“Nice hotel in great location, brought down by poor service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #54 of 194 Hotels in Brussels
London, UK
“Nice hotel in great location, brought down by poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Room and amenities were very nice, location was excellent, but for a 5 star hotel, the service was very poor. Housekeeping somehow managed to not clean the room at all, which is a rather basic mistake. I had been out of the room from 9am until midnight, and when I got back had to ring the front desk just to get towels, more coffee, etc. Then had to wait up 40 minutes until almost 1am when the towels were finally brought, and a bit longer until they brought some more coffee and tea for the morning. Ended up regretting that I even called at all.

Anyway. I think the poor service might have been a fluke, but I still wouldn't stay here again. For the money and the supposed 5 star rating, the service was stupidly bad. Go to the Le Meridien or one of the others right around the same area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louis V, Directeur général at Royal Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Ian K,

Further to your comments, we sincerely regret the short full of our housekeeping service whilst staying at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place - Brussels, this incident is most unusual and does not reflect our usual standard of service.

We would very much like to recreate your faith into our service and therefore should you be a regular guest to Brussels, please do not hesitate to announce your forthcoming via resa.royalwindsor@warwickhotels.com so that I can oversee your stay personally.

With my repeated apologies for this unusual oversight.

Area general Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My first impression was perfect!

The lobby looks nice and I loved my wooden room and the international TV.

Breakfast in the room was terrible and at check out I realised I paid twice what my colleague did for a smaller room!...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Louis V, Directeur général at Royal Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Sophie,

Many thanks for sharing your comments with us.

I am very pleased to read that you like our Business Premiere “wooden room”’ and its facilities (tea & coffee, international TV, in-house movie and Internet). We have taken good note of your remarks of the breakfast served in the room and rest assured that it has been shared with our Restaurant Manager in order to maintain our high quality of breakfast with his selection of delicacies (waffle, pancakes, cheeses…).

Should your reconsider to stay in Brussels, please check our website www.royalwindsorbrussels.com and its promotional Business Premier package, featuring the Business Premier Room and a numerous of advantages such as complimentary breakfast, tea & coffee facilities, in-house movie, wireless and access to our sauna and fitness room.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The last time i reviewed the Windsor i was a bit underwhelmed. This time it is obviously structurally the same, but everything worked and the service was better. So well done in improving, but the hotel is still a little drab and dowdy, brilliantly located. but just a little too average. My advice, Get a good deal, and you wont be too disappointed. Pay to much and you will wonder what you paid for.( a bit like i always feel in London actually!)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear gringottsgoblin,

Many thanks for your kind words with regards to our improvement.

Please be informed that the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place is undergoing a rolling over program of improvement its facilities, made available to his guest.

Should you reconsider to visit Brussels, we will be pleased to provide you with one of our new decorated room and shortly we will be introducing new technologies in order to enhance our visitors experience whilst staying at the Royal Windsor Hotel Grand’ Place.

Finally, why not consider one of our promotions in our Business Room which offers complimentary breakfast, tea & coffee facilities, in-house movie, wireless and access to our sauna and fitness room.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Osaka, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We spend 3-4 months a year in 4 or 5 star hotels abroad but such things that happened today in Royal Winsdor Hotel have never happened before. We arrived today morning and have been staying in the hotel after checking-in at 2p.m. because the staff of the hotel made us so angry and disappointed that we have no wish for sightseeing and regret choosing this place to stay. We booked the hotel because it was written in booking.com that it was 5 star hotel but we couldn't see any stars out nor in the hotel. We arrived around 10 a.m. so it was clear to us we would not be able to check-in yet but anyhow I went to the reception to ask to keep our baggage. There were 3 people at the counter and some guests checking-out so I waited in a line. When there was my turn, I asked if we could check-in. The man, called Marc, rudely said: " Go there. Can't you see that this is not a reception?" He pointed to his badge proudly and asked me if I didn't know the work of concierge. I said that there is nothing written nor for a reception nor for a concierge and there was only one long counter. He said rudely that it was written before, but I said that it was not important for me what had been written long ago and that now there is nothing written. And even if it had been, he should be kind to any guests. When you enter the hotel you see a long counter in front of you and without doubting everybody goes direct there. The only sign there is "check-out". I think guests are better welcomed even in 2 star hotels. Anyhow we were shocked beeing treated like dogs. The man called Marc stood there pridely like beeing a king. When we wanted to turn on TV, we couldn't do it. Finally we discovered there were no batteries in the remote controller. I called the front desk to bring batteries but since after waiting for an hour in vain nobody brought them I went downstairs. The lady at the front desk said she just came and didn't know anything about the batteries. When I wanted to talk with the general manager, I had to wait there long time again. I had enough and returned into our room. Soon the man who even didn't introduce himself nor gave me his name card, came, apologized and asked what we wanted. I was really angry and said we want Marc come to apologize and nothing more. It seems they didn't like that. I insisted. Later another man came with a wagon full of sweets, wine and who knows what kind of staff saying the deputy manager sent us that but we refused telling him we didn't claim with a purpose to get anything. We paid for a 5 star hotel only wanted to be treated as the guests are in 5 star hotels. We are not beggers and we are not looking for mistakes! We came to enjoy here but we lost one important day and we have only two left here in Brussels. What is also very important is that we got very bad impression not only of Royal Windsor hotel but of the whole city. We will never come to Brussels again! We will never forget this day. Well, if you are ready to be treated like this you can come to stay here, but if you have the same opinion like me, it's better to choose the hotel where you will be treated like an important guest and not like a dog.

