“Wonderful hidden gem of a restaurant on one of the most beautiful squares of Antwerp” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 't Brantijzer

't Brantijzer
Hendrik Conscienceplein 7, Antwerp 2000, Belgium
03 2331833
Improve this listing
Reserve with
't Brantijzer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #411 of 985 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I have been to this restaurant about three times for dinner, so I feel qualified to comment. The atmosphere of the place is super, with tall ceilings, genuinely old world feel, and a pretty unique mezannine floor/balcony inside. There is also a second story floor where you can eat when there are a lot of people and that room has a great view of the Rubens church on the square. As to the food:
The menu is extensive with varied options. I especially have enjoyed the moules when in season. An excellent choice are the salads too...I had one with shrimp that was excellent in taste and very filling--which was surprising. The dish was made with fresh salad topped with medley of vegetables that were wok'ed. The shrimp/gambas were fresh as well. I suspect the cook is a real chef, but in typical european fashion is not featured the way is fashionable nowadays in the US.
I did read some of the previously made comments by other patrons. I would agree that in general, Belgian customer service is can be lukewarm. Doesn't bother me as long as it is professional and efficient, and it seems that this is what you get in pretty all places I went to in Belgium. Waitstaff is prompt and usually anticipates your needs. Just don't expect them to be your buddy. Since they are less dependent on tips than in the US, you won't get them to try and charm you to no end--which I actually prefer.
Summing it all up: I find this to be a pretty magical location with excellent food for reasonable money. BTW, it seemed to me that most other patrons were local Antwerpians, which underscores the value imho.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dusseldorf, Germany
“poor attitude - no customer skills”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Restaurant displays menus outside - for example lists of the moules dishes which sounded just perfect. Booked at lunchtime for evening dinner. Arrived for reservation, waiter took the order, then returned to tell us that moules were off the menu! (Why didn't he know?) While deciding what to have instead, we noticed that the people two tables away had been served the moules! When we queried this, we were asked if we had booked for moules when we made our reservation and why had we not seen the sign downstairs that said sold out? At no point did anyone say sorry for your disappointment. We were expected to see a sign in the dark - when the waiter himself did not know. Poor attitude making customers feel stupid, bad planning on the part of the restaurant and total lack of interest in serving and helping. Customers need to feel valued and treated even handedly.

Visited November 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Hidden gem on gorgeous square--magical evening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Okay, being an expat of Antwerp/belgium, I pride myself on knowing what is good in this great city and what is hype. Every I come home, I am taken by friends and family to the "trendy" places, the "in" places, to invariably find myself in an italian, thai, or theme restaurant. Refreshing therefore to find this restaurant that serves all the traditional fare, with a great setting--well, frankly, magical setting. The prices are modest , the service professional and effective. That this restaurant is in a 16th century house is a bonus!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Porto Alegre, Rs
“Very charming"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We wanted a nice place to go in our last night in Antwerp, and the guy at the reception of our hotel suggested this one, where (he said) not many tourists go. Its was a very cold night, and we felt really cozy. I imagine it must be also wonderful in Summer, when they put some tables outside. The food was very nice, at average price. Most of all, we were delighted by the general atmosphere of the place, which made that night unforgetable..

• Visited November 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A fun, tasty experience in a beautiful setting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

The staff were very friendly and fun, the menu was very diverse, and the atmosphere was terrific. If you get a chance, sit upstairs - a great view of the entire place. Hendrik Conscienceplein is a beautiful square, too. Definitely an undiscovered treasure.

Visited March 2011