“The worst hotel that you can ever imagine.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Eco Hotel Diamond Antwerp

Save Saved
You added Eco Hotel Diamond Antwerp to your Saves list
Eco Hotel Diamond Antwerp
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belgielei 36, Antwerp 2018, Belgium (Formerly Antwerp Diamond Hotel)   |
Ranked #51 of 77 hotels in Antwerp
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
“The worst hotel that you can ever imagine.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

The price you pay is even more expensive than a 4-star hotel. However, the service you get from this hotel is worse than a youth hostel. First of all, the hotel is nothing like shown in the pictures, the interior is old and dirty, the equipment is extremely simple. The blanket on the bed is broken and the pillow smells really strange. Secondly, the breakfast is just horrible. With no more than 5 different kind of food they dare to charge you for 11 Euros, the sanitory condition is really poor as well, bugs were found on the bread. Thirdly, the hotel takes every single opportunity to rip you off, I made 3 local phone calls for no more than 5 minutes, they have charged me 65 Euros. Last but not the least, they do not respect the customers at all, window/class cleaner just barged into the room without even knocking the door and reception sees it as normal situation.

So, if you happen to think it is a good hotel. Word of advice, it is not! If you happen to want to book this hotel, STOP IT! Otherwise you will be regret of it so much! And this hotel is a gurantee that you good mood in Antwerpen will be ruined and you beautiful trip plan will become the most terrioble travelling memory!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Cheap hotel for a not so cheap price. If you are there for business definitely do not choose the Diamond. The wireless was never usable (there one minute, out the next) and no matter how many calls I made to the reception they did not fix the issue.

The room is pretty dark and dated, the towels have seen better days. The tea area had only one tea bag, one sugar and so on. Once I actually consumed it it was replaced by ..... one tea bag :)

The area is not very good either, with no restaurants or places to eat nearby.

They actually had a paper on the table to say that they are not responsible for any thefts from the rooms. I find that quite discouraging, considering that the door was barely hanging on, and the lock was not very solid.

The first night the room was freezing, and there was no way to control the temperature. The second night they turned the heat on from the reception.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

GOOD: very friendly and welcoming staff, great price, good value for money, good location, good simple rooms
ONLY OK: small buffet breakfast with cereal, bread, meat, cheese, coffee/tea, milk, yoghurt and juice that tastes like water
POOR: no hair drier in room, WIFI connection in room is sporadic and weak

I enjoyed my stay here of several nights in September 2011. The hotel is simple with rooms on about 7 floors. It is a 12 min walk from Central Train Station and about 20 min to Historic Centre. It lies in the Jewish neighbourhood. The front desk staff on duty 24/7 are very helpful, welcoming and friendly. They can give you a map of Antwerp. The room was clean, very spacious and simple but with all facilities required. The bathroom was large with good pressure in shower/tub. There are sufficient number of electrical outlets and lights. The lobby is simple but modern and comfortable with a small bar. There is a parking lot in the back for your car if you drive here.

My major problem was WIFI in my room on the 5th floor. The connection was only good in the middle of the night. At other times it was too slow to connection and repeatedly I asked reception to restart the modem. I discovered in the lobby that the WIFI connection is perfect. So this means my room was too far. Maybe WIFI is better in lower floors - you may wish to request room there if you need to do WIFI in your room. I also missed having a hair drier in the room. Bring one with you if you need to dry your hair. The breakfast room is nice with windows overlooking the back of the hotel and parking lot. Breakfast from 730-10AM was simple and basic but the juice was like drinking dirty water - this needs improvement.

Conclusion - I definitely recommend this hotel for its low price but beware of the above shortcomings. I would stay here again but hopefully in a room with stronger WIFI.

Room Tip: take a room as close to reception as possible if you want a stronger WIFI signal
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Amsterdam, Nederland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Room + Breakfast buffet are in order.

People who work at the front office differ in quality.
When I presented my hotelvoucher a Dutch lady from Rotterdam asked me if I paid for the hotel.
It is known that the word 'hotel voucher' is a guarantee for payment. I had to explain about my credit card payment. She had to find out in her system and that took some time.
The same lady did not give me a wake up call next morning, although my name was on the list and my phone in the room worked.

When I asked another reception lady about a place nearby to drink a cup of coffee, she said there was nothing nearby because of ..the Jews. I had to walk to the main train station area. I know there are many Jewish guests in the hotel and the area there is called 'diamond area' = Jewish area.
I am not Jewish, the lady was not, she was of black origin.
When I asked the same lady why the hotel doesn't use key cards, she answered with a sort of smile that Jewish guests are not allowed to use a key card on Sabbath day. Was this helpful information or just backbiting?

A night receptionist could not give me info on public transportation from hotel to main trainstation. He told me he had no idea at all.

Fortunately the second morning there was my wake up call carried out by another Dutch lady at front desk. Fortunately she could easily explain me that the streetcars+subway to the main train station have their stop in the same street of the hotel.

Room Tip: rooms on street side more noisy.....
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Amsterdam, Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We spent one night in this hotel. We'd been here before but this time the hotel had deteriorated badly. Two light bulbs were broken. The door's lock is far outdated. Bathroom's cleanliness was quite poor (mould on the walls), towels were torn, broken waste-bin etc. The remote control of the television did not work properly.

Breakfast did not have the variety we had the previous time.

The staff confirmed our complaints, mentioning that the hotel is currently being renovated. Later, we were told by friend that apparantly these renovation has been going on for the last six (!) years.

We will definitely spend our time in another hotel next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Hotel is at walking distance from the central station. The central station is nearby the city center. Convenient room, Wifi (not tested), 24 hrs reception/bar. Helpful staff. Good (continental) breakfast. very good price for money (booked via internet).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Antwerp Diamond Hotel,
we booked a room for our almost a week long holiday getaway in antwerp. the concierge was pretty helpful and our communication was okay even though we we didn't speak the same language. The main reason why we chose particularly this hotel was its "location" and though decent priced. The rooms were just fine for we upgraded for a suite. The other standard rooms were typical average sized,but not particularly luxurious but nice and clean.
In the lobby they had a small bar and they were showing sports at the time.
The LOCATION was for us phenomenal a mere 2-3 minutes to the central train station. The Diamond ("Burse") center is also a few minutes walk. They also had a nice sized parking lot in the rear, In which they permitted us to park our bikes which we rented.

Overall we were satisfied with our stay, and wouldn't mind staying there again if we would be going on a 'low budget' trip.(For there are a few beautiful hotels in the area but they were much more expensive).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Eco Hotel Diamond Antwerp? Share your experiences!