“lovely brussels” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 194 Hotels in Brussels
Dusseldorf, Germany
“lovely brussels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really loved my room in this hotel. It had absolutely everything I wanted. It was typically Brussels not trendy but really comfortable. My only complaint is the staff that were on duty did not seem to know the area at all. I was trying to get to a street which was about four blocks away but the guy on reception had no idea where it was

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear redredrose66,

We would like to thank you for your kind feedback about your stay at the hotel Le Châtelain.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel and particularly the comfortable room we gave you for your stay.

Concerning our receptionist, it might be a misunderstanding between you because our staff knows the city of Brussels and more again the area where our hotel is. For the next time do not hesitate to check on our website where you will find a link to Google Maps which could also help you to find a place near the hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you at the hotel Le Châtelain for your next stay in Brussels.

Best Regards,
Victor Camhis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

this vaction was one of our best that we have ever had!
starting with a warm welcome of the hotel crew
state of the art service
the breakfest includes a large selction of local treats
the mobility is fantastic there is a tram a minute walk from the hotel that gets you everywere
the hotel is located within 15 minutes walking distance from most of the major sites
definitely coming back!

Room Tip: all of the rooms are top class, clean and comfortable
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Liora D,

We would like to thank you for giving us a very nice feedback about your stay at the hotel “Le Châtelain”. It is a real pleasure for us to read that you did appreciate your stay in Brussels.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the warm welcome of our staff, the breakfast we offered you as well as the ideal location of the hotel.

Be sure that your kind feedback has been forwarded to all our dedicated staff, which daily try to make your stay the best you could have.

We are happy to know that you would like to come back at the hotel Le Chatelain and so we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

St Albans UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This relaxed hotel has pleasant rooms and we found the staff very helpful in every way. Its a long way from a metro station but has good trams including one to the Midi station (81). Also the hopon/hop off tourist bus stops nearby. Breakfast is far too expensive though and the cafe on the Avenue Louise does fine. A pelasant neighbourhood on both sides of Av Louise, with good choice of bars and good value places to eat. We were very happy with our stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Hedgehog44,

First of all, we would like to thank you for giving us your feedback about your stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

We are glad to hear that you particularly enjoyed the comfort of our rooms as well as the friendliness and helpfulness of our employees.

We are very pleased to know that you were happy and satisfied with your stay. I can assure you that we will continue our efforts and improvements in order to always increase our guests’ satisfaction.

We really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

Directeur Général
Lenzerheide, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I arrived late evening, brought to the hotel by my daughter (who was accompanied by our dog) and said (in French) a friendly good evening, and that I had a reservation. The receptionist did not say good evening, but harshly almost threw me out of the hotel (as if I was a begger) saying "Dogs are not allowed here!!! Please go outside!!" My daughter immediately replied, but the dog will not stay, it's only my father that wants to check in! However, the receptionist continued to almost yell at us that we should get out of there right away (my daughter took the dog right away and left the hall). This made me make a remark whether the receptionist now would make my check-in or not. Obviously, although I had given my name, the receptionist had ignored what I had said. So we started all over again. I showed my passport and my credit card. He left, came back with a charge slip of the credit card that stated that the costs of the two nights had been taken as a security, plus € 100 (he did not explain why that mark-up was made). So I took the credit card, put it back into my wallet, and expected the key to be handed out. The receptionist then said, I need to see your credit card. I said that I had just given it to him, that they made a security charge, and what he would need the card for again? He said he needed to check whether the number was the same (well, the full number was not even visible on the security receipt...). No explanation was given as to where to find my room, where breakfast would be served, or what other service the hotel might offer...well, I'm a grown-up traveller and will find the room, but this behavior really made me want to leave the hotel right away and take something else...

The room (allegedly an upgrade from "superior" to "executive" was a normal room. No WiFi in the room, you have to go to some of the common areas.

Breakfast is normal, nothing special but not bad. Juices are not fresh, but ordinary Minute Maid style juices.

I did not try the restaurant (though I had eaten there during conferences previously), so I cannot comment.

Overall, this hotel fell to the bottom of my list of hotels in Brussels due to this unacceptable and utmost unfriendly behavior of the receptionist. Had he said, "Good evening and welcome to the Le Chatelain! Sir, may I say that we do not appreciate dogs in our reception hall?", that would have been professional. But that is not what this hotel aims to be.

Room Tip: Take a room to the rear of the hotel - avoid a room facing the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear mschuette4,

We really would like to thank you for giving us a very detailed and precise feedback about your stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

We are sorry to hear that you received such a cold greeting and therefore didn’t felt welcome at all. Generally, our hotel is rather known for its warm welcome as well as for the courtesy and politeness of our receptionists. We wish you could have received this level of service as well.

We also regret that you were not convinced by the size of the room, which is frequently considered as very large and satisfying by our customers. Moreover, as you mentioned you had in fact an upgrade from a 22 square meters Superior room to a 32 square meters Executive room, logically supposed to be much bigger.

