“delicious, crowded, price on the high side” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maison Dandoy - Tea Room

Maison Dandoy - Tea Room
Rue Charles Buls 14, Brussels 1000, Belgium (Formerly Maison Dandoy Tea Room)
+32 (0)25126588
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 38 Coffee & Tea in Brussels
Cuisines: Creperie, Coffee Shop, Dessert, Bakeries
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Outdoor Seating
Description: Located in the heart of Brussels between the Grand-Place and the Bourse (Stock market), the family owned Dandoy Biscuits has perpetuated its unique craftsmanship of traditional Belgian and Brussels specialties since 1829. Based on original recipes, using the best natural ingredients, with no additives, preserving or colouringagents, Dandoy Biscuits are daily hand made in our factory. Hence the uniqueand incomparable flavour of our biscuits which is the foundation of our extended reputation locally and internationally. The Dandoy Tea Room was opened in 1984in the Rue Charles Buls by Jean Dandoy. The Tea Room enabled Dandoy to better respond to our customers’ ever increasing demand for innovation and high quality products. In this unique environment dedicated to Dandoy products consumers can not only savour our range of biscuits but also our unique traditional Brussels and Liège Waffles based on our family’s recipe. We complete our Tea Room offer witha wide range of home made ice creams and traditional Tea Room quality products (salted tarts, pancakes, fresh juices,...).
Brussels, Belgium
“delicious, crowded, price on the high side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

perfect spot for a short break while visiting the city centre. they have a large selection of biscuits, waffles and warm drinks. can be crowded but very nice

Visited November 2012
Maison D, Responsable relations publiques at Maison Dandoy - Tea Room, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hi Chasseur Détoiles,

I would like to thank you for your lovely review, this make us very happy!

Hope to meet you next time you, don't hesitate to ask for Alexandre ;-)

Best

Alexandre for Maison Dandoy

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
New York
“Bad Liege waffle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I really wanted to like my Liege waffle but this one was really disappointing. The caramel sugar flavor was amazing but the waffle itself was hard; it had the consistency of a frozen waffle after it's been in the microwave. To be fair, it may have been because I was the first customer of the day. They already had the waffles pre-made and just stuck them in the iron to heat up. It wasn't too bad though because the woman at the counter only charged me 2.05 euros even though it was supposed to be 2.70 euros (for takeaway) according to the menu—not sure why though. I recommend coming later in the day when it's busier so you get a fresh waffle which might've made all the difference. Also good to note, there's a location nearby on Rue au Beurre, but they don't make waffles there.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brussels
“Best Biscuits in Belgium”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just off teh Grand Place this small shop is packed out at xmas time as their scrumptious calorie-laden tis of biscuits are in high demand for xmas presents. A must visit store when visitind the grand place.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My sister and I popped into Dandoy to warm up for a bit on a February afternoon. Being in Belgium, of course we needed to try some Belgian waffles, which she had with chocolate, advocaat, and ice cream. I enjoyed a Liege waffle with chocolate and hazelnuts. Both were scrumptious. We also tried a quiche, which was tasty though I've had better. On the way out I bought some pate de fruit to bring home for my husband, who was very pleased with the quality (even after crossing the Atlantic). A delightful experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Norristown, Pennsylvania
“Put Dandoy's on your "Must List"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I originally left Dandoy’s off my “Must See/Eat/Drink List of Brussels” based on some negative reviews, especially the ones from tourists. Seems like every reviewer from outside Belgium had a bad experience with service or food quality.

But on Sunday morning, I made an adjustment to my agenda because my wife wanted to sit down and enjoy a waffle from a place that wasn’t a stand/van. Therefore, Dandoy’s came back into play. At first we visited the wrong location for waffles (there are a six Dandoy’s in Brussels) my navigational skills are not the best at times, especially when I’m hungry. We arrived at the correct location, right off the Grand Place down Rue Charles Buls around 11:30am. We went upstairs (take away or stand up service is available downstairs) and were greeted by a young waitress who showed us a table right away.

The overall service and dining experience was great. Our waitress (seemed like she was only the one working the entire upstairs) was pleasant and fast. But we were really there for the waffles, they did NOT disappoint. My wife had the Belgium Waffle with caramel sauce and fresh whipped cream (extra charge) and I tried the Liege Waffle with fruit sauce. Both were out of this world and worth the price tag. Our entire meal, two waffles and one large fresh lemon-orange juice (@ €5) came to €17.35 Upon our exit, the line for a table upstairs had stretched all the way down the spiral staircase.

So my tips, if you go, go early and if you want to save a few cents, eat at downstairs; if you want to sit and splurge go up. I’m glad I put Dandoy back on my “Must See/Eat/Drink List.” It was worth it.

• Visited February 2013