Room Tip: To choose a good room means "please choose another hotel".
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I travel to Brussels frequently and recently stayed at the Royal Windsor for the first time. First, the location: It's great - two minutes from Brussels Central Station, three minutes from Grand Place, but still fairly quiet - at least on the nights I was there, despite the Scots contingent in Brussels for a match. First impressions are also pretty good. The lobby is elegant, staff are professional and pleasant. But although I had asked for a room away from the elevators, I was put right beside them - didn't complain because I was checking in late and wanted to go straight to bed, but the lack of attention to an advance request was a little irritating. The room was just a little tired. The TV remote rattled, the wardrobe doors needed to be closed carefully to ensure the internal light went off, the wood-floored corridor area coming into the room was badly pitted by stiletto heels, and the lighting was just a little low for anyone wanting to read, for work or leisure. One of the sockets didn't work. There were no tea or coffee making facilities. But the bed was comfortable and the bedclothes immaculate.

The bathroom, on the other hand, was pretty shabby - fairly clean but surfaces (including of sealed tiles) were worn, grouting was age-stained, and fittings, including taps and the over-bath shower head, are very old fashioned. Not in a good way. The shower has a small fixed head, and is a little tricky to set to the right temperature. Set the temperature *before* stepping into the bathtub!

The single worst aspect was the bathroom fan. It ran continuously and quite loudly.With a gap of about 2 cm under the bathroom door, this was clearly audible in the room, to the point of making sleep more difficult.

To me, this wasn't a 4 to 5 star hotel, but a decent enough 3 star in a really great location. I didn't take breakfast at €29, so can't comment. At the right price, this hotel can be a very good option - but don't pay four to five star prices for something which is definitely not at that level.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear dreamerb,

Thank you for sharing with the Tripadvisor travellers your personal appreciation about our property whilst staying in Brussels.

We have taken good note of your overall appreciation of the room, and it is with regret that we could not assign you one of the redecorated rooms during your last stay.

As a practical detail should you wish to enjoy complimentary breakfast, tea and coffee making facilities in the room and a free viewing of the in-house movie, please take the advantages of booking our Business Premiere package, which will offer you to stay in our business premiere room with the additional advantage of much more comfortable atmosphere in bedding (high quality feature duvet, large pillow, etc.)

Looking forward to welcome you again.

General Area Manager
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I actually really liked this hotel, it was very clean and the room was an appropriate size for a solo traveler. The lobby looks like a 5 star hotel however I think the room looks more like a 4 star. The internet was not free if you didn't bring your laptop, therefore they charge 0.35/per minute to use the high speed internet in the business center. The service at the front desk was excellent and I loved the location, right behind la Grand Place. The bathroom was wonderful and I liked the shampoo and conditioner they offered. I did not take the breakfast because I thought it was too expensive (30 euros/per morning).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Daniele B,

We thank you for your comments and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the quality of the hospitality and your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at the Royal Windsor Grand Place for your next stay in Brussels.

Kind regards,

Regional General Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night while in brussels for the football! The hotel is nice and central. When we checked in we got upgraded to a business room. Room was lovely.
Didnt have breakfast here. Staff were nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012
Louis V, Directeur général at Royal Windsor Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Steph0611,

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay at Royal Windsor Grand’Place, its central location and the friendliness of our staff.

Your post is very motivating for them and we will be pleased to welcome you again in our hotel.

Sincerely Yours,

Regional General Manager Brussels

Been to Royal Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!