“Nice music and atmosphere - but not fit for New Year's Eve” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Morris Plains, New Jersey
“Nice music and atmosphere - but not fit for New Year's Eve”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We've had our eyes set on this place or a while and never found a good excuse to go. They had a special dinner evening for New year's Eve and we decided to book a table for two (my husband and I). Live jazz music and some good food was a great combo.
Menu was set (champagne to start, cold lobster, foie gras, pasta with truffles, cheese and ice dessert) for 95 euro per pers. I have to say food quality was very good, up to the pasta. We never saw the cheese and dessert, so I cannot comment on these, because we left the restaurant to go out and see the fireworks around the Royal Library area in Brussels and it was almost impossible to walk back to the restaurant to finish our meal due to the huge crowd afterwards. I have to say, however, that the service that evening was very disappointing. It was extremely slow. For the second starter course we got forgotten by the waitress (and so was a couple sitting next to us) and we had to call them to remind them they had forgotten to serve our course. The service was so slow that having started serving courses at 9.15 pm, we had just been served our pasta dishes at 11.25 pm. In most events I have been to for New Year's Eve, usually you are at dessert around midnight and have a champagne toast at that moment with your dessert (before or after). Here we can't say since we left but probably there was for another 90 minutes of service as we left the restaurant to go out at 11.50 pm and they had not even started taking back the plates of the main dishes from the tables.
Positive note was the good live music (not too loud) spread over 3 sets in the whole evening. Again, I think it may be a very nice place for a drink and listening to an intimate concert in normal times but they probably took too many bookings and couldn't handle service for a niht like Dec 31st very well.
Because of the poor service, I have a mixed review and only rated the place average.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rabat, Morocco
“Great vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

A cute jazz bar with live music in the Grand Palace. A great jazz band played. I did not eat the food but it seemed to be priced reasonably. Great location. There were jam and cheese for appetizer amongst ther things. The main menu seemed to be Italian. I was there just to hear the music.

• Visited December 2012
London
“So pleased i stumbled across this little gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

There i was thinking all Brussels had to offer me was a Croydon-style office district and dodgy seafood restaruants with PR guys outside when low and behold i stumble across this little gem. So pleased i found it. A really great venue for some live music and a buzzing atmosphere. The quality of the musicans was excellent and the drinks were of a decent value. There is a small entry fee to pay on arrival but don't let this put you off because its worth every penny. I highly recommend to anyone in Brussels for the evening.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brussels, Belgium
“great atmosphere and wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Spent a very relaxing and enjoyable evening at Music Village. The thing that amazed me most was the effecient, friendly and attentive service which is really hard to come by in Brussles. Will go there again.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great for live jazz music and beers, should improve on wine and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

This is my favorite jazz place in Brussels, or anywhere for that matter. It is consistently good it is program and choice of artists. I recommend it highly especially now that it has become smoke-free.

Food however leaves a lot to be desired... tha pasta is waaaaay overcooked. Salads are OK, it's the only thing I would recommend from the menu. Wines are passable at most, really guys, you can EASILY do better than that. But we are in Belgium and therefore you can forget about wines and go for beers, Belgian beers are among the best in the world and you get a reasonable selection here.

• Visited October 2011