“Disappointed.” 2 of 5 stars

Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Tease your sweet tooth with a sample of gourmet chocolate at Pierre Marcolini, or any number of Belgian chocolate and cookie shops throughout Brussels.
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were really excited to visit this place because of all of the wonderful reviews that we read on TripAdvisor. Once we got there, we were a little disappointed. When we walked in, the entire staff was busy getting a shipment and they had a bunch of boxes lined up against the wall so that we couldn't even walk into the front part of the store. Then, one of the employees looked at my friend (who was standing there & looking at chocolate in the case) and rolled her eyes because I guess she was mad that my friend was "in the way." It was a little uncomfortable and we felt like the employees just wanted us to get out of the store. We went upstairs to get away from the chaos happening downstairs and we felt a little better because of the friendly employees upstairs. The girl that helped us with our assorted chocolates was one of the most pleasant people that we encountered on our entire 3 week Europe trip. She is the only reason that I gave this place 2 stars instead of 1. Anyway, overall we found it to be unpleasant because of the rude staff downstairs and the decision on their part to unload a shipment during the busiest part of the day.

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, Michigan
7 attraction reviews
“Edible Gold!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I've sampled many chocolates all over the world but clearly Pierre Marcolini is in a league of his own. We visited the main Pierre Marcolini shop located in Place du Grand Sablon. The chocolatier produces what can simply be described as edible gold. Give your taste buds a treat and try some of Marcolini's creations. My favorites were Praline Citron, Fleur D'Oranger and Torsade.

Rome, Italy
“Great chocolate and best macarons ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Marcolini's chocolate is very well know, not much to say about it. Just great quality, under every point of view. I also lo ed cakes and snacks you can have for a tea. But what I really really lo ed are the macarons! Much better than the one from Paul' ( famous baker). Just try them, soft, mela ing. In your mouth and so tasty! My favourite, ti' hard to say but I would dare speculoos.

Visited September 2012
London/Worcs
71 attraction reviews
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The main Pierre Marcolini shop is located over two floors (very steep staircase up to first floor) in corner premises in Place du Grand Sablon. The chocolates, the choices, the black packaging and the display are sensational and in a definite league of their own. To decide upon a favourite chocolate is nigh on impossible and chocolate lovers will not be disappointed as these chocolates are simply the best.

A second shop - more of a patisserie - is located in the centre of the Place. The macarrons deserve a particular mention. A further shop is situated in the Eurostar terminal.

Adelaide, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Distinctive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in Brussels for three weeks and made a point of sampling a wide range of chocolatiers (truly, it makes me a little ill to think back on it!), both big name and smaller artisans, and Pierre Marcolini stood out as the most innovative and interesting. On my odyssey of chocolate, the more I tried, the more I tired of the intensely sweet, sickly smooth creations of many of the chocolatiers (despite all being of very high quality). What I liked about Marcolini was the contrast in texture between the crack of the fine chocolate outer and the creamy centre, and the flavours which popped and surprised with each mouthful. My taste prefers dark, semi-bitter chocolate and I love fruit and floral flavourings. Here, the coeur framboise and the rose and violet chocolates were my favourites, though I should warn you that the florals are quite intensely floral- something that won't suit all palettes. Sure, things here are expensive, but by way of partial compensation, each chocolate is smaller than average, so you can sample a wider variety for your money. I should also add that the Pierre Marcolini patisserie up the street is also delicious.