“Unique hotel worth looking into!” 5 of 5 stars

Martin's Patershof
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Karmelietenstraat 4, Mechelen 2800, Belgium   |
Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Mechelen
Smithtown, New York
“Unique hotel worth looking into!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I had three business trips to Mechelen and stayed at the NH Mechelen first time but after a suggestion from the customer I tried to see if Martin's Patershof was available for my next business trip. After staying there I booked it for this business trip again and my experience with this hotel is that they are probably a notch above the rest of the nearby hotels. This historic building is an old church that they converted to a hotel. There are two primary "portions" of the hotel, the church side and the monastery side. From what I understand not all rooms have large windows, or any windows at all for that matter, however the klooster (monastery) rooms do have windows. The room decor is very nice although I would prefer to have a drawer for clothes I find sufficient space for my luggage.

In terms of amenities they do serve breakfast in the mornings but there is no on-site restaurant in the evening (Not a problem since the hotel is in the walking distance of Korenmarkt, GroteMarkt and Vismarkt for both drinking and eating establishments)
The hotel does offer an ironing board although there isn't one in your room they will gladly bring it up to your room. There's also a small mini-fridge which is stocked with various canned beverages & water. The fridge has sufficient space for drinks you purchase yourself. There's also a coffee maker in each room. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms have a full sized bathtub (compared to the US version that you can't really take a bath in)
The hotel offers a parking garage in the adjacent building for 20 Euro a night, bicycle parking is free you just need to ask for the gate code.

The hotel location is excellent as it's located within walking distance near the Vismarkt which has abundant nightlife and is a nice place to socialize. The hotel is also close to Match supermarket if you prefer to buy some snacks and water yourself for reasonable prices.

The front end staff is very friendly and will help you with restaurant suggestions and other questions you may have.

A few minor gripes I've experienced....

One of the rooms located in the Monastery is next to a stairway which is made out of hollow wood and at night it sounds as if someone is beating a drum next to your room.
My other gripe that housekeeping doesn't do the same thing every day. Sometimes they take the towels you plan to use again and they replace them, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they turn off the heater in the bathroom, sometimes they don't. I believe this really depends on the person cleaning your room.
The other one is less of a gripe but more of an observation is that their bar prices are very overpriced compared to everywhere else so I usually walk over to the Vismarkt to have a drink when I want.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We (my wife and I) stayed for a weekend in this hotel. However, we had a very dark room. Nice to sleep with the angels (see photo) but in the morning we like to see the sky (only a very small window 30 cm wide). Next morning we found out there were very dirty towels (folded) and at five in the afternoon the room wasn't even cleaned yet! So we had to ask for clean towels again. The light at the washbasin was defect. When we left the hotel we only got a "sorry" at the desk. WIfi? yes for 15 euro a day. I expect free wifi for a hotel like this, with these prices. Mechelen is a nice old town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and check your room before accepting!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Vejle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Generally a good experience. Smooth checkin, Well sized and unique room, with comfortable bed. Good breakfast menu - where you actually eat your breakfast in the old church room. Overall a good and recomendable business hotel centrally located in Mechelen.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Bishops Stortford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We only stayed for one night but I wish it had been longer. I've never been in a hotel that's located inside a convereted church before.

I was delighted to find that almost all the rooms are unique. They vary in size, shape and features according to where they sit in the original building. Some have stained glass windows.

The stabdard of facilities were axactly what you would expect in a high class business hotel but the staff were one star above that. All the staff we met were friendly and welcoming and they dealt with all our requests without a fuss, i would love to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
braine-l'alleud
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I booked for 3 nights thru booking.com, and was very impressed by the hotel. The problem was , the first day I took an afternoon rest, and as the weather was warm, I put the airco on, and closed the windows. I put the do not disturb sign. When I woke up the airco was switched of, and a window open. I thought, ok, may be I was confused, and did not put the airco, etc...The second day, I took again a rest, and put the airco, closed the window ..and guess what happened. Yes the airco was off, the window open, So I decided to leave the hotel ( Who would want somebody to come into your room when you are sleeping?) I decided not to stay for the third night and left immediately

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We went for a special wedding anniversary, fantastic room, the architecture and the stained glass window, made it for us ,the beds are as good as they say in the advertising, the breakfast excellent, just a fantastic weekend, mechelin is great place to visit. If there is one critisism,scrap the 3 euro coffee machine in the room and install a kettle only managed to get half a cup , and not very good at that, but everything else was superb.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stunning hotel- my husband and i stayed for a weekend break, we had a gorgeous room that had a four poster bed (modern style) with huge doors that opened out onto a little patio that overlooked the courtyard. The hotel dining room is just an amazing setting and the food was great. One morning there were no croissants left as we'd left breakfast until late and they made fresh ones for us despite there being lots of other things to choose from - really nice gesture which we appreciated the staff go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. we had a package with champagne in the room on arrival and everything was lovely. This hotel is a gem and we had a lovely stay and really enjoyed drinks by the canal bars. would definitely recommend this place, its great.

Room Tip: we loved the room with big doors onto the patio
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Martin's Patershof? Share your experiences!