“Great location for exploring Brussels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Floris Avenue Hotel

You added Floris Avenue Hotel to your Saves list
Floris Avenue Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue de Stalingrad 25-31 | Brussels, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #144 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
Camberley, Surrey.
“Great location for exploring Brussels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Outside the Eurostar Thalys Terminus station in Brussels you will find an organized queue for taxis, (complete with taxi marshal)
We were allocated our taxi, and I presented the driver with a sheet of paper with the hotels address printed on it.
After some consideration, he said it would be 10 Euros, but that it's only a 10 minute walk from the station.
We opted for the taxi, since I didn't have a clue where I was going.
Yes, I could of used my iPhone to get us there, with a little help from Google maps, but the charges for data, even in the EU. Put me off.

The day we arrived in Brussels (10th May) there was some special festival, so there were many people out in the streets.

We pulled up outside the hotel around 5 minutes after we left the station (it really would be a 10 Minute walk)
First Impressions were good - hotel is nicely presented, clean and well lit.

Checking in, I noticed that you could buy Internet connection for 10 Euros for 24 hours (which is what I'm using to write this post!)

We were given room 304.

Room

Room was very clean, large, and spacious, with modern decor.
The bathroom was brilliant, had a bath, with shower.
The shower was extremely powerful, lots of pressure, which I like.
One thing that we noted - no soap was left for us on arrival but we did get it on day 2)

The bed, although advertised as a double, was actually two singles pushed together, but this did not matter. Was very comfortable.

We had a TV, with a type of Freeview box that allowed us to get BBC1 and BBC2.

Gym

The hotel was equipped with a "fitness room"
This was a little disappointing - not because there was not much equipment (there isn't really room) but because none of it worked.
There is:
A treadmill
A cross trainer
A bike
A multigym - Lat pull down, leg extension, pec-dec etc.

This would of been adequate for our 2 night stay, however most of the equipment did not work.
The multigym had come off its pulley system, the treadmill was missing its safety key, the bike, didn't move. The only thing working was the cross trainer.

Breakfast

Breakfast was served on level -1
Consisted of cereal, ham, cheese, fruit, pastries (croissants etc..) cooked sausages, bacon, eggs.
All in all, was very nice.

Location

The hotel is brilliantly located. Just a few minutes walk from Great Market Square and many shops.
Directly opposite the hotel was a supermarket, where we bought some things for the room, since the mini-bar was hideously expensive - €3 for a can of coke!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Alex,

First of all I like to thank you for taking the time and writing an extensive and mostly honest based review about your stay in our hotel. Your kind words are highly appreciated and motivate us to keep striving for an excellent service however, I also took the liberty of inspecting our fitness room and came to conclude that some of the stated issues in your review are incorrect;

- the treadmill is not missing it's safety key
- all pulleys for the multigym are attached + all accessories are available
- the bicycle is working perfectly fine

I truly feel sorry that you did not take up these matters to the management during your stay as we would have been able to address them more appropriately.

Warm regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed here last week and echo the previous reviewer as to breakfast buffet, location, and seediness of the area between the station and hotel. We had a large room and a large bath both of which bordered on barren. The hotel’s website room picture is accurate but shows the accent wall. All other walls are painted off-white and have no décor. We found the reception staff to be unsmiling and distant. The hotel has NO ice, no what-to-do literature, and no power adaptors (to borrow or rent). The only map is a B&W photocopy too small to be legible. Wifi was 5 euros per hour or per session whichever was shorter; i.e., one could not use the hour in increments. Finally the hotel is in a Muslim section so no stores sell wine or beer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear,

First, I would like to thank you sincerely for the efforts taken to inform us about your recent experiences within our walls. It is with major astonishment that I have gone several times through your writings. We are truly sorry for not having fulfilled all your expectations!
Rest assured that your feedback is the perfect learning school for us and we will do our utmost best to improve our services where necessary.

I sincerely hope to welcome you again one day.
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed here last month and found the hotel to be adequate for a long weekend stay. The rooms are fairly basic but have a fairly modern feel to them. We found the reception staff to be friendly and helpful when asking for recommendations, directions etc. The Breakfast buffet was fairly basic but sufficient. The location to explore Brussels was pretty good being no more than 10 minutes walk from Grand Place and 10 - 15 minutes from the Eurostar terminal Gare Du Midi. The area between the station and the hotel isn't the nicest and as one of the main gateways to Brussels i thought would have been a little easier on the eye.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lasko, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Nothing much to say about this hotel. It is there for one function only and that is to provide you with a sleep and that's it. Beds are of very good quality and I had a great relaxing sleep and that is one positive thing I have to mention. Otherwise I would say that receptionist when I checked in at around 10pm was a bit bored and at first I did not know if he is a guest or a hotel staff. Room was big and clean. Bathroom was also very big but it was a bit worn out and needs some bits of renovations. This plastic curtain on the bathtub is not suitable for 4 star hotels. I had everything wet on the floor and walls after finishing showering. Also the walls are wet and you can see that walls are slowly falling apart coz of that. But this is a common problem in Brussels. I was given the top floor and a view from the window was quite nice on the roofs of Brussels neighbourhood. Anyway price for the room was extremely high - 150EUR without breakfast. I usually stay at some place for 30EUR with better quality so in regards to price/performance this hotel is not worth the mark I give. I did not tried the breakfast so I can’t comment on that. Also Wi-Fi is not free and they charge you ridiculously high 5EUR per hour. In the era of internet this kind of service should be free of charge for all that are guests of the hotel. The last thing I can say is goodbye.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear,

thanks for staying with us and finding the time to write about your experiences at our hotel.
Only by such efforts from our customers we are able to bring our services to the next level - rest assured your review will be highly valued!

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

The Hotel is located in a quiet district perhaps halfway between the station and the Grand Place square. If you are walking from the Eurostar, expect it to take you a little over ten minutes. If I am honest, when walking towards the hotel and looking at it from the outside I was a little apprehensive as everything looked quite run down, but I needn't have worried.

We arrived at around 11am and stupidly I hadn't checked what time we could check in. So when I breezily approached the desk, the lady behind the counter looked at me a little strangely. It turned out that check in at the hotel is from 3pm, but she was quite happy to check if rooms were available early. Thankfully for us she had two rooms ready and we were given our key and told to take the lift to the second floor.

We had booked two double rooms at a cost of £77 per room. This was for two adults and included breakfast which as far as I was concerned was very reasonable. The rooms were actually pretty spacious and the bathrooms were pretty big too. There were a couple of scuff marks on the wall which make it look a bit tired but otherwise it was fine. Nothing with a wow factor but clean and tidy. A big wardrobe with plenty of space and hangers. A room safe is available for a small deposit (but we didn't bother), and as usual the TV and a mini bar (although this was empty, but couldn't complain as we got the room early). The bathroom was clean and functional, nothing more, nothing less, as well as the supplying mini bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body lotion.

As we were only staying overnight this room suited us pefectly, until..you guessed it, there's a but! I wanted to look at the view, so approached the full length window. I expected to open the window inwards and to be forced to stop halfway. My hubby is a window fitter so I am used to tilt and turn windows and all that jazz. Shockingly, the window kept opening until I was looking at a suicide lovers dream. The window opened fully (hubby reckons this is illegal) and there was no barrier, no bars and no balcony. In other words, if you have children or in my case a hubby that wanders when drunk BE CAREFUL!

Thankfully after a meal and a few too many beers the hubby managed to collapse on the other side of the bed away from the window so I had no worries there. The bed was pretty comfy as were the pillows, and all in all I had a good nights sleep.

Breakfast is served in the hotel between 7am and 10am. I don't know why but I made the assumption that the breakfast would be freshly cooked, sadly I was wrong. When we got to the dining area it was all laid out buffet style. The dining room was very nice and clean and tidy with quite a few people already seated but there were plenty of spare seats. The buffet selection, although not what I was expecting, was pretty good. There was a choice of cereals, cold meats, fruits, pastries and hot scrambled eggs and bacon. There was also a toasting machine and a help yourself tea and coffee machine. Although the eggs and bacon looked a little dubious it was actually quite nice and we were all stuffed to the gills when we had finished.

