“Unique space, Friendly waiters, but my dish was bad” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #228 of 334 things to do in Brussels
Activities: Drinking, Dining
More attraction details
Owner description: A restored premier example of Art Nouveau architecture by Hamesse, a disciple of Horta.
Los Angeles, California
“Unique space, Friendly waiters, but my dish was bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I was in Brussels on business, staying a few blocks away and decided to check out De Ultieme Hallucinatie by myself on Thursday evening around 9pm. The restaurant is in an old art nouveau townhouse and even the drainage grate on the sidewalk outside, and every little piece of hardware in the place is in the art nouveau style and probably original. I really enjoyed checking out those details, especially right in the entrance to the townhouse.

I was surprised that the restaurant, which has indoor and outdoor seating areas and is no small place was almost empty. There was a couple eating in one of the old train car booths and that was it. I kind of felt like a sucker, worried I was in a tourist trap that Belgians don't really eat at but I ended up having a kind of decent experience.

The waiter was so friendly and made me feel at home. I sat inside because it was a little chilly out. Had a glass of house wine that was really cheap and the waiter brought me good bread. The waiter saw I was alone and using my iPhone and he came over with a little piece of paper where he had handwritten the restaurant's WIFI password for me. So nice!

I'm a vegetarian which can be difficult in Brussels but I was excited to see a vegetarian lasagna on the menu. Unfortunately, what arrived was not at all what I would call vegetarian lasagna. It came quickly so it must have been frozen. The pasta layer was green, I think it was a spinach pasta and then there were lots of shredded greens in it, probably spinach but it had an unappealing flavor, possible that "been frozen for too long" taste. Maybe not a lot of people order it. The whole piece of "lasagna" was floating in a thick, buttery sauce. It did not feel wholesome or hardy, just too drenched in sauce and did not taste good. The couple across from me seemed like they were enjoying a meat dish with fries so I wonder if I just ordered a dud.

I do still have a soft spot for this place and would maybe even go back with someone if I were in Brussels again and try fries and some salad because my waiter and the other older gentleman who brought a few things to my table were very nice and the place has an almost haunted, old vibe. Also, the prices were low for Brussels.

Visited April 2014

Liverpool
13 attraction reviews
“Beautiful surroundings, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was in Belgium for business last month and was recommended to visit the Ultimate Hallucination. It's a little way out of the centre of Brussels but well worth the trip.

A beautiful place, with the bar area entirely kitted out in green. I ordered the beef carpaccio for a starter which was utterly delicious, and very well presented. The entrecote I had for my main was similarly to a high standard.

The waiter was attentive and helpful with recommendations of Belgian beer to sample with my courses and I found I was enjoying myself so much I finished with a digestif of a rather delicious Dutch Oud Jenever.

Thoroughly recommended.

Visited January 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
7 attraction reviews
“Eccentric and fun - a 'Sunset Boulevard' vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Ultimate Hallucination is definitely a one-of-a-kind experience. It's housed in a former home, with Art Nouveau decoration from 1904 pretty much intact. This is not a Disney-fied, re-made version of Art Nouveau; this is the real thing, faded but very clean. You get the idea that little old ladies lived here and never changed the decor, even as the world changed around them. Most of the other diners are locals. Food is good and reasonably priced but not exceptional. Go for the experience - it's like dining in Gloria Swanson's mansion in Sunset Boulevard.

Visited February 2014
Hoogeveen, Drenthe, Netherlands
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Beautiful building and surroundings - early art deco. Food very good too. Would come back here again with pleasure.

Visited October 2013
UK
13 attraction reviews
“Very atmospheric restaurant/bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

If you like art nouveau this place is a must while in Brussels, even if it is a little off the beaten track. Good food in a stunning interior - whether you are in the restaurant part or the back room conservatory bistro part. When you first go in, it is like entering someone's house - just carry on in and you'll find the restaurant!

Visited June 2013