“Quite happy with this hotel for a conference.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #16 of 77 Hotels in Antwerp
Gatineau, Canada
“Quite happy with this hotel for a conference.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was at the Crowne Plaza Antwerp in July 2014 for 1 week for a conference at the nearby DeSingal Conservatory. I quite enjoyed the Crowne Plaza.

The common areas were clean and well organized. Staff was helpful, polite and nice. They did forget my wake up calls though, so you may wish to have an alternative. The pool is cold, but beautiful, and there are lockers with towels to change and leave your stuff. The gym is well appointed. I'll comment the restaurant separately.

My room was a room with 2 single beds. Quite european! The carpet had an odd stain, and the bathroom (and shower curtain) had some mildew spots. House cleaning did forget to re-supply my complimentary water bottles (2 days in a row), and to re-stock my towels (on 2 occasions). The bed I used and its pillows were very comfortable and I slept very well. The curtains closed well keeping the light out. The room layout was handy, with a great size bathroom with full size shampoo bottles (saves the environment and I'm all for it!), mini fridge, good sized safe, ample closet room, desk, chair, comfy chair and round table. Coffee was included in the room, as was tea.

Free wifi didn't work for 2 days; and was spotty on other days. My A/C broke one day, walking me up at 5 AM with the sound of water dripping on the soaked carpet. They did fix it during the day though and it functionned properly for the rest of my stay.

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere. It is easily walked to the Conservatory though, and students parents must be happy about that. There is a bus station right in front of the hotel that comes about every 20 min. for dowtown (15 minutes bus ride). There is also a tram station within about 7 minutes, that takes about 10 minutes if connection is quick for most places to visit. I didn't try the breakfast at the hotel, as I prefered to get egg sandwiches from the Esso nearby. The esso also has a sandwich counter, drinks, pre-made drinks, etc. It is worth visiting if you want a cheap meal in your room.

Overall, I was quite satisfied by this hotel and would return should I need to be in the area again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hans W, Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Zaz936,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
It's with great pleasure we read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our apologies we didn't refill your complimentary water during your stay , we indeed had technical problems regarding our wifi which is allready solved now. We feel very sorry you didn't have access to the wifi 2 days during your stay.

We hope to be able to welcome you back for another positive stay, and please know, that you are always welcome!

Hans Wils

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I travel a lot, both for business and pleasure, and often stay at crown plaza brand hotels.
In my opinion, this hotel does not qualify to be a crowne plaza brand. For many reasons, the most important being the lack of hospitality and the rooms.
The rooms are not at all comparable to other crowne plaza locations, nor is the service.
The rooms were sub par for the Crowne Plaza brand. They looked like a much cheaper brand and were noisy. and hot airc not working
Summary of my stay: unprofessional and no clue what hospitality is about. Never again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Ashley J,

Thank you for sharing your experience online.
Please know that during your stay it is always a pleasure to assist you and that we will do our utmost best to ensure you can enjoy your stay with us.

I'm very disappointed to read the points you pointed out, since they seem to be an exception in our daily high standards.

I would like to thank you for highlight the problems you have had during your stay so we can focus to improve your highlighted points.

I am very surprised to read your point about our hospitality. Because this point is one of the most important points we are focus on at this moment. I am going to

Me and my entire team are looking forward to welcome you back to ensure you a positive stay at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen.

Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Almost everything was excellent during my stay. Comfortable, quiet rooms. The restaurant and cafe had great food and coffee. Free wifi, an amazing fitness center, and really cool pool. For the price paid, this was a crazy good hotel. Only thing to watch out for is the breakfast. It's pretty expensive and not very good (in my opinion). I've stayed at many European hotels and most have had a superb breakfast. However, this one broke the mold. Everything else was outstanding though! Would definitely stay here again and recommend. It's easily accessed from the freeway too.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear TheRoyalChief,

Thank you so much to share your positive stay experience online.

I am happy to read almost everything was prefect during your stay.
It is always a pleasure to assist you whit all your questions and remarks and to ensure you can get the best out of your stay in Antwerpen.

