“Back to the "fifties"” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Back to the "fifties"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a very cute cross between an American style diner and a European cafe in a trendy part of Brussels. As an American now living happily in Brussels, I do have a goal of finding the perfect cheeseburger when I feel deprived of my cultural heritage, ( I also have successfully searched for the perfect bagel in Brussels but that information will be in yet another TA review!) Le Balmoral sits on a corner in the neighborhood in which the Edith Cavell hospital is located. The color scheme is in pink and turquoise with lots of 50's memorabilia. The menu is typical "diner type" food - salads, burgers, ice cream, milk shakes with a good selection of all items. The service was good in terms of a pleasant and very friendly staff but the service was a bit slow. We went on a warm evening
( they are only open late on Friday evenings to 22:00) so we sat in a glass enclosed patio on the street. The cheeseburger was good for a diner but not quite the good taste of a grilled burger from a pub or a backyard barbecue. The burger came with tasty cheddar cheese, grilled onions, excellent steak fries and a salad. Not bad for 14 Euro! I do plan to return to try their milk shakes and cheesecake.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

48% Recommend
“Don't bother...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I have wanted to go there for a while and last Sunday was the occasion, and we will definitely not set a foot there again!..
The concept of the place is nice and rather original, but the interior is old and so dirty that we thought about leaving the place after a few minutes, but eventually decided to give it a go.
While the manager made several attempts at being nice to us, she was openly condescending and nasty to her staff, which made the atmosphere rather unpleasant. The hamburgers are dry and no better than the ones at Quick, but are way more expensive.
In short, unless you have no where else to go, don't bother wasting your money there. I am very surprised that in a city like Brussels with so many good eating places, this one is still around...

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
“Very dirty floors - ruined our meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I went on a Sunday afternoon with my very hungover boyfriend. He was in the mood 'for fried grease'. We were seated almost immediately and the service was prompt. However, the waitress seemed to mishear an order (she looked confused but didn't double check) and the food that arrived was not what we had wanted. The food was ok - the supreme nachos were standard but much too big and the whilst the BBQ burger itself was well-cooked the sauce was entirely overwhelming; good chocolate milkshake though. The drinks arrived after the food which is always quite annoying and the waitress seemed to have forgotten them altogether as we had to remind her. The decor was too much for me - all pastel pink and green and overpoweringly styled like a 'typical' American diner and the music was too loud. This could have just been a slightly sub-standard hangover meal but the real killer was the floor which was absolutely filthy despite the fact that it was a dry day. There is no way it could have been cleaned before Sunday's service and there seemed to be dirt collected around all the skirting boards and table legs. I think that it was the dirtiest European restaurant I've ever been in - so bad that when we noticed we both stopped eating immediately and asked for the bill. This is supposed to be a child-friendly restaurant and so there were quite a few children playing on the floor - if I was a parent I would not want my child anywhere near those floors!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Burgers in an American atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you're looking for a great place to try fantastic burgers, amazing milkshakes or old fashioned club sandwiches, then look no further! Balmoral has all of these things, wrapped up in a nice 'kitchy' atmosphere, complete with pink seats and boy/girl napkins. My boyfriend and I love to come here on a Sunday as it is the best hangover food. Do try the Nachos supreme as a shared appetizer!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Nice could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We went there tite have an American brunch as this restaurant appears in several places to brunch in Brussels.
First this only an "a la carte" menu except for a dished composed of a mix of eggs, sausage, bacon.
There is no brunch formula nor buffet.
The prices a pretty expensive: around 8 € for 3 pancake or "pain perdu" !
The pancakes were too dry, good club sandwich though.
However, the menu is large, a lot of choice for everyone.
There also a children corner for the parents who want to have a little break.
Design and music is nice, typical sixties.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere