“My favourite place in Brussels” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakery, Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“My favourite place in Brussels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great for a morning coffee or a lazy brunch. This is a place with character and despite the crowd and lousy organisation mentioned in several of the previous reviews, I loved even the Sunday brunch. I liked the early mornings when it's pretty much empty more though. Food is delicious, staff is friendly, guests are tolerant and kind (which is important when they're actually sitting so close to you that it appears that you came together :D). Good wifi and fair choice of newspapers as well. I also love the vintage look of the place. And the huge cappuccino is just perrrrfect! I guess I'm pretty much in love with this place, wish I could clone it to some place more close to home. :)

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

48% Recommend
Brussels, Belgium
“A poor choice for lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had a disappointing lunch at Cafe de la Presse. I ordered the falafel bagel sandwich, which was overloaded with hummus and included mushy, flavourless falafel. Actually, it was the worst falafel I’ve ever had.

The service lowlight occurred when I helped myself to an extra napkin from the sandwich counter (needed due to the previously-mentioned overload of hummus). The sandwich maker made me put it back and instead instructed me to use the small napkins from the table-top dispensers. The staff came to the table every 20 minutes or so and removed one or two plates, but left the rest.

My companion’s salmon bagel was better (it’s hard to mess-up a salmon bagel), but I don’t understand why a restaurant which promotes its bagels only offers one flavor. My other companion did not enjoy the ham and cheese bagel, and it looked unappetizing.

Desserts looked nice, but the cupcakes were overly sweet for my taste.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Travedona-Monate, Italy
“Nice atmosphere, pretty good food but service needs improvement!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My friend and I went to Cafe de la Presse on a Sunday around brunch (though we didn't had the brunch options but just bagels and coffee) and liked the general atmosphere of the place. Definitely has an American touch. Our bagels were very good and nicely presented, with a small salad, which was nice. Organization and service are the things that will differ with anything American though! Even though you have to stand online to order your food at the counter (which I absolutely don't mind) and have no table service, they do take reservations for Sunday brunches and, when we were there, a lot of tables were reserved and empty while a lot of us were trying to squeeze in somewhere...We sat at a reserved table knowing we had only a bit of time and then were asked to leave it and, once again, I wouldn't mind if only the waitresses had been more customer-friendly and taken a minute to direct us to another table for example. They also have way too many tables and chairs, which makes it very difficult to navigate. I don't think that a place with such as system should take reservation and let everybody else hang around...either take reservation and prevent us to order food if there is no place, or make it a no reservation place where one waits for the next available spot...

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“sunday brunch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was at the brunch recently and did not like it. but first some basic facts about it:
they offer 2 types of brunch, a small one for 14 euros and the big one for 16 euros. included in the price is 1. one fresh orange juice, 2. croissants/pain au chocolat and some other rolls - all you can eat. for that several spreads are offered on each table (marmelade, speculoos creme, chocolate spread, peanut butter....) and either 4 (small brunch) or 6 (big brunch) dishes from the buffet.
and this is how it works: you have to reserve a table for one of the "brunch shifts" (10-12, 12-14 and 14-16). at the counter you get a token (after payment) which you have to give to the serving guy at the "buffet" at the entrance and he will hand over your plate. they guy will serve your dishes.

my feedback: the planning is chaotic as several mentioned before. actually I liked the café... until the brunch. it's a bit poor that no coffee, tea or milk is included as every proper brunch should have. second, 2h are a bit short and we have been hurried out at the end. I'm used to have a 4h brunch minimum.....and to have access to an "all you can eat" buffet. you are not allowed to serve yourself because the plates are limited. we had the problem that no one could really tell what the definition of one dish was. one full plate is one dish or just one portion from the buffet. if it is really just one portion = one dish, than it's heavily overpriced because the portions are tiny.
we could have overlooked that but our dishes were not really tasty. the baked potatoes were medium rare as well as the rice pudding. I had a creme brulée but it tasted burned. in the end we just kept to the croissant basket. I have to say that everything looked really nice but we could not get over the taste. maybe the real chef had a day off. we'll never know.

Once we complained about the food but the serving girl ignored us and did not come to our table again.
I was also a bit disappointed the none of the cookies, cakes or cupcakes were included..as well as the sandwiches, baguettes and bagels.

two last things: the placed was extremely crammed and they tried to put as much tables in the room as possible. We nearly couldn't access the 2 seats behind our table because they put like 5 tables on a row where there just should be 3. the "close contact" to other guests did also not help to warm up because it was quite cold in the room (snow outside) and a heater was nowhere to be seen.

the queueing issues have already been adressed so I won't comment on this.

all in all: the system should definitely be revamped. it's not really clear how many dishes are included in the price and the the total turn off are that basic beverages are not included which makes it too pricey.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Artsy mood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The nice atmosphere and the food is ideal for a late brunch. Recommended to expats due to the high number of internationals frequenting the place..

Visited July 2012