“A disappointment, sadly” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Le Wine Bar du Sablon des Marolles

Le Wine Bar du Sablon des Marolles
Rue Haute 198, Brussels 1000, Belgium (Formerly Le Wine Bar du Sablon)
+32 (0)496 82 01 05
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Le Wine Bar du Sablon des Marolles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2,506 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: French, Bistro
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Brussels, Belgium
“A disappointment, sadly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

What a difference a year makes. I had previously dined at this restaurant and was very excited about it. Well, last night´s experience was nowhere close to the first one. To start with my dining partner and I were seated on a table normally reserved for six people even though a week before I had personally been in the restaurant and pointed to the table I would have liked to have (and was assured to have it). Upon enquiring about the fact that the table was given to another couple, the waiter initially tried to suggest that we were late - which we were not - and when I pointed out that we were actually right on time, he simply said dismissively, "oh well". Not a simple apology. Nothing. I thought the night didn´t start very well but I was hoping that the service and the quality of the food would compensate. It was not meant to be. After about 20 minutes of waiting for someone to come take an order, I literally had to call one of the waiters to get her attention. Now we are talking about a Monday evening, past 9pm, when the restaurant was not overcrowded and most of the guests had already finished, or were close to finishing, their dinner. I did point out that we were not very satisfied with the service and was told to be patient. At least this one smiled. And so we ordered two glasses of champagne as an aperitif. They arrived ... in red wine glasses. The food also arrived a little later. My starter - noix de saint jacques - sealed the night as one definitely below par. Three measly, overgreasy pieces (for 16 euros) which did nothing to change the impression thus far. My main - fish - was better, but my partner´s (duck) was rather hard and "rubbery". At least the wine was decent. Final bill: 161 euros for a disappointing service and quality of food, without dessert or coffee (though to be fair, a part of it pertained to the wine). Not likely to be going there again in a hurry.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Wonderful evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had one night in Brussels and choose to reserve from the UK, all managed via email easily. Fantastic place off the beaten track. Greeted by handshakes from the staff, set in a lovely cosy atmospheric wine cellar with arched brick roof. Food excellent, extensive wine lists and fabulous service. Complimentary dessert wines. Couldn't have asked for a better place. If you are in Brussels, try this place!

London
“Great food and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A friend and I had dinner at this lovely wine bar on Saturday night. The food was delicious and the staff were very knowledgeable about both the food and the wine. In fact, we didn't actually get to pick any particular wine - the owner said that he would choose the wine for us (by the glass), according to the food that we picked. I had scallops with a leek and cream sauce for my starter, followed by duck with dauphinoise potatoes; a delicious glass of grenache appeared with the duck. My friend (suffering from the effects of a slight excess of Belgian beer the night before) didn't manage to eat all of her slow cooked beef cheeks, but said that the dish was very tasty. Home-made salted caramel ice-cream was smooth and sweet without being cloying.

Lots of atmosphere, pretty much all the tables were full so would recommend booking in advance. We would definitely go back.

“Cosy wine bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is underground and feels like a wine cellar. Excellent and friendly service. Great atmosphere, good food and great wine list.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“#winelover approved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Perfect ending for a #winelover trip in Brussels.
After spending some days in the city, dining and drinking awesome wines, Le Wine Bar du Sablon didn't disappoint.
Good (mostly french) wine list and delicious food to pair.
The waiters were super-friendly and professional.
We brought a box of chocolate truffles from a nearby store and paired it with a delicious Port Wine. Staff were ok with that (it probably helped that we almost forced them to taste the combination - which they loved!)

• Visited January 2013