“Nice Hotel, close to everything.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Saint Nicolas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Marche Aux Poulets, 32, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #129 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice Hotel, close to everything.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We arrived about 11am and the receptionist was very friendly in offering to store our cases in the baggage room as check-in is 2pm. This hotel is about 7 mins walk away from Brussels Central station and 3 minutes walk from the Grand Place. Room was ready bang on 2pm. There are only lifts up to the rooms are they were a bit creepy but we never had any problems with them. The hotel said they were in the process of renovations and we were the first guests to stay in our newly refurbished room. The room was fabulous, very clean and spacious and includes a hairdryer. It can get a bit noisy at night as there is a club on the other side of the road and a casino nearby but the windows are very thick so it keeps out most of it and my earplugs kept out the rest so I recommend bringing a pair. Breakfast wasn't included in our booking but could be added for €10 per person per day. We just chose to eat breakfast in a cafe up the road for less than €5. Over all we had a very pleasant stay and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
Mijdrecht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. It is close to the city center, so convenient for a city trip. But noisy at night because of a night club near by.
When we were there they said they were in the middle of a renovation. But after renovating a room you expect that they would clean it first before putting customers in it. But they didn't and I stepped in a big rusty nail, there was (saw)dust all over the place and the curtains were hanging off the rail.
The beds were old and need replacement.
There are no stairs for guests and the only fire escape exit was blocked with broken beds and chairs. So in case of a fire, you will not get out alive.
The breakfast buffet was poor, there was no fruit at all, just some different types of bread, some cheese and lunch meats. All covered in fruit flies!!!!
Luckily the staff were friendly. Maybe they feel bad about their own hotel as well, because the question 'did you enjoy your stay?' wasn't asked when we checked out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel's only about five minutes' walk from Brussels Centraal, and about thirty seconds' walk from the Grand Place so very convenient for shopping/museums/restaurants. However, being in a busy area and opposite a casino and a pub it was noisy at night through to the early hours.
Our room was clean, light, and comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful. Wi-fi in the room was free. The hotel itself is surprisingly easy to miss - keep an eye out for the business-like glass walls opposite the casino. All main attractions are within very easy walking distance, such as the Manneken Pis, the Magritte Museum, and the Parc Royal. There was not much in the way of technology in the room - the television was pretty basic, & c. - but there was no real need to be in the room very much, there was a lot to do and see.

Room Tip: If you are not a heavy sleeper, ask for a room away from the street, particularly if you are travell...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not good. I stayed here whilst on a work trip and it was not particularly cheap so I st least thought it would be on a par with the IBIS I had been staying in in Paris the few nights previously - boy was I wrong!

The reception is misleading, as it looks fairly decent and welcoming. The rooms however are a different story. For my first night I staying in a room which looked over the Main Street, it was clean enough but the carpet looked very old and didn't look like it had seen a Vax in a while. It also had a Nokia television. I actually think Nokia stopped making TVs in the early 90s. I think the furniture was that old too because things were either broken or begged not to be touched in case you broke them.

Anyway, I can probably make do with an old TV, horrible carpet and furniture which is falling apart if I'm going to get a good night sleep, which is pretty much the basic requirement of a night in a hotel but no...

The NOISE, my god!! Even though my room had double windows, they were so badly fitted and obviously done on the cheap that it made no difference. Drunkards, police cars, trucks - you name it! I felt like I was in an episode of Cops. I think I got about 4 hours sleep that night - if that!

Anyway I complained the next morning and was promptly given a new room at the back of the building which was much quieter. It felt a bit creepy and I was worried about security, especially when I noticed the door to the fire escape near my new room wide open and no one around.

Quality wise the room was no different to the first, but thankfully it was much quieter and I managed to get a decent night's sleep.

As I was concerned about security, I did want to use the safe but it wasn't working, I then tried to hide my laptop in a drawer and it fell apart in hands. It started to get quite comical really, but then I shared a lift with a man with a broken nose who was so drunk he couldn't even press the lift button - at 8.30 in the morning!! I stopped laughing.

What surprises me really about this hotel is that in doing everything on the cheap, they've actually made things worse for themselves because they're just going up have to re-do everything to make sure anyone has a decent stay. The sound proofing on the front rooms would be a good place to start!

So basically, I wouldn't recommend staying here at all. G

• Stayed June 2013
Carine B, Directeur général at Hotel Saint Nicolas, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Ms,

We are really sorry that you had a bad experience with our hotel.
Just so you know, we bought the hotel more than one year ago and it hasn't been rennovated for 20 years. But we are now doing renovations, we hope 50% of the rooms will be totally renovated for the end of August.
As for the noise, unfortunately, that is part of the inconvenients when you choose an hotel located in the city center of Brussels. We re-did all windows but we cannot stop outside noise when windows are open.
So again we are sorry that your experience wasn't what you expected but we invite you to come after the summer and give it another chance cause by than, most of the hotel will be renovated.

Best regards
Uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I've given the stars for the friendly and helpful staff, for the cleanliness of our room and the central location which was perfect for us as we had all the action on our doorstep and the train station was only a 5-10 minute walk away.
I had to deduct stars though as it wasn't what we were expecting. We booked through LateRooms and we thought we had a great deal - £430 room for £68. As you can imagine, we thought we'd found ourselves a wonderful bargain in a luxury hotel. However, there is no way in the world that quote was genuine as the room value really should only be about £50-£60 a night, and that's largely due to location, not room quality.
The room was small and I think it was also a smoking room as there was an ashtray in it when we arrived and the chambermaids left the window wide open to air it.
We had no kettle, or indeed any basic facilities at all - just a cheap wardrobe and desk. The TV was a tiny old fashioned box sitting on a chair.
The worst part though was the NOISE. Oh my goodness!! Thankfully we didn't have a street facing view (instead a view of a tired rooftop) but the noise from the corridors was loud enough. We were woken all the time by people walking past our door as the floorboards were very squeaky and made a racquet. Even when people were whispering as they passed (most didn't and were very loud) we could hear every word they were saying!! Made us wonder if they could hear us, too!
Our door banged a lot during the night and when people were unlocking their doors in the next room it sounded like they were unlocking ours, such was the banging and noise, which understandably woke us in a panic every time.
We had a difficult night's sleep and were glad we were only staying the one night. Bed was very bouncy too which didn't bother me, but my fella had trouble with it!

Only stay here if you get a good deal, you are a really heavy sleeper and want to be by the action.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir
We are sorry that the rooms desappointed you, but for your information, we are rennovating our rooms and hope that at least 50% will be finished by the end of the summer.
Hope our service and location convinced you anough to give it another try with our rennovated rooms.

Best regards
Edinburgh, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My experience of the hotel wasn't as bad as some of the other reviews. Room was ok and the shower was nice and powerful. There was a lot of noise from the street until around 2am. It's a good central location but be careful, I had my mobile phone stolen in the street nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Saint Nicolas? Share your experiences!