“Clean & comfortable with helpful hosts” 5 of 5 stars

Aan de leien B&B
Britselei 49 bus 6, Antwerp 2000, Belgium   |
Ranked #14 of 108 Antwerp B&B and Inns
Kingston, Canada
“Clean & comfortable with helpful hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were two friends spending a break in Belgium and decided to make our base in Antwerp with side trips to Ghent and Bruges. Tony and Jenny were very helpful hosts, giving us good directions to the sites we wanted to see, suggesting other lesser known ones that might interest us as well as public transport, restaurant and shopping tips. We really enjoyed the food and atmosphere at nearby Mampoko, a popular restaurant with locals.

This is a large and spotlessly clean flat on the seventh floor with good views of the city and apparently there is also a penthouse suite available on the eighth floor too. We did not not find privacy to be a problem at all and rarely saw other guests though other rooms were booked.

We had breakfast at 8 am all three mornings and others seemed to breakfast later. Fresh fruit, yogurt, orange juice, cereal, chocolate (this is Belgium after all) toast, coissants and a variety of breads, cheese and cold meat were always available, eggs could be cooked to order and the coffee was excellent. A roll of foil was on hand and we were encouraged to make a packed lunch to take with us - a perk we were happy to accept.

Beds were very comfortable with quality linens and the ensuite bath was large and modern. The flat at first appears to be in a boring office block but inside its very Euromodern with clean lines and interesting art and furnishings. We caught sight of the two cats once but they were mostly out of the way. The location was good - parking was available for a fee - quite walkable but trams if needed, and provided a quiet night's sleep. Tony and Jenny were gracious, precise and interesting hosts.

Room Tip: Ask for the penthouse or the large room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I am currently staying at this b&b on a business trip. I am spending a few days in the penthouse and I feel very lucky ! The suite is beautiful, clean and comfortable and what a view ! The terrace overlooking the town is really amazing.
The owners are a lovely old couple. They are extremely kind and cultivated.
The b&b is very well situated.
The home made breakfast is delicious !
I already know where I'll be staying next time I come back to Antwerp.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Forli, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I stayed in the big room with ensuite bathroom. I was alone I wanted to stay in a confortable and homely bed and breakfast. This was just perfect. The owners where extremely kind and eager to give me hints about what was on in Antwerp in those days. The breakfast was rich and good, and the room and the bathroom were always spotlessly clean. The b&b it at the 7th floor of a building just a few tram stops far from the Centraal Station (but the host will give you very clear directions when you book your room) and it is a stone's throw from the city centre. Would definitely come back or suggest it to my friends.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed in the smaller of the two rooms (the blue room) with my husband, while my friends stayed in the bigger room. As the other reviews say, there isn't much privacy, particularly as the rooms are in an apartment which is all on one-level. The lack of privacy will feel particularly acute for those staying in the smaller room, as you will have to use a toilet situated in the hallway. Which I think is also shared by the owners.

Despite this, I have no other complaints and enjoyed my stay. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, the bed was comfortable, it was quiet, it's ony a 15 min walk to the centre and there is parking if you need it. The breakfast was particularly good for the price. For only €2.50 a head, we had bread, pastries, cheese & ham, fruit, yoghurt, coffee and a wide selection of teas. The landlady even suggested that we use anything we couldn't eat for our lunch and left some foil on the table in case we wanted to make up some sandwiches. I've never come across this before in a B&B and appreciated the gesture.

So, if you're fanatical about your privacy, you might want to reconsider staying here. But otherwise, I would definitely recommend it. I've stayed in far worse in Antwerp for a much higher price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend this past November. The price is right, the location is great (walkable to everything or take the tram) and the room (better than most 3 star hotels) was nice with modern amenities, quality linens and a comfortable bed; however it's just plain odd.

While B&B's are typically in someone's home, this is in someone's flat so there isn't as much distance between your room and the other rooms. We didn't feel as if we had any privacy and tip toed in at night whispering the whole time we were in our room. Plus, not only are the owners in the bedroom next to you (or down the hall in the kitchen making noise), their extra clothes are in your closet and toiletries in the bathroom.

Breakfast (included in our rate) wasn't worth it - just decline and grab something in the city. The food is basically rolls, packaged ham, and plastic yogurt cups; although, the chocolate bishops are a tasty touch - if odd for breakfast. There's just one dining table and you're forced to sit with other couples. Luckily, we had a nice couple next to us and enjoyed our conversations with them, but if we hadn't it would have just been awkward.

All in all, it is a really nice place but it made us feel as if we were invading someone's home; so if you're looking for privacy, I suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of Privacy
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

My wife and I had a great time at the Vandepitte B&B. The location is just on the first ring road and a 15 minute walk from the city center.

The hosts were very nice. As we only had a short amount of time in Antwerp, we appreciated the fact that they didn't want to sit and chat for an hour upon arrival. Their house is wonderfully decorated in modern and ethnic styles.

The room was fantastic, with automatic shades that eliminate all sunlight. The bed was very comfortable and the bath was large and had a shower with a multitide of jets.

Hands down, the most elegantly presented breakfast I have ever encountered at any B&B.

One note of caution, if you are allergic to animals you may want to reconsider. The vandepitte's have two cats and one small dog. They usually stay out of the way however, but you can lure them out if you wish.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to Aan de leien B&B? Share your experiences!