“Wow! Outstanding food and outstanding service!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
“Wow! Outstanding food and outstanding service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I went to this restaurant because it looked nice and I was looking for a 1 star Michelin restaurant and I had seen some bad or regular reviews of La Paix and so I thought I would try its other, more informal restaurant first.
I arrived completely exhausted to the restaurant and wasn't even sure I wanted to have dinner.
I had the nicest meal that felt home-cooked, but if your mother was Julia Child or Ferran Adría or in this case, David Martin. Healthy, organic ingredients, but so well prepared and matched. The waiting staff was friendly, youthful and handsome. Super happy and I wished I could go there again for dinner tomorrow, but they're closed on Sundays.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

brussels, belgium
“excellent food prior to a concert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

One can have several experiences for dinner in Bozar...
Go early on days there are concerts, and you will find yourself in a very busy environment with people anxious to eat something prior to attending the performance.
If you are looking to enjoy a quiet meal, you are to arrive on days of concerts in Bozar not earlier than 8pm.
After the performance, as from 10pm, there is again another public that wants to grab something and continue to enjoy the evening.
We had a lovely meal of of nicely presented beef and seabrass , with an excellend house wine. Service was fast and friendly. I highly recommend it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“Great place poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is one of those typical places that sort of show you -- almost empirically -- why Belgian cuisine (and in particular Belgian bistronomie) is so far ahead of the competition;

First of all the food is great and of a level that could rival many 1-starred Michelin restaurant (in the interim that it isn't one itself yet ;)). But given that it is a brasserie living up to the bistromomie standard, the prices are much lower than in Michelin-starred restaurants. Lunch is 33 EURO (that is, amuse + starter + main course + half liter of water). You may disagree but I find that reasonable for an upscale place. I'd recommend it for Lunch rather than Dinner just because the atmosphere is more of a posh lunchroom... but that's just me.

The food is great in an other way too... the cuisine centers around this idea that we should go back to what our grandparents used to eat and to the pure wholesome produce they used back in the day. That for me is a huge food-magnet I say. They succeed at bringing back to life those "olde dishes" and throw them at you in a most contemporary way. That's a nice feat. It also allows for the food to be explosive in tastes while not overly complex at the same time. Let me put that last point differently: I think that it's luxurious if you can have lunch at a very high level (including some oooh's and aaaah's) while at the same time being able to read the paper or talk to your friends. Your mind is not overly tested but your heart is soothed.

But there is a - rather forgivable - downside too. While service is pleasant and friendly it is at the same time slow (very slow if you're in business lunch mode) and amateur-esque. Don't ask me why but they seem to blow it all into oblivion because of a lack of capacity or professionalism among staff both in the Kitchen and in the dining room. However this does not do away with the taste of the food and that's why I go to a restaurant in the first place.

In all, this is a place worth your visit!

Greetings

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Waw effect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was looking for a nice place to offer my family a nice evening...end this was the case!

There was a lot of people in the restaurant (good sign for me), and we were very well welcomed (despite we had more than half an hour delay). The staff looked to our needs perfectly, the meals and it's flavours were perfect.

The coordination with the kitchen was perfect too, not too much time to get our plates and especially not too quick (as it happens more and more often, what a pitty)
We get our Waw effect as we expected it, so...don't hesitate if you want to spend a nice time!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
UK
“Dreadfully overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Almost 50 euros for 1 small plate of rubbery squid, an espresso & a glass of Chardonnay. I asked for a side salad & got 1 cup of leaves. Charge euros6!
I've worked in Brussels for 6 years & eaten out almost every week at some great places. This is probably the 2nd meal I haven't enjoyed & was way too expensive.

• Visited June 2013