Be sure that all your useful comments will be taken into account so that further actions can be undertaken. I can assure you that we will do all the necessary to improve the satisfaction of our guests.

Regarding the Reception issue, I will personally take care of this and inform all the concerned employees and measures will be set so that such situation never happen again.

Despite you disappointment, we hope that, during a next stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel, you will give us a chance to prove you that we are able to deliver a much better service than the one you unfortunately received. .

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had a very important exam, so I chose this hotel almost entirely because the rooms are supposedly "soundproof." This may be true of rooms that aren't adjoining, but I did not get one of those. I got a room from which I could hear literally everything my neighbors did, from talking to having sex to listening to music. I have had better soundproofing in 2-star hotels. I went down to ask for a new room, and was told I would have to pay for an upgrade in order to get a silent room. Other than this, the service was alright, though by no means exceptional - for example, I discovered I left my charging cord behind, but was never told of this (past hotel managers have driven to my ferry to return forgotten phones). The bathroom was nice, but the shower would not stay a single temperature. The pillows were nice, but the beds were hard, and the room was an average size. Frankly, everything but the soundproofing was average, and the soundproofing was terrible. You could get an equally nice hotel much cheaper in the same area, or pay the same amount for a nicer hotel in the city center. Don't waste your money here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Laura L.,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing with us you experience at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

We are very sorry to hear that your room was so noisy and the soundproofing not sufficient. Generally, our hotel is rather known for its serenity, calmness and quiet neighborhood. We wish you could have taken benefit of this as well.

We also regret that you were not convinced by the beds and the bathroom as the comfort of the room and the quality of our mattresses are regularly listed as our key assets by our frequent customers.

We sincerely regret that you were so disappointed by your stay and that we were not able to deliver a service quality meeting your expectations. Be sure that all your useful comments will be taken into account so that further actions can be undertaken.

I can assure you that we will do all the necessary to improve the satisfaction of our guest.
We will especially put a special effort in improving the soundproofing of our rooms so that we don’t receive similar complains in the future anymore.

Despite you disappointment, we hope that, during a next stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel, you will give us a chance to prove you that reviews like yours are seriously taken into account.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

What a pleasant surprise in Brussels for a great price. Listed as a 5* on several hotel reservation websites and lives up to it. Probably the best thing about this property is the size of the rooms. I was on a business trip and my wife and young son joined me halfway through and it is so hard to find a room anywhere in Europe that is large enough for three. When I found the Le Chatelain and walked into the property I knew my next 7 days would be fantastic. The front desk people are very, very helpful from suggesting restaurants, helping with luggage, getting a taxi, anything. The room was a delight in that it offered all that I needed and while it is referred to as an all suite hotel, well, I guess you could say that. I refer "suites" to having a separate bedroom but this room had a wonderful sitting area with a fold out sofa and two chairs. Separate toilet room to the main bath which had a stand up shower and a bath tub. The location, for me, is ideal. The Rue Lousiza area is a respite from the central Brussels mayhem but it is close enough to walk (if you don't mind a 30 min walk) or extremely accessible to mass transit.

Wifi is available for free in the lobby but runs a pretty steep price if you want it in your room. I have found this almost is the norm in the EU and actually forces me to get out of the room for a bit. I didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment.

I highly recommend this site and also found that their website offers nearly identical rates to other sites but offers a chance to cancel. Well managed property, that is for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear AirTrafficMan,

We would like to thank you for your nice and detailed feedback about your last stay at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

We are very pleased to hear that you especially appreciated the size of the room and the kindliness of our staff.

Be sure that your kind and motivating comments have been forwarded to all our employees, who do their best everyday to satisfy any needs and requests of our guests.

We are glad to know that you had a good time with us and that you spent an enjoyable week in our hotel.

During your next stay in Brussels, we really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Le Chatelain Boutique Hotel.

Kind regards,
Ronde, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is my preferred hotel in Brussels - and I have tried many. Quite location just outside Avenue Louise, very spacious and well-appointed rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff at reception, nice cosy and well-appointed bar. Was there also once for a conference with lunched served; food was very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Le Chatelain Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Klaus G,

We would like to thank you for sharing your nice comments with us on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy that your enjoyed both the location, the comfort of the rooms, the bar, the food and the friendliness of our employees.

Be sure that your kind feedback had been forwarded to all our dedicated staff, which daily try to make your stay a wonderful one.

It has also be transmitted to our kitchen crew, especially our new Chef, who does his best everyday to serve you the best possible food quality.

We are very glad to be your preferred hotel in Brussels and we will do our best to remain your fist choice for your next stays.

We hope to have to pleasure to welcome you soon at Le Châtelain Boutique Hotel.

Victor Camhis

Been to Le Chatelain Hotel? Share your experiences!