“Big rooms, no heart” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue du Chatelain 17 | Brussels, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #37 of 193 hotels in Brussels
“Big rooms, no heart”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My room was huge but every item had a label on it saying "this costs so many euro". Felt extremely unfriendly, no idea of hospitality, especially for the money we were paying which was quite a lot. Our room was over the entrance to the garage so got woken up very early each morning. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed November 2012
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Orangeandorange,

Thank you for taking time to share your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the size of your room as well as the breakfast we propose to our guests.

Our priority is to satisfy our guests as much as we can so be sure we took well note of your comment.

We hope to have the pleasure and the luck to welcome you at the hotel Le Châtelain during your next stay in Brussels.

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel was in a very nice part of the city. You are about a 10 minute taxi ride to the Grand Place (around 10-15 Euro ride, one-way) and a 10 minute walk from the heart of the Louise shopping district. It is also located very close to a tram stop that you can take into the Grand Place, or anywhere else in the city. There are cafes and restaurants near the hotel so you will be able to find something to eat/drink if you want to stay in the area. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear UGADawg2006,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your kind feedback about your stay at the hotel Le Châtelain.

I am glad to read that you appreciated the location of the hotel which is not far from the Grand Place by taxi or tram/metro and next to the Louise shopping district also.

Our priority is to satisfy our guests as much as we can so we are happy to read that you appreciated the staff.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you at the hotel Le Châtelain during your next stay in Brussels.

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Our Junior Suite was nice but the furniture was "aged" at places. The bathroom was big enough and the amenities were good, including iPod station. The breakfast was disappointing especially for 28€pp. It lacked choices, good pastries and healthy options. However, the staff was very friendly and competent throughout our stay.
Overall good experience but far from true 5* star hotel!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Laetisz,

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the size of the bathroom and it’s amenities as well as the iPod station that we propose to our guests in the room.

Finally, I am very pleased to read that you appreciate the kindness of the staff. We always try to do our best in order to satisfy our guests and we will continue on that way.

Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for business and the hotel was adviced by the people who organised the meeting. I was not expecting much but surprised by my stay in this small but nice hotel. If I was on vacation I would prefer to stay at a hotel closer to the metro and to the touristic places of Brussels such as Grand Place but this hotel was also at a nice area where the most famous boutiques were located (Avenue Louise) and still in walking distance to the Grand Palace if you do not mind walking 30 minutes. The rooms were clean, big enough to feel comfortable, nicely decorated. It was quiet and relaxing, and looked safe as you have to use your room key to enter to the hotel after certain time. I also forgot my engagement ring on the table whole day and found it at the same spot ; which might not be the case at lots of places. The staff was kind and very helpful and the breakfast was better than most of the 5star hotels with a good selection and variety. There was free wifi at the lobby but you had to pay if you wanted to use in the rooms, unless you make your reservation at their website- than it is free in the room as well. I noticed a very nice-looking garden outside but can not use because of the cold weather- it may be nice during summer. As a summary I enjoyed the hotel and can stay again.

Room Tip: If you make reservation from the hotels website, the wifi in the rooms are free
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear inci61,

I am glad to read that you appreciated the cleanliness, the size and the decoration of your room.

The hotel is not located next to a metro stop, but we have a tram stop located next to the hotel and for your information this tram goes to Louise which is one of the metro stations.

It is our priority to satisfy our guests and we will continue on that way.

We really hope to have the pleasure and the luck to welcome you at the hotel Le Châtelain during your next stay in Brussels.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We booked using lastmintue.com secret hotel deal and did not know what to expect. We were very lucky and got the booking for a great price. We could not fault this hotel, it was absolutely lovely. The rooms were very clean and well presented. The staff were very helpful and attentive, especially the reception. The breakfast was very nice with plenty of choice and we were lucky they had a half price breakfast on the Sunday.
My only critique, and it is a minor one is I would challenge whether this is really a 5* hotel. Granted it is a very nice hotel but for a 5* you tend to expect bells and whistles and all the trimmings but this hotel was somewhat more understated.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear shop2wow,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your very kind and detailed comment about your stay in our hotel.

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and specifically the cleanliness of your room, our very various and complete breakfast as well as the proficiency of our staff.

Be sure that our first preoccupation is to satisfy our guests so we will continue on this way and do our best in order for our guests to feel good in our hotel.

I really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the hotel Le Châtelain during your next stay in Brussels.

Best Regards,
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

WIth any hotel, the first 5 Minutes, and the last 5 minutes are the most important for a guest, as this is what remains the strongest for them.

Upon arrival the receptionist was occupied with a guest, but gave us guest recognition and attention, but giving us eye contact, welcoming us and information that she will be at our service once she finishes with her current guest...........;;very impressive.....

All details were confirmed as per the reservation, rate, room ect. We were just not given a brief inventory: Where and when breakfast is served, and where the gym was.

The room (superior room) was as expected, very clean, furnature kept in good condition, all electrical outlets were functional.

Room service quality was very good, staff though a bit dull, and uniterested, no guest recognition not guests name used.

Breakfast Buffet was by far one of the best that I had seen, well done. Good selection and variety. Although a little more attention with the state of tupper ware, chipped plates, tea pots.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Tackos,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your very kind and detailed feedback about your stay at the hotel Le Châtelain.

I am very glad to read how you appreciated and enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We always do our best in order to satisfy our guests and I am happy to know that you liked the cleanliness of your room as well as the good condition of your room, the quality of our room service, the high selection of our breakfast buffet and also the professionalism of all the staff.

We really hope to have the pleasure and the luck to welcome you again at the hotel Le Châtelain for your next stay in Brussels.

Best Regards,
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked a hotel room at the Châtelain for one night, at the time I arrived at the reception I have been welcomed by a guy who was far from being friendly, colder than an iceberg! Not the kind of attitude you expect from a FIVE star hotel.. It was almost a big deal to go through the check-in process as I have been asked my Visa card to be checked again and again ( copy not sufficient??). Then I have been asked to pay the reservation amount + an extra money of 50 € insurance. By reading another review, I noticed they charged the person 100 € extra - which suggests the hotel doesnt have any clear rules of what or how much to charge?

The room was just Okay for a 5 star hotel, the thing that really bothers me was the fire alarm lights, fixed just in the middle of the bedroom's roof.. how can you possibly have a propoer sleep with having this shiny light every 2 seconds?

At the check out same thing: I ask for the bill and I discover we have been charged for 2 breakfast instead of 1. The respceptionnist didn't seem to believe me and called the waiter who wasn't sure about himself, just standing there and looking at us... At the end they have cancelled the extra charge but looking back at the whole thing makes want to never come back to that hotel again.. Unless they change the whole staff or teach them how to smile to clients and say "good morning sir"....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Ydel0rme,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time to share your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are very sorry to learn that you were disappointed by your stay and we sincerely regret that the delivered service didn’t meet your expectations. We have taken carefully note of your comments concerning this and be reassure that we will take the necessary actions in order to improve the satisfaction of our guests.

Despite your disappointment, we hope that you will give us the chance, during a next stay at the hotel Le Châtelain, to prove you that we can deliver a much better service quality as the one you unfortunately received.

Victor Camhis

Been to Le Chatelain Hotel? Share your experiences!