“Not great for people driving” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alma Hotel

You added Alma Hotel to your Saves list
Alma Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue des Eperonniers 42-44 | Spoormakersstraat, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #90 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
Melbourne, Australia
“Not great for people driving”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was an average hotel. Basic, clean (albeit slight odour outside rooms). Staff were a little officious, but otherwise instructive when asked. I wouldn't recommend the hotel but for the location and price can't expect much more. Pillows and bed were not very comfortable.

For drivers, please note you cannot access the hotel to drop off bags (despite via email being told otherwise by hotel staff).

Room Tip: Ask for back of hotel away from nightclubs at the front.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
St Albans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We were very happy with our stay, more so than we expected. The staff were polite and helpful. We stayed in room 203 which was very quiet and afforded good sleep. There is a lot of street noise including car horn blowing in celebratory fashion (especially at weekends) but it sounded very distant and certainly didn't keep us awake. I'm unsure whether it would be more of a problem in other rooms.
The room was simply furnished but very clean and adequate. The shower was very good with hot water and strong flow.
We didn't have breakfast or use any other facilities.
The last day of our three night stay was wet and miserable so we, like other guests, left it until 11am to check out. We were very surprised to see the number of people staying at the hotel as it had been so quiet and we hadn't seen a soul and had even thought we might be the only ones there. This in itself was great as we are not fond of the usual noise and business of central city hotels.
Once outside the streets are alive and the atmosphere great being so close to Grand Place. The hotel is in a great location and within very easy walking distance from Central Station. If I were ever to return to Brussels I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: 203 was very quiet
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I arrived at the hotel and at first the staff was very gentle. Then I saw my room. It was a 2 storey room where on the first floor I had a bathroom with a shower and an electrical heater (because the actual heater is not working) then a cabinet and a desk. So far not big of a problem. But then there was a very steep staircase that you have to be very carefull going down if you dont wanna break a leg or something. The second floor had a bed, 2 lambs and a tv. The view of the room was walls!!! The pillow was in pieces, and there was no plug on this floor which meant that I had to charge my phone downstairs and when it rang i had to go down the very dangerous stairs to get it.
I am not finished: there was no heater on the room. I had to call the reception to make the room hotter or colder. Every time!!!
Then the batteries of the remote control were dead and the tv got stuck on a chanel. I went to the reception and the guy said there was nothşng he can do, the hotel is full he cannot give me any other remote and that he cannot go out to buy new ones because he is alone. So I had to go out and by the batteries myself from the shop next door.
Once I started sleeping in the bed, i had these itches that didnt go away while i stayed there. After brussels I stayed in amsterdam in one of the most amazing hotel and after 1 day the itches stopped.
So I will not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. It was the worst experience I ever had.
The only good thing about the hotel was the location but it is not worth it.

Room Tip: If you really have to stay here, the stay away fro the basement rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Kirltand, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Brussels is a small city so wherever you stay is probably ok but this hotel was in a very good location. One small block from Grand Place/grote market. we had a good stay but the rooms are a little old and i had a very lumpy pillow and they were not able to give me a new one. It is a 2.5 or 3 star hotel. Clean, quiet. Not unhappy with the place but not amazing. There is an amazing belgian waffle place at the end of the street. we ate there everyday!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

The hotel's location was perfect at walking distance from the train station and the Grand Place. The staff was just okay (nothing spectacular about their service). The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. I was not a big fan of having to go down the steep spiral stairs in the room to get to my bathroom...however,the bathroom was spotless.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay in Alma Grand Place.. The location was perfect (only 5 minute walk to Brussels Central station & just off the Grand Place), It was also just 1 minute walk from the Brussels Tours' meeting point which was very handy. The service was average as I felt the receptionists weren't very friendly, but the room size and the cleanliness definitely compensated for that. I wouldn't go for the breakfast as it was very expensive (15 Euros for non-citizens) and besides there is a great waffles place across the road on the corner. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely go there again.
For more details on our trip to Brussels & great restaurants & attractions, check out my blog: http://www.haveagrowthspurt.blogspot.co.uk/#!http://haveagrowthspurt.blogspot.com/2012/05/belgium.html

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Clean... quiet, peaceful sleep... courteous, helpful staff... within walking distance of so much... a wide variety of food/prices all nearby.

There are "modern" places for over E30 more/night that don't offer enough to make them worth the difference in cost.

This "side street" spot reflects and retains the atmosphere of the surrounding history.

Excellent, excellent value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Alma Hotel? Share your experiences!