“Nice amenities, but tired room.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Scandic Antwerpen

You added Scandic Antwerpen to your Saves list
Scandic Antwerpen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Luitenant Lippenslaan 66 | Borgerhout, Antwerp 2140, Belgium   |
Ranked #27 of 77 Hotels in Antwerp
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Nice amenities, but tired room.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is nice overall. Breakfast was great. But, the rooms were dated. It really hits you when the first thing you see whey of open the door is the old CRT TV. Also, there was snow in Antwerp before we arrived, and the car park was quite slippery; worse was that no effort had been made to clear the snow by the next morning when we left.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thijs D, Front Office Manager at Scandic Antwerpen, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear dbier

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. It's very nice to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Indeed we still have old CRT TV in the rooms. I am glad to inform you that we are updating our TV’s in the near future. The parking was slippery; we have used your feedback and took appropriate action to avoid reoccurrence.

Kind regards and hope to welcome you again in Antwerpen.

Thijs De Smedt
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lasel, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Staff was extremely friendly, accommodating and knowledgable. My family thoroughly enjoyed staying in this hotel. Great location just outside of the hustle and bustle of Antwerp. Pool was great for the children and breakfast was excellent with tons of different options. We would definitely stay here again, with or without the kids!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Caroline T, General Manager at Scandic Antwerpen, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Jacquie I,

Thank you for your great review. I'm happy to see that you and your family enjoyed staying in Scandic Antwerpen. I hope to welcome you again very soon!

Kindest regards
Caroline Tjeerde
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We booked a famly room via www.weekendjeweg.be (incl. breakfast) for only 77 Euro. Kids stay free at this hotel. The hotel is renovated, space rooms and good value for what we paid. Our young children and us enjoyed the swimming pool, sauna and hammam. Can highly reccommend this hotel to families, good value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Flying-Dutch-Lady,

Thank you for your nice comments, I appreciate this very much. It is good to see that the entire family enjoyed our welness facilities so much. I hope we may welcome you again in the near future

Kindest regards
Caroline Tjeerde
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The room was tired but the bathroom was quite good. The hotel desperately needs refurbishment. The staff in our experience however were first class. We had some problems with the heating and a faulty lightbulb but when I called down to reception a member of staff quickly arrived to fix them.

Very convenient location and quite quiet despite being near the ring road. Didn't use the indoor swimming pool or fitness centre.

Breakfast was included in the price and was OK

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
West Sussex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

OK - let's start with the positives. The hotel is VERY conveniently located next to the highway that links Brussels with Antwerp. The bar staff are entertaining and pretty efficient.

Right now the rest! I will take you though my two night stay. Day one arrival. The hotel looks a bit like an office block which I suspect it was at some point. Unsmiling, borderline unfriendly reception staff (a bit worrying considering the person was a "trainee"). The room itself is very basic. Yes there is a bed and a bathroom but it had a very tired feel. The guide for the TV was missing and the remote control was pretty tempremental. The TV itself was an old "tube" style which is really unusual these days and the picture was fuzzy.

The bed had a mattress that was about 2cm thick and very cheap. The heating system simply didnt work and was very noisy. I had the heat set to maximum and after about 5-6 hours, the heat was just adequate so I wouldnt visit this hotel in the winter - it must be awful. A colleague had a teleconference in her room and was literally shivering.

The bathroom had a soap dispenser which is common in cheap hotels and this is fine AS LONG AS THEY GIVE YOU A FLANNEL TO APPLY IT!!!!!.......................and they dont.

The dining room looks (and feels) like a factory canteen with tables laid out in neat rows and the "sumptious dinner" promised in the literature in the room is laughably inaccurate. The food was very poor (good chips though!). My room service was promised in about 20 minutes and arrived in five - it was, of course cold - not long enough in the microwave perhaps?? Breakfast was very basic and "help yourself" which isnt unusual but this is completely help yourself! I dont think I saw any staff but to be fair, they may have been there and I didnt notice.

All in all I was relieved to leave this hotel and hope never to be back there. It struck me as a place that does the least possible for their guests. The only reason I gave a 2 star review was the bar staff othewise it would have been one.

Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Scandic Antwerpen first made an impression of a well-kept hotel chain for business travellers (hence the 20 euro snacks & 10 euro beers). The rooms were pretty generic: comfortable, but not luxurious - one has what one needs, but not more. So, "a bit boring, but with a nice marketing & advertising department" - hence well-designed ads & witty slogans all-over the elevators, lobby walls & menus. The pin-up-styled key-card case even made me smile because it read "When we started in 1963 you almost needed a handbag to carry your key" & showed a sketch of a bulky wooden room-key (see the picture attached to the review).
However, it all changed when I saw... a cockroach running loose on the coffee jar at breakfast :-( As you can imagine, I didn't have coffee that day. Yeah, such a tiny annoying thing can spoil the impression, which has been meticulously build up by teams of tens of professionals. Well, and so it is: AVERAGE overall ranking at best.

Waterloo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

When it comes to hotels, I try to live by the mantra "all rooms look the same in the dark," so it doesn't take much to make me happy. I work in Antwerp, so I only stayed here because of a late night dinner and a very early start to a day-long business meeting. In a hotel room, all I want is a clean room (check) a decent bed (barely check) and a decent TV (no check at all). The TV felt like it was from 1995 and I absolutely struggled to change channels with the gigantic, old remote control. The elevator/lift to my room on the 5th floor shook back and forth up the shaft, which was not a comforting experience and I must agree with the other reviewers that everything is 1980s themed.

I had a drink with colleagues in the bar and the bartenders were scurrying around and making such a mess throwing used bowls of nuts against the wall nearby where the bin was. They just looked so frantic there that I was genuinely wondering if there was something wrong.

I spent the day in the Business Center up on the top floor. It was OK. It served the purpose.

In summary, I just felt bad for the people working there. It can't be very motivating to work in a hotel in such a condition and to be dealing with frustrated customers. I don't like seeing people so defeated, so I will stay at the Crowne Plaza the next time (as I have 5 times before).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Scandic Antwerpen? Share your experiences!