“Good hotel in perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place

You added Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place to your Saves list
Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Auguste Orts 3-7 / Grand Place, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #38 of 194 Hotels in Brussels
Preston, Lancs
“Good hotel in perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

I took my fiance to Brussels for his 30th birthday and really enjoyed our stay (except for the breakfasts!).
We had a room on the 6h floor which is the top floor as I had asked for a high floor in a quiet part of the hotel. Although you could hear the occassional siren this is to be expected in a city centre hotel. Our room was lovely with plenty of space and a huge king size bed.
I would recommend travelling from the airport to the hotel by train/tram rather than paying for a taxi. It was really easy and less than 10 euros each way for both of us. All you need to do is catch the train from the airport (level -1) to Gare du Nord which takes about 10mins and then take the tram (pre metro) to Beurs which is 3 stops and takes less than 5 mins. Beurs is directly outside the hotel. You have to pay separately for the train and then the tram as they are operated by different companies.
The hotel's location is fantastic for a weekend away. It is about 5mins from St Catherine's Square which is lovely at this time of year with Christmas markets, ice rink and big wheel and about 5 mins from Grand Place. We were able to walk everywhere as Brussels city centre isn't that big.
There are plenty of places to eat and drink near the hotel. However, we went in Le Coq which is a bar opposite the hotel which was like walking into a smoking pit. It was awful and unless you are a chain smoker, I would not recommend it!
The only disappointment with the hotel was the breakfast which was a complete shambles. They do not have enough staff so you are left standing around waiting for a table - a lot of the tables are left covered in empty dirty plates. Breakfast at the weekend is 6.30 to 11.30 and we arrived at 10.30 both days and there was hardly any food left. Breakfast was included in our room rate, otherwise I would have complained. Breakfast is 25 euros and I would strongly recommend that breakfast is eaten somewhere else if it is not included as it is not worth the money. I would rather have eaten at the McDonald's next door which says something!
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay at this hotel again and recommend it to others.

• Liked — Fantastic Location
  • Disliked — Awful Breakfasts
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Greek first
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

We chose the Marriott for our weekend in Brussels because it was at / near the top of the list in Trip Advisor. Because we had left it late to book, we had to buy a one bedroom suite. (The other rooms with king beds were full).

This suite was lovely - a good sized bedroom, room for 3 in the bed(!), and a nice sized lounge area too (+ good bathroom & 2 toilets). As well as this we got executive club membership included. Though the executive lounge was closed at the weekends in December (I think we could have been the only users!) we were give a free mini-bar throughout, + free drinks & desserts in the hotel bar every evening. All very welcome.

The location is perfect - right by the Bourse metro & 1 block from the Grand Place.

The breakfast was the only downside - great food, but too few staff to clear tables & replace food on the buffet, and by 10.00 on the Saturday morning it looked like a war zone, with people fighting to take over a dirty table!

• Liked — Lovely room with view over Bourse
  • Disliked — Too few staff to clear tables at breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

Well I just arrived after being in Athens during the riots...(which are still going on) geez...the hotel there (Divani Caravel) was tired for those that follow my posts you know my meaning.

It is great to be at the Marriott, bright - SUPER clean and just comfortable. Staff very friendly and the Bistro off the lobby (it has a New York City sort of vibe - nice room) has a super buffet and ask for Carine - she is a caring and clever waiter. DO NOT FORGET TO ASK FOR THE MARSHMELLOW DESSERT....just ask about it...you will smile, I promise.

Headline- you can't go wrong @ 129 EU for the weekend a great a super value.

• Liked — Clean, predictable
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Ruislip, Middlesex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

I chose the hotel because it was directly opposite Ancienne Belgique, a music venue where I was attending a concert on the Saturday night. The Marriott is sat on top of a McDonalds, and it doesn't look anything special from the outside. The reception area, though, is lovely and spacious. I was a single traveller, and they put me in Room 660 on the sixth floor. The room was very small and really quite average - nowhere near 5 star standard. The staff were friendly enough, and the location of the hotel is great for seeing Brussels. But having stayed in some lovely hotels across Europe over the years, I was underwhelmed by the Marriott.

