“Make sure to avoid this place !” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Make sure to avoid this place !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The service was terrible and the food even worse. The oysters were served on salad leaves that were more brown then green and looked as if taken from the compost heap. The taste of the oysters was very strong and they did not taste fresh. The mussels were tasteless and half of the shells were empty ! The garlic bread served with the fish soup was covered with something that looked like and tasted like plastic. A closer exam showed that it was actually cheese and garlic ! Our daughter felt sick shortly after having lunch and had to vomit. It would be a good idea to have this restaurant and it's kitchen inspected by the public health departement !

• Visited June 2013

Brussels, Belgium
“Please avoid - we were conned!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

On the outside Les Memoires de Gretry looks very similar to everywhere else… a board out front with the special deals available, a small outdoor seating area – under a canopy and then tables and chairs inside. We were given menus, but we both already knew what we wanted from the board €13 Moules Frites for me and €16 Paella for hubby (both came with beers).

After around 20 minutes our food arrived, my moules were average as was the paella. Hubby says there was a decent amount of seafood in it, but ultimately it was like a watery risotto with mussels.

The bill should have been €29 - but it was actually €68. Turns out the Paella was €38 and we were charged extra for the beer. Apparently they only cook it for two people, although we weren’t told that when we ordered and the waiter admitted that we had been served a single portion.

We didn’t really know what to do, my French isn't good enough to say “you cheeky git, we’re not paying that” so we begrudgingly paid it and went on our way.

There are so many lovely restaurants around the Grand Place that offer good food at a decent price, it is a shame that there are places like this as well.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Overpriced wine!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I wish we had read the previous reviews before we happened upon this place. It looked pleasant enough, the staff were welcoming and the pizzas were lovely and fairly priced. However we were ripped off big time with the wine. We asked for house/table wine. My friend had 500ml white, I had 500ml of red and both tasted like vinegar but we thought 'oh well, it's cheap and we have it now so we'll put up with it' When we got the bill we had been charged 30 euros for the wine (about £24). I commented on the poor quality of the wine for the price and the waiter gave a look of feigned surprise and said it was Beaujolais . I don't think so!!!! Also, half way through the pizza and wine we asked for a glass of tap water and were told we couldn't have it but we could buy some bottled water. Talk about adding insult to injury!!
Two days later we went to another pizzeria a few doors down. They actually gave us a wine menu which the other place hadn't. We enjoyed a reasonable house wine for a very fair price and the pizza was lovely. Unfortunately we don't recall the name of that one but it used very bright orange table napkins which you will spot on the tables outside!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“Avoid!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This could be the worst food/service on the planet! We ordered a Pizza and Cannelloni. The pizza didn't taste good and didn't have all the toppings I ordered. The cannelloni came with an extra topping of plastic! When we pointed this out to the staff they brought out a "replacement", the same dish with more sauce on it! Terrible!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cadiz, Spain
“A place to avoid!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I went to Brussels with my boyfriend and friends and chose this place after our visit to the Grand Place. At first, we walked through the street having a look at the bars, the waiter of this bar asked us to enter but we continued in order to see all the options. Finally, we went back to this one and saw some pictures of their food outside.

They had milanese with fries and drink for 10€, it looked very good so decided to came in and order that for my boyfriend and me. The bar was empty. When the waiter brought our dish, that was not what we ordered. It was a simple small steak with some parsley on the top. I told the waiter that there should have been a confusion, but he said that it was the milanese. I repeated several times that this was not what I ordered (it was clearly different from the picture and half the size) but he insisted. I came out to double check and verified that the dish in the picture was a different thing. After this, the waiter told me very unrespectfully that he prepared that because they ran out of milanese and they were making us a favour (a favour??). I was starting to get angry and told him that I was not going to pay for something I did not order, so he put a bad face and removed the dish from the table.

My boyfriend and I waited inside until our friends finished their food and waited for the bill. It was not even a proper bill, it was handwritten in a piece of paper. Also he made us pay for every drink (even the one that was included with the "milanese"), 3€ for every bottle of water, 0.5L.

Overall, the service was really bad, the waiter unrespectful and when we left the place he asked us: - Where are you from? - Spain - Oh, now I understand. I felt a completely lack of respect there, he ruined our night with his incompetence. I don't think a person like this should be facing the customers.

So if you take my recommendation, avoid this place, I wish we never entered there.

• Visited January 2013