Thank you for highlighting your expectations about our Breakfast buffet, we will assure you we shall improve our buffet so you can enjoy your stay for 100% in future.

We look forward to another positive stay with us at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen!

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Crown Plaza is my choice hotel when I visit Antwerp. It is a well run property that offers good service and fair value. The room was very functional and offered most of the things you would expect to find in a business hotel. The environment of the hotel is nice and all of the facilities seem to be well maintained. To sum up this is a good hotel for a business stay !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear RickyRbts,

Thank you very much for your great review.

It's such a pleasure to read all your positive remarks as we are focussing on being THE business hotel in Antwerpen.

I’m pleased to read you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed here on a business trip recently. Check-in was painful as the hotel had clearly not geared up for a large group arriving simultaneously. Once in, the room was spacious and clean and well enough appointed for the needs of a travelling businessman.
The bathroom was clean and came with essentials as required. The wardrobe space was large and there was a safe also.
Complimentary bottles of water were a nice touch, although the mini-bar was empty, so a tease that could've backfired if I'd relied upon it to have a midnight snack.
The bar in the hotel is pleasant enough, but does feel like exactly what it is....a hotel bar. I was surprised when returning from a night in town and fancying a nightcap to be told by the barman that the bar was closed and the only way to get a beer would be to go to the petrol station down the road. I found this to be most offensive, and even when I qualified myself as a resident, he advised that room service would not be able to pour a beer.
The town centre is about 3 miles away, which means you'll need to grab a cab. Not a huge problem, but certainly a surprise when you book a city hotel that you expect to be in the middle of things.
All in all, it's clean, modern, functional but quite a way out of town, but I would stay there again, but now armed with additional knowledge.

Room Tip: To get a good view of the city, which is a few miles away, get to the tenth floor or higher.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Liamnye,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review on tripadvisor.

It's a pleasure to read all the points you loved during your stay.

Please know that all our minibars contains only a complimentary water. You can actually fill your minibar with products from out of our Grab & Go that is located next to our reception desk at the ground floor. This way of working offers our guests a larger collection of products which they can choose to keep them cold in their own minibar.
This service is open 24/7 so I am very surprised to read our barman has send you to the
gasstation. Offcourse I will give the restaurant your feedback to avoid this feedback in future.

Please also know you can make use of public transportation to the city center in front of our hotel. This (shuttle) service will take you to the town center every 10 minutes.

Thank you so much for your feedback once hope to welcoming you back soon,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is a good hotel. The rooms are a good size. The staff are helpful. The decor was fine. The bar area was comfortable. It is quite a way out, at least a 45 min walk to the centre . We asked the desk how much a taxi was. They said around 10 -15 euros to the centre. We were charged over 20 euros, they go on the meter and took the long way around. Someone else said they paid a similar amount. On the way back it was 13 euros, so that was a bit disappointing , not the hotels fault but it leaves the hotel guests feeling unhappy.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear AXB1,

Thank you to share your experiences of your last stay online

It's been a pleasure to read you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I am so sorry to read there were problem regarding your taxi service. We always try to avoid these cases as we are working close together with the biggest taxi company in Antwerpen.

Please know you are also able to use a very efficient public transport line in front of our hotel that brings you to the city center within 10 minutes. This bus will drive every 10 minutes.

Me and my team are looking forward to welcome you back soon for another positive stay!

herts england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a european coach tour. Beautiful public areas, very modern and attractive. The bedrooms however are in need of updating and seem to be stuck in a nineties time warp. That said the rooms were exceptionally clean and the bed was very comfortable.
The staff in all areas of the hotel were very helpful and friendly. A pleasant 1 nights stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear greatobealive,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read everything was as you expected it to be at time of booking.
We have indeed renovated our lobby and restaurant recent. I would like to let you know we are still undergoing an upgrade regarding our guestrooms.

Very good to read you have noticed guest satisfaction and the attitude of our staff are one of the most important points we are focus on at the moment.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hans Wils

Been to Crowne Plaza Antwerpen? Share your experiences!