“cheap” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #141 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
portugal
“cheap”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

It's cheap and well located (halfway between the city center and train station). Is it acceptable for a couple to spend a night, if their expectations are low.
The reception is not pretty, but the people were nice. Outside the hotel, the atmosphere is very "Turkish" but we had no problems and the hotel is on the corner of a major boulevard and has a metro station 50 meters from the entrance. The cleanliness of the room is a bit below the acceptable limit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with friends.

The Hotel is situated approx 10 minutes walk from Gare du Midi (Eurostar) and 10 minutes from the Grand Place.

The room was spacious and had a large bathroom. A flat screen TV was wall mounted and there were plenty of plug points. The room was made up each day we were there. Cant comment on breakfast as we never went for it.

The area outside the hotel can be very noisy - there is a bust metro station just outside and main dual carriageway. There is also a market which set up one morning selling fruit and veg etc. There were also a few locals sitting in the square drinking cans of lager from morning to night.

Overall this is okay if you are with a group of mates but I wouldnt recommend for couples or if you are expecting the finer things. This is a decent, basic hotel and served its purpose of somewhere to get our heads down for a few hours sleep each night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The main advantage of the hotel is that it's situated in a busy street with lots of shops and cafes, at the same time not far from the city's historical centre. The most upsetting thing is that a part of the hotel doesn't have an elevator, which is very uncomfortable if you have to get to the 4th floor with a heavy luggage (although you get a warning during the process of booking). I have experienced some problems with the internet connection, but a friendly member of staff helped me to solve them. Overall, it's a good choice if your main aim is sightseeing and you don't need anything more than the basic facilities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Well, staying at barry was an experience. We booked using hotelspecials.nl, don't do this! They took our credit card details, and said it had been confirmed. We assumed this meant we had paid. But when we arrived at barry, they asked us for payment. Both us and the staff at barry were very confused, but eventually we all figured it out and paid for the room.
This started us off on a bad note, and we were worried our weekend had been ruined. But on arrival in the rooms, the showers were great and the beds were comfy, what moré could you want from the price? The staff were actually really friendly and helpful too.
If you are fussy I wouldnt recomend staying here. If you just need a bed and a shower, then it's just fine.

• Stayed September 2012
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Brussels can be highly expensive during exhibition time and this place can be a relief. But do not expect any special amenities. It is like a hostel or bread and breakfast type place, but with a individual room and toilet. So in that case, it makes sense. Location is good, near a metro station. Rooms are small, service is not awesome but it is personalised. I called the reception to confirm booking and they welcomes me. Also gave special breakfast of indian cuisine. So if money is a constraint, this place can be worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I booked on line a singel room end of May 2012; I also called to make sure that the onlline reservation was ok. Surprisingly a clerk sounding jong and enthusiastic answered me in very good english, that it's ok and reassured me that the rooms are renovated!
Once there, the hotel entrance was a mess, many fully loaded containers rested waiting there right at the front door, exibiting a mix of construction materials and some food trash.
This time an older hotel employee was behind the desk. His French was very basic, so I switched to Dutch, but this was for him like Chinees, English was the language in which he roughly could expresses himself, he asked me which way I wanted to pay, before to get the keys: I reserved a none smoking quite and hopefully renovated room I remembered him. But I FIRST HAD TO PAY BEFORE HAVING ANY LOOK AT ANY ROOM. So he sent me to the second floor via the lift, which was obviously heavily used for construction work too, dirty floor and doors. The room was very dark 2,5m x 2 with a toilet /shower next, evrything was old missy, nothing renovated so as they claimed and showed on the internet, at my surprise the shower had no light Ooeps!
So I immediatly went down to that old man and tried to explain in a gentle manner what my problems were. He had a well tailored answer for me, tha's the category of hotels I checked in!!something which he couldn't mention before I paid and booked
(his English was at once much better to understand), he explained that all single rooms are not yet renovated. Ok, what about the light how am I gonna take my shower and shave before I leave tomorrow, his boss /the owner appeared from the back door leading to a kind of restaurant which was apparently rennovated to give a good filling to just arrived customers, I suppose, he anyway explained me, that there was an option if I paid more, I could get a renovated and suitable room at the top floor!
I was at once fed up, and asked for the light to be repaired, which they did after I returned from dinner.
The guy at the reception commented in a rude manner (obviously not happy with the fact that he had to change the lamp) that I must not be critical when coming to this kind of hotels, and just accept tha's the way it is. WHICH I REPLIED IN FRENCH THAT NEXT TIME I'D RATHER BE USING THE CAMPING NEXT, PACKING ALSO MY SURVIVAL KIT WITH ME BEFORE I LEAVE! but this is of course a joke he wouldn't understand, it was more intended to my self to have some fun before going to sleep.

Cheers Asrim, Netherlands.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Amin L, Gérant at Hotel Barry, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
hi
please such a big lie, you booked on booking.com and your the booking policy
second thing the room was renovated and clean this is the reason we have 95% occupancy and stisfaction from our guest
but some guest, pay normal price and expect a 5 star for the same price,
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located a minute away from a subway stop and walking distance from the city centre. The rooms are small but clean. No fantastic views - mostly windows towards walls nearby. The breakfast is croissant with juice/coffee/tee - so you might opt out of it and get something elsewhere. However for someone who needs a quiet convenient and inexpensive place this is a reasonable choice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Barry? Share your experiences!