“Great place ! Service is AT THE BAR” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Bruxelles
“Great place ! Service is AT THE BAR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Reading the few previous bad reviews I have to say I totally disagree ! This place is great, very nice and spacious bar inside, very nice and sunny terrace outside, very friendly staff.
What you guys need to understand : it is self service at the bar, so don't wait for hours seated at your table !

London, United Kingdom
“Rude staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stopped in here on the way to the train station. Staff were rude, one man told me to 'shhh' so he could answer his phone. And even though he new I only spoke English he continued to speak French to me and smile weirdly. I don't know if I want to know what he was actually saying. When I went to order drinks he ignored me for a while but was staring still. And it wasn't just me, they left others waiting too while they joked around and ate food from the kitchen. Another lady had to ask if she could get served please as they all kept staring at her but just ignoring her. Food was ok. Just a small selection but was fairly tastey. €8.80 for a small salad.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“One of my best places in Bx”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Yes, it gets amazing place once you get pass the "ordering at the bar" and "slow Belgian service" and "staff having their own fun". You just have to accept it's the soul of this place. Frankly, I love their lasagna, salads, coffee and even more, I love their mojito (and I DON'T like mojito in general). I love this place. But if you want to love, you will have to breath with it. Don't come with your own expectations.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Drink Yes - Food No - Service No”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I am giving the Cafe Maison du Peuple 'Two Stars' because I have enjoyed having coffee or drinks there in the past.

Five of us went there last Sunday for brunch. We all had had good drink experiences in the past (if you can get beyond the endless wait for service).

However, 15 minutes waiting at an empty bar for rude service (even by Belgian standards), 30 minutes to be served microwave re-heated Lasagna that was frankly disgusting was far beyond my already very low expectations.

And when I say rude, I mean looking down from their poor imitation hippie sense of superiority rude bordering on aggressive at my Buddhist calm.

Misery loves company: we were five at our table and half a dozen at at the table next to ours (that were asked to move in the middle of their meal, because the staff wanted to shift some tables around, in the half empty place).

On the plus side: the cost of drinks is low.
The value for money of the food has gone down the drain with the quality.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

With a group of five we had lunch on a sunny Sunday at Maison du peuple. The waiters at this place were clearly not in the mood to work. Customers have to order at the bar, annoying if no one informs you about it, and count on waiting another ten minutes because staff is too occupied with chatting to each other. The plate of three antipasti appetizers is tiny for the excessive price of 7 euros. Moreover, it took them no less than 45 minutes to serve microwave heated lasagna, of which the core was still frozen. If you still decide to go there after this review, do remember not to sit at a terrace table too close to the building, unless you’d like to be a target for pigeon droppings.
In short, when looking for a place to have lunch in Brussels: avoid this place!

Visited April 2013