 minutes away from the Grand-Place through the Galeries de la Reine or one of the side streets. A real bonus was the 24-hour parking garage (extra) less than 30 seconds away from the hotel. A real bonus in older parts of most european cities.

This will be my hotel in Brussels going forward. I can compare, I have stayed in over 12 other Brussels hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
A million thanks for your kind words, Luc! I am happy to learn that you have made the right choice for you and your mother. Please, bring her back...
solihull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

picked this after looking through trip advisor but was not dissapionted a treat for a special occasion would definatlly return location very good service excellent they have thought of everything in the rooms

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks a lot for the short but powerful recommendation! Quality of service doesn't always need a quantity of words...
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We arrived amidst a lot of road and building work and wondered if we had made the wrong choice! On entering the hotel it was clear that we hadn't- the hotel interior was elegant and peaceful. We had an executive room overlooking the courtyard. It was well fitted out with luxury toiletries and big towels in the bathroom. Our only criticism was that the room was rather dark with very subdued lighting.

We had drinks in the delightful coutryard, dinner in the restaurant ( good food) and did have breakfast which , although pricy, compared well with London buffets. We would certainly come back to the hotel if it were somewhere else but would not return to Brussels - it had little to offer compared to other cities.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room if affordable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I really appreciate your honest review! Luckily, the street works will be over in very few weeks...
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed 5 nights in The Dominican and we had a really great stay. The hotel is in a fantastic location - a couple of minutes walk to the Grand Place, easy access to the Metro and all of the restaurants and shops you would need nearby. The staff was friendly and helpful and we loved starting or finishing off the night with a drink in their swanky lounge.

The rooms are modern and comfortable. We had an upgraded room and really enjoyed the large separate shower and bath. The tall ceilings helped to make the room feel spacious. We enjoyed a courtyard facing room and I'm so thankful we did. There is currently a lot of construction taking place at the front of the hotel and friends of ours were woken up every morning at 7:00 to the sounds of jackhammers. While certainly not the hotel's fault, it did make their stay a lot less pleasant.

We did appreciate the free WiFi but our only complaint was there was something wrong with the connection. One minute the internet would be working perfectly and pages loaded quickly and the next nothing would open.

The bartender recommended Belga Queen as a restaurant to try and it was fantastic. It is located just around the corner from the hotel in an old bank. The interior was beautiful and the food delicious.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, a courtyard facing room is probably best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the flattering review! I am happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay at the maximum. Be sure that the street works will be over in a few weeks. As from October, The Dominican will face a pedestrian alley...

Been to The Dominican? Share your experiences!