“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Galia to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Hotel Galia
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15-16 Place du Jeu de Balle | Vossenplein, Brussels, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #143 of 194 hotels in Brussels
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is a small and confortable hotel, the service is good, we had breakfast included and it was a nice one, also the restaurant is very cosy, our room was clean, quite, bigger than we were expecting because of the other hotels in Europe that we visited... The only thing that was a little shocking for us, was the location, because there is a flea and antiques market just in front, so in the mornings the square looks dirty, and at nights it looks a Little insecure, but we walked around and absolutely nothing happened. It was a nice experience, I would recomend it for sure.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hasselt, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We wented to this hotel for a short trip of three days with a group.
Our room was in the back.

We couldn't open the door, it was blocked. When we pulled with all our weight it opened. The guy at the reception refused to come help.
There were only 4 very tiny towels, no pillow cases, no glasses in the bathroom, the room was filty, mould everywhere. The toilet wasn't cleaned, you had to sit across on the toilet 'cause the sink was placed too nearby the toilet. The building isn't isolated so you could feel the wind trough the walls. The next day we could't have clean towels 'cause they were out of towels.

The matras was full of dirty things (I didn't want to know what it was) of other people. I wanted a pillow case, the pillow was just nasty. The guy at the reception said they went trough their pillow cases and gave me a blanket to pull over the pillow.
I'm asking: wich solid hotel doesn't have clean pillow cases, doesn't have enough towels for all the guests and refuse to help their guests?

Breakfast: not much choise! No youghurt, no apple juice, no fruit. Just orange juice, coffee or water. Loafs of bread, cheese, salami, baguette and croissants. You could also take cereals.

I definitely NOT recommend this hotel!! It is very overpriced. I'll never come back to hotel Galia!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Cracking hotel a 10 minute walk from The Grand Place, Stayed for 3 nights clean towels every day rooms cleaned daily, 24 hour reception, breakfast is continental and had plenty of fresh breads,meats,cheeses and choices of cereal's and fruit juices, only downside was no tea or coffee making facilities were available in the room's.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This hotel is best described as quirky. Its in a lovely square where a flea market is held every morning, so lots going on. The hotel lobby looks a bit down at heel, and their admin leaves a little to be desired. I was staying here as part of a group attending a conference and the hotel was booked for us. I arrived with a visually impaired colleague and his guide dog, the reception staff were very helpful, but told us they were overbooked and that some of our group would have to share - reading other reviews it seems that overbooking is a problem here. However, my colleague and I were the first to arrive and were able to get single rooms. There were also two other people at reception having the same problem when we arrived, so make sure you check that they actually have a room for you

The hotel has free wifi, which I appreciated had no problem connecting to - though the connection did drop out a couple of times and the signal could have been stronger.

The lift here doesnt work (and looks like it hasnt worked in years) so I would strongly advise anyone with mobility problems to check if the lift works before booking. Fortunately my colleague carried my v heavy suitcase up the stairs (my room was on the second floor). My room itself was fine if very small, however, it was clean, and the bathroom, again small but perfectly useable and clean. The toilet itself is in a very strange little alcove in the bathroom, odd.

There was very little storage space in the room and enough room to hang about three items of clothing, and just enough room on the desk for my laptop. The room was nicely decorated and had lovely windows which opened (always a plus) however my room was at the back of the hotel, and was very badly overlooked by another building. I prefer to sleep with the curtains open which simply wouldnt be possible here as the other building was so close, it also makes the room quite dark. There was also no full length (or even half length mirror and that needs to be rectified, although the room was small, a mirror could have been fixed to the door.

The breakfast room was lovely full of interesting objets and the breakfast itself was excellent, a small buffet with the usual cheeses, pates, ham lovely fresh bread and fruit
The location of the hotel is okay, but I would have preferred somewhere closer to a metro station for access to the centre of town, which is about 20 minutes walk away. To get into the city centre, you need to be able to walk up some quite steep hills - so be prepared. There are major rebuilding works taking place in this area so some parts of the hotel must get quite noisy. There are a lot of good value restaurants nearby. Also there is a small shop a bout 2 minutes walk away so you can pick up supplies of water, fizzy pop and fruit, crisps, sweets etc

The building next door to the hotel is a public swimming pool, so really convenient and good value. The hotel is in a very mixed area ethnically, which I - being fairly mixed ethnically myself and living in a very mixed area of London enjoyed, and had I not been going on the Germany before returning home, I may well have bought myself one of the lovely tagines available in the local food store or taken home much of the flea market!

I probably wont stay here again next time i come to brussels, but mainly because I prefer to be closer into the city and the places where my meetings are taking place, I think our conference organiser must have thought we needed the exercise! Also, the weather was lovely during my stay, and walking even up hill was great, but it would have been a very different matter if it had been raining But I would recommend it for people who are here for a weekend break or other holiday and have time to meander about the flea market, antique shops and cafes. I wouldnt recommend the hotel for people with disabilities as its accessibility is very poor, and I would recommend checking that the lift was working before booking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Brussels' most authentic neighborhood, Place du Jeu de Balle, Vossenplein in Flemish, is the place where every morning a flea market is going on. Let’s say from around six AM until one o’clock noon you can find incredible bargains at a fraction of what you would pay at the Paris Puces. So waking up in this scenario is great fun. The hotel is very young and friendly. Rooms crazily decorated, bathrooms ok and everything is clean. The breakfast area is ever so charming. Perfect bread, pate and cheese... During the day you can have lunch and dinner here too. Even outside on the sunny terrace if you wish. And you meet the rarest specimen, not your usual hotel guests. From young Japanese to old antique collectors, artists, musicians...

Room Tip: rooms facing the square can be noisy in the morning
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

short distance from train but far enough that you are away from the train station shabbiness. There is substantial construction taking place on the square right in front of the hotel. But the windows are pretty good at keeping out the noise. A walk up the Blaesstraat takes you straight into the city. It is a fine place, small rooms, mattresses could be replaced.... If you are looking for a good discount hotel, this will work well. Stayed also at Les Bluets in Brussels and it was much better for about the same price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Hotel Galia? Share your experiences!