“Nice food, lovely staff” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
glasgow
“Nice food, lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were in Mechelen for 3 days and ended up eating here twice.

The food was lovely, and I enjoyed the bread rolls, olives and cheese they served while you were waiting for your meal.

We tried the steaks which were excellent quality and cooked just how we asked. We also had pasta, which was delicious.

As others have said, a number of the restaurants around the Grote markt are poor quality, this place stood out for us.

The staff were also very helpful and friendly which made dining here a very enjoyable experience,

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Keerbergen,Belgium
“My favorite Brasserie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Take our home in Keerbergen, draw a circle with a radius of about 20 km around it and there are not a lot of restaurants I would recommend. Den Beer in Mechelen though is one I would highly recommend as it is my favorite Brasserie in the area. We come here a couple of times a year and I continue to enjoy the place, the quality of the products coming into the kitchen and the sustainable quality of the dishes coming out of the kitchen. The menu contains a couple of classic brasserie preparations (the scampi salad coming either as a starter or as a main course is one of my favorites) as well as suggestions varying with the seasons. Yesterday we enjoyed some summer suggestions such as the melon and ham, the Vitello tonato, the sea brass...and the scallops meuniére in particular. This last preparation is characterized by a very original and marvelous equilibrium of salty and acidic tastes and keeps surprising me every time again and again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Israel and the US
“great meal for family of 5”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Wow, we all loved this restaurant, even though my kids are very hard to please. My son loved his pasta scampi, my youngest had a kids serving (big) of spaghetti Bolognese, I loved my Mussels and my wife enjoyed her Sea Bass with pasta and mashed potatoes. We loved the local beer (first time my wife enjoyed a beer). Price was reasonable too. Served us dinner at 10pm Saturday. The only really busy place in the city square, and for a good reason. Service was helpful and professional too - especially with understanding the menu with no English.

Visited August 2013
“Den Bierce exellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Really great service and asty steaks. Add here relaxing atmosphere and positive company. As result you'll find den Bierce-wonderful place to visit in Mechelen

Visited August 2013
Oslo, Norway
“Confident location short of attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Most restaurants surrounding the Groote Markt´s in Belgium are truly a tourist trap. For strange reasons having such a prime location seems to slow down attention on a lot of other important features of running a restaurant. Den Beer has an exciting menu, and have even a separate chapter on wild cod from the Baltic. The food is OK, but how long it took to get it! The same applied to everything else. Straighten up your act Den Beer! With more staff you will get hapier customers, and better score from me.

• Visited April 2013