“appetizers and desserts more interesting and tasty than entrees” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brussels, Belgium
“appetizers and desserts more interesting and tasty than entrees”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

You absolutely need a reservation. There are only 6-7 tables, all were reserved when we came in (on a Saturday night). There is only one seating per table per night.
The appetizers were wonderful - my husband had the smoked scallops and I had the haddock seviche with crab. It was delicious, though a bit too much oil for my taste. (The bread basket had a good selection of Scandinavian soft and crispy breads and came with a nice container of yoghurt with herbs.) The entrees were just average. We both had the halibut roll (with spinach inside I think) - the fish was a bit overcooked and bland tasting. It came on a bed of carrots and onions and was accompanied by two scoops of mashed potato and lingonberry-mustard sauce.
We did not have room for dessert, but several people around us ordered a variety and all looked amazing and beautifully presented.
Service was friendly but very, very, very slow.
I would get an appetizer for my main course instead of an entree - more flavor/more interesting selection.
Very close to the Grand Place - convenient/central.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
“Woaw”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Every time i am in brussels, I will go to Up North, to enjoy the delights of Northern European cuisine, and every time I am surprised and amazed about the quality of the food and the service... it is absolutely delightful.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Hurrah for the Scandanavians”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Around the Grand'Place there are many places to eat that offer traditional Belgian food, kebabs and American food with the recent opening of the Hard Rock Cafe. Up North looked to offer something different and as I have travelled to the Nordic countries and enjoyed the food there I was hoping that my good experience with Nordic food would continue.

It did. There were four of us for dinner and were well looked after by the waiter. We asked for recommendations and were steered towards the seasonal choices. Although I did go for the herring which is not quite so seasonal. All the dishes were well-balanced and delicious. The food was lighter than normal Belgian cuisine which was a welcome change. Prices were also very reasonable particularly in light of the location of the restaurant just off the Grand'Place.

We'll go back. I have given 4/5 not 5/5 as we arrived at the restaurant as the waiter was taking the order at another table and we figured out which was our table ourselves. That's the only thing I could criticise.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brussels, Belgium
“Good food with an original proposal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

For starters, this is the only Scandinavian spot I've seen in Brussels, so that makes it original.
The food is very good, and the place is small enough so that thay can take care of you.
Enjoyed the mix of flavors! I will definitely return.

• Visited February 2013
Belgium
“Delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very nice food from the Nordic countries. Restaurant nice and cosy. Great - and friendly - service. Generous portions. Indeed everything was perfect.

• Visited January 2013