“Value Price in Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

The Residence Les Ecrins
Rue du Rouleau 15 | Brussels, Brussels 1000, Belgium   |
Ranked #25 of 195 Hotels in Brussels
Hurst, Texas
“Value Price in Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed at Les Ecrins on two different (not consecutive) nights in August 2012. The first night I was in town with friends to see the Flower Carpet. My husband and I had room 123, which included a little sitting area. Our friends were a flight up in 125 and a room on the front. These rooms were smaller than 123, but the same price. On our return trip, we were put in room 125.

The positives: It was a nice walk from the hotel to the Palais Royal. We passed many restaurants, and ended up eating at one recommended by the owner on the first night. The Saint Catherine metro station is only about a half of block away. The breakfast was very nice, and the owner was easy to deal with. The hotel also accepted credit cards, which many other B&B's do not. The rooms were clean, and the bedding comfortable. The hotel was a great value at 90 Euro per night.

The negatives: We were there in August, when it can get very warm. I knew the hotel was not air conditioned, but I was very surprised the rooms did not have portable fans. It got so hot, we were forced to leave the windows opened all night. This meant having to listen to a neighbor's party until after mid-night. (Thank goodness another neighbor finally yelled at the party and got them to be quiet). Our friends in the room on the front were especially uncomfortable. With the windows opened, the street lights sign shone into their room. The noise from passing cars and then from a street sweeper kept them awake many hours. The wife said she only got about 3 hours of sleep, even though she put in ear plugs and wore a sleep mask. All the other B&B's we stayed at during our 3 week trip to Europe had rotating, portable fans and we were able to be comfortable even in the warm weather. Other negatives: Room 123 only had a bath, no shower. Room 125 had a partial shower door, and it was hard to keep the water in while showering. Like most other B&B's, there is no lift, so be prepared to carry your luggage up several flights of stairs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Budapest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a small, no frills hotel in Brussels, but reasonably priced and its location is truly superb. The rooms are simple with modern, funky, functional furniture. Try their apartments (with no breakfast) - they are roomy, fully furnished, ideal for longer stays. The owner is very friendly, funny and helpful - makes your stay truly pleasurable.

Room Tip: Make sure you close doors - the staircase can be noisy. The street is very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We arrived very early because of our flight, but Eduard showed us to a room right away, even nicer than the one we had booked. He also gave us breakfast, which we were very grateful for and he was not obliged to do. The room (actually a "living" room with a fold-out sofa and a bedroom) was very comfortable, spacious and clean. The hotel is well located.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I paid 110 euros on August 7 for a triple room which looks nothing like what I saw on the webpage. I took photos for the falling ceiling, broken tiles,broken handle, broken flush, and tap . You will understand why we were locked in the bathroom and could not open the door. The only garbage bin was in the bathroom, and I used a plastic bag for waste in the bedroom. There were 2 glasses at the bathroom sink for our triple room, but not even another glass in the room. With a basic room like such, I would pay nothing more than 50 euros. Sainte-Katherine is an area super convenient but not as noisy as Grand Place. With so much I have paid this time, I can easily get another hotel in this area for my next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ecrins, Propriétaire at The Residence Les Ecrins, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
We are sorry for this incident. The room as already been fully renovated
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

There are a number of positive points about this hostel; the only negative point was that there was no lift (which didn't matter to my partner and I! Just as a warning)
However, I really do have nothing but positive things to say about this hostel.
1. It is brilliant value for money (we paid 30 EUR pp in July)
2. The location is top notch: just off Place St Catherine, so about 5 minutes from Grand Place and all the sights, plus you're round the corner from Place du Beguinage with a beautiful church. There are some really nice seafood restaurants at St Catherines as well, so you're spoilt for choice with food!
3. The rooms are very clean, and are cleaned regularly. We stayed in one of the simple rooms, so just had a bed, sink, television, and bin. There are plug sockets which you can use for adaptors if necessary. Although I agree with ksd8y that the rooms are a bit on the small side, it was not something which put my partner and I off our room.
4. The owners were really helpful, polite, and easy to talk to. I spoke French to the female owner, but the man spoke English to us (though I have a feeling he might speak Dutch from his accent....) But they were both really nice.

I heartily recommend staying at this hostel, and would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I discovered this hotel when trying to find a place priced below my government per diem. I have stayed here twice now and had a good experience both times. It is really a bargain for this location, with breakfast included too! The rooms are a bit on the small side, and some are laid out a bit strangely (for example, room door opening directly into the bathroom) but to me it wasn't a big deal. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet and clean, and there was a TV and hairdryer. The staff also provided me with an iron upon request, which can be a rarity in a European hotel! The location right near St. Catherine's (less than 5 minute walk to the metro stop, and about a 10 minute walk to the Grand Place) is great.

I found the staff to be very nice and helpful.

The breakfast was a standard continental fare - coffee or juice with a selection of breads and spreads, and some fruit available.

Overall a great place!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Two main advantages of this hotel - a great location and very friendly owner. That actually means you will see the whole city according to his recommendations even if you don't have a tour or a book guide. Beautiful surroundings, you feel like you live in the heart of Europe. The rooms are very clean. We lived in a basic room with bathroom, it is small but quite comfortable though the sink can cause some inconvenience due to its position. Breakfast is nice. Overall, it gives you the sence of your own - even if short-term - home in this beautiful city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Residence Les Ecrins? Share your experiences!