• Liked — The location; the staff
  • Disliked — Small room; very average room quality
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

Stayed here for a family trip with our two children. Super convient location off the Bourse Metro stop, which was handy after riding the Thalys to Midi. (Thought the Brussels metro was clean and easy to naviagte)

The St Catherine's area behind the hotel had many restaurants and will have the ice rink for the Christmas markets.

The rollaway beds were the nicest I have seen for our children. There was still plenty of room in our suite with the two rollaways. The bed and the linens were great even on the children's. I love all the fresh pillows.

The main reason I would stay here again was the service help. Upon early check in we were able to decide which room would suit us better, have a drink in the lounge, our bags were brought to the rooms for us. Were were frequently asked if we needed wanted anything. Fruit in the room was a healthy alternative to the mini bar.

The second reason I would stay here again is the ability to book a proper suite. I dislike having to book two connecting rooms for our family but sometimes that is all that one can do in a city. Or I must stay in the largest room at an establishment but then my children are often on a yucky pull out couch. Here they had proper beds for the kids and we payed less then I might pay for two rooms in some cities.

I am a light sleeper and forgot my ear plugs.There were some cars honking in the middle of the night (they seemed to be blocked in ) This was not the fault of the hotel, but the windows didn't block out the sound. The rest of the family could sleep through it.

Thank you for a nice stay!

• Liked — Staff, Location, room size, shower and tub
  • Disliked — middle of night noise
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

I stayed here for one night, in the cheapest room, with one king bed. The room was very well furnished, all the amenities were excellent. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room was really perfect. Plus, if I had a laptop, I would have been very grateful for the laptop-sized safe that even had a plug in it so you could charge your laptop in the safe.

As this many indicate, however, this is a business-oriented hotel (it is right across the street from the stock exchange, after all). Since the area of interest in Brussels is rather small, even though this hotel is just outside the extremely touristic area, the location is still great and it is a very short walk to all the sights. But, you could do better if you are looking for a romantic or charming touristy hotel. If you can afford it, the Amigo seemed to have the best location, and the Novotel and Hotel Ibis Accor also were right on a charming square, next to the central station. The Meridien also seemed very central, but it also looked out upon some very dull office buildings.

In all, my stay was great, but if I were going to go again, I would try to find something less business-oriented.

• Liked — room, bed, in-room tv internet
  • Disliked — very businessy atmosphere
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

Nice hotel, typical Marriott standard. We had a nice twin room with big and comfy beds and the bathroom was lovely, with some very nice complimentary toiletries as well. Great location - about 5 minutes walk from the Grand Place and opposite the Bourse. Right next to the Bourse metro/tram station as well (which is about a 4 minute journey from the Gare du Midi if you arrive on Eurostar - very easy journey even if you're doing it at 11.30 pm like we did). Breakfast is quite good, lots of food on offer (cereals, bacon, eggs, cheese, cold meats). Staff were great at clearing up quickly and very efficient, providing tea or coffee the moment we sat down. We didn't eat an evening meal in the hotel although you can do, but there is a really nice restaurant opposite the hotel called le grand café which is well worth going to.

Rooms had complimentary tea and coffee. My only gripe with this place is that they tried to charge us for a 'minibar' item we hadn't used: they place a bottle of evian water next to the free tea and coffee in the room, which makes it look like the water is also complimentary as there's no price card next to it (and there is a separate minibar with a price list anyway). We didn't use this water, but it was replaced every day we were in the room and we got charged for it despite not using it. To be fair, once we queried this, it was taken off our bill straightaway with no questions asked. Makes me wonder how many people are being charged for it though...

Despite this, I would stay here again as it was a comfortable and central hotel, and very clean. Sights are all within walking distance so you don't even need to use public transport while you're here (Brussels really isn't that big).

• Liked — Nice rooms, very clean, comfy beds
  • Disliked — Tried to charge us for minibar item we didn't use
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place? Share your experiences!