“a reservation should be a reservation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of New Hotel Charlemagne

You added New Hotel Charlemagne to your Saves list
New Hotel Charlemagne
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25-27 Boulevard Charlemagne | Brussels, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #110 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“a reservation should be a reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

For the second time, this hotel has claimed to 'make a mistake' with my reservation. As I generally arrive late at night, and ensure an early reservation for a good price, and it is unlikely to be a coincidence - furthermore because the people checking in before me were given a room with a number that I noticed behind my name on the reservation sheet - I have no doubt that this is not a mistake, but a policy to get a better return on the room rate. As I do not much like to be sent to a different hotel not of my own choice, let alone late at night as a woman travelling alone, I will not frequent this hotel again, despite the general quality of the hotel and situation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hans_Rientjes, Director at New Hotel Charlemagne, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this comment regarding your recent stay with us. For the inconvenience you mentioned, we are deeply sorry that this occured and are looking into how we can prevent this from ever occuring again. It is obviously a lack of professionnalism from us. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. If we could contact me personnally, please reach out to me directly managerbrussels@new-hotel.be so I can assure myself that this cannot happened again!

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sherbroke, Québec, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

First I have to say that I booked and PREPAY for my room, upon my arrival I was charge an allege City TAX of 7.50 Euros, which was a first in any hotel booked in Brussels, and I did manage to visit 5 different hotel in Brussels since January 2014.

I asked for a wakeup call at 6AM, I was called at 5:30AM, this is completely unacceptable. I tried to go outside to smoke a cigarette at 11PM and at 6AM, both time the front door was locked and NOBODY was at the reception desk, I finally was able to find the front desk operator who was doing some cleaning far from the front desk.

The walls of the rooms were so thin that I was able to hear everything happening in my neighbour room. It was also impossible to leave the window open to sleep because the room was on the back of the hotel and there were 2 bars just behind the hotel, it was so noisy that I had to sleep in a hot room as there was no Air Conditionning.

If I have a recommandation to make... DO NOT GO to this hotel under any circumstances.unless you are sado-masochist and want to visit the worst brothel of Brussels because the way I felt is the same as if I would have been staying in a brothel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel unless you want to ruin your stay in Brussels
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Yves,
Thanks very much for taking the time to write these comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is of course never nice to learn that we failed to provide a flawless experience to you. Naturally, your review caused me to investigate the occured in full.

We acknowledge that the night auditor made a mistake by waking you up half an hour earlier. Please accept our sincere apologies for this human error.

We do however choose to disagree with you for the city tax. In all 4 star hotels in Brussels, there is a city tax that every tourist should pay and this information is indicated on all the confirmation forms. Regarding the physically non presence at the Front Desk at 11 PM and 06 AM, please note that this can happen due to the multi task function of the Night-Auditor. We regret that he wasn't there when you applied for him. Please also note that the doors were locked for a security reasons. We regret strongly that you did not appreciate the provided services. We try to make our guests having a comfortable stay.

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hotel was very well priced although the breakfast was extra and this soon brought the price up. The rooms were clean and pleasant. The area is quiet and about a half hour walk from the city centre (although there was a metro stop close by). There were several small restaurants nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,
We want to thank you so much for writing a nice review on the Newhotel Charlemagne Brussels. We are proud that you enjoyed your experience so much. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards from Brussels.
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

If you're on a budget and just want a clean place to sleep, this hotel is fine.

If you want more, I wouldn't recommend it: my room didn't have a kettle, an iron, air conditioning, or for that matter a chain attached to the bath plug!

If I wanted the room to cool down, I had to open my window, which looked out over somewhat noisy street. I was woken at 5.45 by the rubbish collectors one morning, and the room was still too hot despite having the window slightly open. Meanwhile, to drain the bath I had to use a knitting needle to extract the plug!

The bathroom had some other minor issues. The shower curtain, when pulled across to shield the sink area from water, obscured the controls for the shower. The bath drained very slowly -- even after a very quick shower, I found myself standing in cool water that had not yet drained.

The wifi was generally ok but a bit dodgy -- it would shut off mid-way through skype calls, which wasn't terribly helpful.

All of the above said, the staff were friendly and breakfast was basic but fine. Like I say -- if you're on a budget and value the location, go for it. If you want a bit of a higher standard, go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,
We are very sad that you did not appreciate our property. Our property counts 68 rooms and 38 of them have air condition. You can find this information in the features of the room. Please allow me to apologize for the fact that you deal with a few technical issues in the room you've stayed in - we take this very seriously and due to your comment we have been organising a training for the room maids! Meanwhile, thank you very much for your feedback and we really hope to welcome you again soon.

Sincerely
Cologne, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a night, and out of the five places we stayed during our trip, this hotel was definitely the best.

The room was clean, staff was friendly, and the quality of room was the best we stayed.

For the price, I don't think many could complain and from the other reviews I've seen, it may be that the personal standards set are higher than others. To each their own.

No complaints, other than the shower didn't work.

Room Tip: Don't buy the breakfast. There are tons of brunch places around the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,
We want to thank you so much for writing a nice review on the Newhotel Charlemagne Brussels.We are proud that you enjoyed your experience so much. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the shower and we will take care of it. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards from Brussels.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

One of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at, the beds were so uncomfortable I did not get a good nights sleep during my stay, the safe in the room was broken and it took 3 complaints to get someone to look at it and then when they could not fix it there was no suggestion of getting it fixed. The wifi was close to useless would disconnect you ever few minutes and you would have to log on again and to take a show was a case of the temperature would change ever few seconds from cold to hot. I would not stay there again if you paid me.

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hans_Rientjes, Director at New Hotel Charlemagne, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear guest,
We appreciate you take time to write us your comments regarding your stay at the Newhotel Charlemagne. Indeed, during that period we've been through a breakdown of the water supply and the Internet connection was disturbed. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. In the meantime, everything is repaired. We are really sorry that you did not appreciate the comfort of our beds. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest, should your travel plans bring you to Brussels.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Nice bathroom, double bed and fairly new furniture. Could have done with new wallpaper though. Wifi worked fine for me. Amazing location right behind the Berlaymont, very convenient if you are in Brussels on EU-related business.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon for another stay.

Best regards

Been to New Hotel Charlemagne? Share your experiences!