Although the hotel is not that big (the word boutique gives it away), it still has 47 rooms both smoking and non-smoking. The staff that I encountered were helpful and seemed efficient. We were provided with a map of the area and were given some brief details of how to get around. All in all it was a good level of service although their claim of being a 4 star hotel is maybe a little bit of a stretch! The hotel entrance has a number of steps and there didn't seem to be any ramps so I wouldn't go as far as to say it was disabled friendly. There are two lifts to access all floors
and they also provide a baggage room for people leaving later than check out time (which is 11am).

The hotel does have a conference room, a fully equipped fitness room (free of charge), a business lounge, WiFi access (at a charge of around €20) and a dry cleaning and ironing service.

Overall, I think this hotel was worth the money as the cost included breakfast as well as being in a pretty convenient location. There were a few flaws such as the window in the bedroom but overall it was a decent room and we had a decent stay. I would say that this hotel is perfect for those not wanting to spend fortunes.

Travelled in August 2009

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Mrs. E,

thank you very much for your extensive review about your stay in our hotel!
It is only by such means that we are able to improve our services where necessary (cfr. the balcony!).

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights in March, as most 4 star hotels in Brussels they can only be compared to 2 stars elsewhere. My room -209- was big, deco was OK, bathroom was spacious and the room was clean. Staff were nice enough and Breakfast (included in the price) was basic.

The FLORIS Avenue is located near the Grand Place and close enough to a few Metro Stops, it is clean and rooms are not too small so I would stay there again. Shame you have to pay 10Eur a day for the wi-fi connection and there was no bar downstairs or minibar either.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear,

thank you for staying at our hotel and sharing your experiences.

We are pleased to read you would stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Booked this room for a weekend-getaway with a friend. We choose it based on the location (within walking distance of both the main station and the town centre) and that really was the main thing the hotel had going for it. The main disadvantages were thin walls (noise from other rooms), cleanliness, running out of various items for breakfast, locked entrance doors at various points during the day, and general lack of customer service orientation.

Upon arrival we were given a choice between a double and twin-beds. The room turned out to be good-sized, and in addition to the twin beds it also contained an extra foldaway bed we had not asked for. This may have been left over from the previous guests - for evidently the room had not been cleaned up after they left: we found not only plane tickets, informing us of their point of origin, but also unmade beds, open shampoo bottles and used towels.

The reception staff acted very surprised when we informed them of the state of the room and promised it would be cleaned (it was cleaned in the end - but bed linen was not changed from one day to the next) for when we returned from our trip to the city. Which led to the next surprising discovery for a 4-star hotel: no maps of the city were provided at reception.

This was exemplary of the general lack of customer service at the Floris Avenue. We were told that doors would be open until 1am, after which we would have to ring the nightbell. However, when we arrived back around 9pm we found the door locked, with a paper sign asking us to wait for 5min. After waiting outside in the cold with more guests who arrived in the meantime for a while, a member of reception finally arrived to open the door, without offering any word of apology. Closing the door seemed common practice as the next day we found two elderly ladies trying to get in around 11am. This time not even a sign had been put up, the door had just been locked.

The nighttime disappointment was followed by breakfast disaster: on the first morning the hotel ran out of butter and croissants an hour before breakfast was over. We had to ask for more water to be brought out several times. On the second day there was no more baguette bread.

This was after we had been woken up by the neighbouring guests' alarmclock. Which went off repeatedly starting at 7:30am! The walls were so thin that it could be heard clearly in our room, and after they had gotten up, we could hear them talk as well. We only stayed for two nights and would have asked for a different room had this happened on our first day but we 'benefitted' from the hotel not being fully occupied and the problem only occuring on the second morning. It is further questionable whether changing rooms would have made a difference as it seems doubtful the walls would have been thicker in a different part of the hotel.

So to sum up: large room in close proximity to the station and town centre (albeit in a somewhat dodgy part of town) but walls so thin that one could hear guests in the neighbouring rooms talk, a room that was not cleaned from previous guests, locked doors and you had to be lucky to get what you wanted for breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the main street will be preferable to avoid traffic noise.