“Fab Time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Antwerp
Lincolnshire
“Fab Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have visited Antwerp a couple of times over the years but never stayed over. On deciding to make a quick trip with my mother last month, I knew exactly where I wanted us to stay. The location of this hotel is perfect. Once inside, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was great, and the service was fantastic - nothing was too much trouble. If you are looking for a city break, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Everywhere is walkable that is worth seeing in Antwerp from this hotel. Only minutes in a taxi from the station, although we decided to walk to the station when we left the hotel, which didn't take long at all - despite the obvious detour of popping into a few shops en route! Highly recommended and without hesitation, I would book it again for myself.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
serge_de_wandelaer, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Kim J,
We were pleased to read that you both enjoyed our facilities and our services very much and thanks for posting your feedback. Guests commentary review is an important pilar in our search for excellence and exceeding guest expectations.
We cannot wait to welcome you back and will share your feedback with the team as recognition boosts the morale of the team very much.
Serge De Wandelaer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Turkish first
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Definitely a recommended hotel, especially if one has Hiltion Elite Loyalty Status. Great central Location for Antwerp stays, just a 12minute walk from Central station, nice rooms, pleaseant staff, I won't be booking elsewhere in Antwerp.
Plenty of nearby places to eat and drink, shop, plus Metro and Trams immediately by the hotel if traveling further afield and you do not wish to walk.

Late 6pm Friday night booking, sitting in reception As HH-Gold booked basic Guest Room and received 2-level upgrade to a nice Exec Room with associated Exec Lounge Access.
The in-room TV proved faulty, and as non-repairable the Duty Manager kindly moved me to a nicer room, Junior suite , rather than just another Exec Room.

As late arrival, and no TV, I instead used lounge almost immediately whilst my tv/room issue was investigated and resolved.. Some nice fizzy wine, spicy chicken was good whilst I wait. TV not really a big issue, and I guess unless previous guest reports, housekeeping will be unaware of TV issues until next room guest tries TV and finds faulty.
Interestingly as well as room key, needed for both room and lift to room floor, you now get a separate Lounge keycard these days. I guess lounge secured to stop "freeloader"s waiting to ride lift to Exec Floor and then access an unlocked lounge.

Exec room was very much normal fare, King bed, plenty of lighting, big flatscreen tv, work desk + chair, separate arm chair, minibar, coffee/rea faciliies and minibar. Did not look into bathroom as TV not working and I wanted to watch. Just unlucky, sometimes lack of TV would not matter.
Hotel has a 1-off 15euro movie package fee making all movies available noon-noon which was good value.

Junior-Suite was double width room, two sets of windows so nice and light. Sofa and Table in addition to all comforts from Exec Room. Even larger flatscreen TV than Exec Room had, UK channels BBC1 BBC2 ITV1 ITV2 which was nie for me.

If booking 2+ days in advance, one gets option to select upsell for better unsold rooms on arrival which I am usually happy to do and pay for.
Hilton are missing at rick here (not limited to this hotel) it is impossible to manually organise at reception during checkin any 'optional discounted paid upgrade', checkin staff said they are not authorised, and with my late 6pm checkin that room would likely remain unsold. I can usually upgrade on checkin at IHG hotels though.
Even if hotel hopes for last minute walkins, it is easier to sell walkin's a cheaper Exec room compared to eg a Junior suite, and I was only staying one night so not tying up room for several days.
Based on my later complimentary J/S upgrade, at the cheaper weekend nights (compared to midweek) room rates, I think J-Suite is defintely worth an upgrade fee when upgrade option is there, I know I would be happy to pay that required extra here.

Had breakfast in Lounge, cold fruit, breads etc, did not use restaurant breakfast, as unless in UK for UK type fried breakfast I tend to give Europe Restaurants a miss. Had eaten in retaurant last visit and knew Lounge was a good option for me, plus lounge is less busy and has nicer coffee.
Bathroom quite Large, Jacuzi + a separate small shower cubicle.

Pleaseant, polite staff everywhere from all of Checkin, Lounge Staff, Housekeeping, Night Porter and DM. Checkin and Checkout nice and easy, no queues

Mentioning night porter, as returning from a bar at 2am, found Hotel Entry locked. One has to buzz night porter, and provide room + name to be let in. Just an observation not a complaint, I have no issues with extra night time security at hotels when it is as painless to use as was the case here. The hotel lifts are already restricted to use only if one has a hotel room keycard why not add front door too overnight? !

Room Tip: Book Exec Rooms and higher.to get Lounge Access. Junior Suites are worth the extra over Execs
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear scuba_in_the_sun,
Thank you for posting your review and were pleased to hear that you were very satisfied with our facilities as well as services provided. We have noted your observations and will share them with the team.
This kind of feedback gives us the extra boost to search for excellence and strive to exceed guests expectations.
We look forward to host you soon again at the Hilton Antwerp.
Serge De wandelaer
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We arrived for 2 nights in October after taking the morning train from Amsterdam central. We took a taxi from the train station because of our luggage.

As a Hilton Diamond we were treated very, very well. The front desk staff was very helpful and upgraded us to a suite on the Executive floor with a great view. The Executive lounge was very nice with a great variety of evening snacks and breakfast items. There was a lovely outside terrace across from the EL where you could take your drinks and enjoy the view of the city.

The hotel is located in the center of the city and we enjoyed walking to all of the outdoor sights and stopping for food and beers at the market square restaurants.

