“Ah barry....” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Place Anneessens 25, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #139 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
“Ah barry....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Well, staying at barry was an experience. We booked using hotelspecials.nl, don't do this! They took our credit card details, and said it had been confirmed. We assumed this meant we had paid. But when we arrived at barry, they asked us for payment. Both us and the staff at barry were very confused, but eventually we all figured it out and paid for the room.
This started us off on a bad note, and we were worried our weekend had been ruined. But on arrival in the rooms, the showers were great and the beds were comfy, what moré could you want from the price? The staff were actually really friendly and helpful too.
If you are fussy I wouldnt recomend staying here. If you just need a bed and a shower, then it's just fine.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Brussels can be highly expensive during exhibition time and this place can be a relief. But do not expect any special amenities. It is like a hostel or bread and breakfast type place, but with a individual room and toilet. So in that case, it makes sense. Location is good, near a metro station. Rooms are small, service is not awesome but it is personalised. I called the reception to confirm booking and they welcomes me. Also gave special breakfast of indian cuisine. So if money is a constraint, this place can be worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I booked on line a singel room end of May 2012; I also called to make sure that the onlline reservation was ok. Surprisingly a clerk sounding jong and enthusiastic answered me in very good english, that it's ok and reassured me that the rooms are renovated!
Once there, the hotel entrance was a mess, many fully loaded containers rested waiting there right at the front door, exibiting a mix of construction materials and some food trash.
This time an older hotel employee was behind the desk. His French was very basic, so I switched to Dutch, but this was for him like Chinees, English was the language in which he roughly could expresses himself, he asked me which way I wanted to pay, before to get the keys: I reserved a none smoking quite and hopefully renovated room I remembered him. But I FIRST HAD TO PAY BEFORE HAVING ANY LOOK AT ANY ROOM. So he sent me to the second floor via the lift, which was obviously heavily used for construction work too, dirty floor and doors. The room was very dark 2,5m x 2 with a toilet /shower next, evrything was old missy, nothing renovated so as they claimed and showed on the internet, at my surprise the shower had no light Ooeps!
So I immediatly went down to that old man and tried to explain in a gentle manner what my problems were. He had a well tailored answer for me, tha's the category of hotels I checked in!!something which he couldn't mention before I paid and booked
(his English was at once much better to understand), he explained that all single rooms are not yet renovated. Ok, what about the light how am I gonna take my shower and shave before I leave tomorrow, his boss /the owner appeared from the back door leading to a kind of restaurant which was apparently rennovated to give a good filling to just arrived customers, I suppose, he anyway explained me, that there was an option if I paid more, I could get a renovated and suitable room at the top floor!
I was at once fed up, and asked for the light to be repaired, which they did after I returned from dinner.
The guy at the reception commented in a rude manner (obviously not happy with the fact that he had to change the lamp) that I must not be critical when coming to this kind of hotels, and just accept tha's the way it is. WHICH I REPLIED IN FRENCH THAT NEXT TIME I'D RATHER BE USING THE CAMPING NEXT, PACKING ALSO MY SURVIVAL KIT WITH ME BEFORE I LEAVE! but this is of course a joke he wouldn't understand, it was more intended to my self to have some fun before going to sleep.

Cheers Asrim, Netherlands.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Amin L, Gérant at Hotel Barry, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
hi
please such a big lie, you booked on booking.com and your the booking policy
second thing the room was renovated and clean this is the reason we have 95% occupancy and stisfaction from our guest
but some guest, pay normal price and expect a 5 star for the same price,
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located a minute away from a subway stop and walking distance from the city centre. The rooms are small but clean. No fantastic views - mostly windows towards walls nearby. The breakfast is croissant with juice/coffee/tee - so you might opt out of it and get something elsewhere. However for someone who needs a quiet convenient and inexpensive place this is a reasonable choice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This is very much a case of what you see is what you get. It is close to one of the main railway stations (Gare de Midi), within walking distance if you feel energetic, but I took the metro which is two stops. The price was for a single room en suite, no breakfast and at under €50 for two nights, good value for money. The room was small but adequate, quite dark owing to the proximity of a nearby building, but since I only slept there, this was not a problem. The room was clean and all facilities, including free wifi worked. The lift had a problem on the first day but this was rectified within under an hour. The staff all seemed to be non Belgians (I heard Arabic but not sure from which country) and mainly unable to speak English although they tried.

The hotel is close to the city centre both for shopping and site seeing and has a metro station practically outside the front door.

If all you need is a relatively cheap and decent bed for the night with easy transport links, this one is for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Staff are rude and did not offer to help, they actted as if they where guest's of the hotel and where not proffesional. The stair case was full of dust and dirt, a building site would have been more cleaner. Cabinets where held up by door stops to stop them from falling over, how ever this did not work because i was a victum. The breakfast was poor ! When entiring the room it seemed you was in a horror movie scene due to the depressing room colour and out of date style sheets for the beds. How ever the positives are that the shower was supplied with hot water 24/7 and the bed sheets where always made!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Barry for three nights back in February. The hotel seemed to be in a poorer area of the city and there were some interesting looking characters in the local area. The hotel was clean and the rooms were basic, but nice. The hotel staff weren't very friendly, they didn't really say much but they cleaned the rooms well. I would only suggest using this hostel if you are looking for somewhere very cheap and basic.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Barry? Share your experiences!