“Always go here” 5 of 5 stars

manchester
224 attraction reviews
“Always go here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

.. whenever we are in Brussels. I agree with previous comments and even the "seeming" unhelpfulness of the staff at times. Put this in context: they are almost always busy or busy'ish; on most days, its mainly tourists who sit themselves in one of the best beer bars and then turn out to know nothing at all about beer. "What beer do you recommend ?" is a phrase that must make their hearts sink. This is not snobbishness - after all, does anyone ever go into a grocer's shop and ask the counter staff to recommend vegetables ? Even if you do not know a lot about beer, then the menu is laid out in styles to help you make an informed choice.

The staff are very helpful if you show interest, and this is a great beer place. Just don't ask for Heineken.

Visited July 2014

• Greek first
  • Polish first
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic place to spend the evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This place had the biggest selection of beer I saw in my visit to Belgium so I spent most of my first evening here. We sat outside at first but then also spent the wee hours upstairs in the bar so we could check out the interior which is full of all kinds of crazy stuff. The waiters were all able to pour perfect glasses of beer every time and they really knew their stuff. I was able to try loads of beers I'd never come across before. It's right next to the Manneken Pis so very easy to find.

Visited July 2014
Centurion, South Africa
7 attraction reviews
“Great Authentic Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Excellent selection of beers, lasagne to share was also very good. Located right at the Manneken Pis it creates a great atmosphere. Our waitress was very unhelpful with the menu and helping to understand the culture otherwise would have given it a 5/5

Brussels, Belgium
5 attraction reviews
“Belgian Folklore & Fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is one of those places you keep going past and saying to yourself "I really must go in there one of these days!". Well, after years of that, I finally made a point to go -- by spending an evening with the Brussels Beer Club. The Poechenellekelder is a magical place...folklore marionnettes, pictures, painting, wall murals... and great beer knowledge. The waiter asked me a few questions, brought me a beer to try and his choice was right on. I am now a big fan of Brugze Zot and managed to convert several of the guys I was with (it was the beer club, ergo mostly guys...). I watched the video on the web site, which is unfortunately only in French, if you don't speak it. It seems the owner is a Belgian folklore fan and belongs to a plethora of folklore associations. If you didn't know better, you'd swear you were in a museum -- and that's his intention. I will definitely go back -- hopefully when the owner is there so I can get a fun history lesson! Oh, and don't be misled by the fact it's right across the street from Manneken Pis. Most of their clientele is Belgian, not tourists. If you go, watch out for the man who sits at the top of the stairs on the way to the bathroom... ;-)

Visited June 2014
Lewes
“Beer cheese and people watching”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The perfect place for a huge selection of beer, good cheese and perfect place to watch people! It is right opposite the manneken pis!!