I can't wait to come back to this hotel and city.

Dear gwen5182,
We were delighted to read that you really enjoyed our hotel's facilitis, services and the city alike. Thank you for sharing your feedback as it is a real morale booster for our team to get recognized and motivates them to further excel in guests expectation and search for excellence. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel in the near future.
stamford, ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We drove to Antwerp, and finding this hotel took some doing, but once we arrived, we were very pleased with the location. Even the most basic room was incredibly spacious, and well-appointed. The hotel staff was knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful, especially the young lady at the front desk from The Netherlands, Ester. The hotel is attached to a shopping mall, and amidst a pedestrian area with a number of nice shops. It is also on a square, within view of the main cathedral. All in all, it was a delightful place to stay. We had the buffet breakfast with the room, and the food was varied, and ample. I had a very unpleasant experience with another guest, a burly, macho creep with a trophy wife, who was uncomfortable waiting his turn behind me at the buffet, waiting to approach one of the chafing dishes--so he just leaned in as I was about to take my turn, and pushed me aside. I was hurt a little as a result, because he crashed into my arm while lunging in front of me, but instead of apologizing, this idiot muttered something about my being an American. Did he mean as an American I believed in good manners, fair play, and waiting my turn? Or did he mean that as an American I had no right to be ahead of him, a European, at a hotel in Europe? It was very strange, and totally uncalled for. When the waiter who saw this happen came to check to see that I was all right, I minimized the whole experience, but I appreciated his empathy. All in all, this was not the fault of the hotel staff, indeed they were all exemplary. Chances are, the same ill-mannered man will not be staying there when you stay--so please feel free to go to the Hilton when in Antwerp.

Hi reginalampart,
We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and services so much. thank you for posting your review as it is key for us to search for excellence and continiously exceed our customer expectation. This recognition gives the team a booster to try even harder.
I was really schocked to read about this rather unpleasant individual who walked into you but was pleased to learn that my colleague tried to assist you accordingly.
We look forward to welcome you again soon.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was my first stay at the Hilton Antwerp. It is a very nice hotel in a convenient location. The rooms are spacious, clean and quiet and the staff are excellent. When I am back in Antwerp I will definitely stay at the Hilton

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Martin T,
Thank you for posting your repsonse which gives lots of recognition to us and boosts our motivation to continue our search for excellence and exceed our guests expectation. We were pleased to hear that you both enjoyed our services as well as our facilities. Looking forward for you to come back to your home away from home at the Hilton Antwerp.
Lennik
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

In general, this hotel deserves its 4 star rating!
I have booked a Standard Guest Room with Kingsize bed room no 441.
Below a summary of the plusses and minuses:

+ location is fabulous, right at the "Groenplaats"
+ size of room
+ bed and pillows
+ special requests where honoured
+ friendly and professional staff
+ nice lobby area
+ lots of character, cosy feeling in general

- light broken in bathroom
- smashed mosquito on ceiling in bathroom (not acceptable at all!), really a pitty, would have rated 4 stars for cleanliness otherwise!
- price~quality is a bit overrated

Overall, this hotel is to be recommended!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear TommyD,
First of all my apologies for the late reply and would like to thank you for posting your experience. We were pleased to read that overall you were very satisfied with your stay and thank you for pointing out areas of improvement. Your recognition of our services is a great motivator for us to further strive towards exceeding guest expectations.
Looking forward to greet you soon again at the Hilton Antwerp.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was our 4th stay at this hotel in the past 3 years. We have always stayed here because of its great location and the wonderful staff. None of this has changed. What has changed is their prices. We last stayed in October of 2012 and between then and now, the price has doubled. When we asked if the price was correct, they said yes, that was the current rate. We asked if there was a convention going on or something and they said no, that is the normal rate. We didn't push it any further because this is the wife's favorite hotel. They did however, when we arrived, upgrade us to the executive floor (5th floor) and lounge. Upon checkout, we noted the 9 euro/day charge for wifi and asked if that could be removed or discounted because we had stayed there 9 days and were on the executive floor. We were told no, everyone pays the same unless you are Honors Gold or higher. We knew what the room rate would be before leaving home. We just thought at that rate there would have been more things (read: wifi as a minimum) included. We are coming back to Antwerp next May, but will have to give this hotel a serious reconsideration. Recommended, but with reservations.

Room Tip: If you can, try to get the executive floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
serge_de_wandelaer, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Tymbo,
First of all my apologies for the late reply as we have experienced some communication failure.
Thanks for posting your feedback and we were pleased to learn that you have enjoyed our property and we are glad to see you returning to our facilities.
Our prices are indeed influenced by demand and availability, seasonality etc.... as are most perishable products, just look at the price differences in airline tickets.
Our loyalty program offers from a Gold level onwards (3rd tier) complimentary WIFI within the room. Complimentary WIFI is as well available in our Executive lounge and public areas and I'm glad that the team discounted the rate as a gesture of your length of sty by 6€ daily as the normal rate is 15€/day. .
As you are a frequent traveler I suggest you to enroll and enjoy future benefits such as bonus points, airmiles, in room amenities, free upgrades upon availability, mineral water and of course WIFI.
Should you be interested to enroll please drop me a mail or visit us at Hilton.com.
Looking forward to see you returning soon at your lady's favourite hotel.
Serge De Wandelaer

Been to Hilton Antwerp Old Town? Share your experiences!