“Good selection of beer in a quirky setting” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Architectural Buildings, Bar/ Clubs, Bars
Activities: Drinking
Buxton, United Kingdom
53 attraction reviews
“Good selection of beer in a quirky setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I guess this is where all the catholic statues ended up. If you like a bit of quirky with a good selection of beers then this place is worth a visit. I guess it is a bit of a tourist venue but I have never seen anything like it before.

Visited November 2013

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
70 attraction reviews
“So cool!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband & I just couldn't resist going into this restaurant! We felt if the menu didn't look good or if it didn't look clean we could just have a beer and not eat lunch, but regardless it was going to be worth a look around! The restaurant is next to the cathedral hence it's nickname the cathedral cafe. We were welcomed by a friendly hostess & shown to a small quirky table. It was hard to stop gawking at the furnishings long enough to take a look at the menu. There were lots of hearty sounding meals available and lots of great Belgium beers. The waitress helped us make a selection and she was right on! She also brought over some complimentary tasters she thought we would enjoy. I ordered a beef stew that was wonderful & my husband got a chicken dish with mushrooms & a sauce that was also great! The only problem we had was not enough time in Antwerp to go back for more at Het Elfde Gebod!

“Bloody marvellous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We often end up eating here during business trips because it offers a dazzling array of beers and a delightful menu. And that's without mentioning the unique atmosphere inside where a startling number of religious decorations, busts and statues adorn every shelf, nook and cranny.

It's almost as if you are being judged as you quaff different beers under the watchful gaze of 100 virgin Mary's.

The last time we went, I was dithering over which beer to choose from the extensive menu so the waitress suggested I took what she referred to as a 'beer demo'. I excitedly agreed and she brought us a tray of 6 different beers in small glasses and I politely worked my way through every one, making knowing comments about each one like I was some kind of experienced beer buff. From what I can remember there were some dark ones, some light ones, some sweet ones and some bitter ones. On top of that we ordered a round of the local De Koninck which is also known as Bolleke. Imagine the fun we had asking for '6 Bollekes all round'. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Ahem.

Anyway, with the beer gradually taking affect, we worked up a healthy appetite and ordered our food from a hearty looking menu. I ordered the Flemish Stew which was bloomin lovely! A thick and rich beer based sauce oozed around wonderfully tender chunks of beef which fell off the fork and melted in the mouth. This was served with thick and crispy triple cooked chips which were enthusiastically dunked into my stew and gobbled up like a dirty viking.

A colleague ordered the duck which, judging by the grunts of satisfaction, went down very well. He ordered this with a glass of Kwak and I would urge other diners to enjoy the moment when you can ask the waitress for the duck and a Kwak.

Feeling satisfied by the food, the atmosphere and the copious amounts of beer, we staggered out of this amazing establishment feeling warm, fuzzy and somewhat giggly. This place is brill.

Amen

Glasgow, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
“A unique experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

If you are not into religious statues, this is perhaps not the place for you - there are hundreds of them!

On the other hand they do have a great selection of Belgian beers in unique surroundings including the 10% St Bernardus which we enjoyed.

As with all Belgian pubs, the difficulty was deciding which beer to choose. Not the brightest of locations as it is quite a dark interior, but it is close to the Grote Markt and other central Antwerp locations

North Wales, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
“Should have read the reviews!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

In my guide book it recommended this place for a reasonable 3 course lunch. So we went I. And sat down and waited and waited and waited. No menus were offered, no nod of acknowledgement. There were two parties in front of us with menus so we decided to cut our losses and go else where. Interesting inside with all the statues shame the service didn't match. We ate in the restaurant opposite and watched people sit down outside and they were served eventually!

Visited August 2013