“BED BUGS” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Antwerp
Moscow, Russia
“BED BUGS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

this is the worst place I ever stayed and I usually do not write any comments on any sites.
Staying at this place changed this, people be ware.
Rooms are dirty, there is no service, yes it's cheap but sleeping with bed bugs and waking up the next morning with a complete irritating skin for days !! Then later found out that these bugs got into my clothes and I took them home. It cost me a fortune to have my place cleaned, luckily my children were spared.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

This was an apartment/flat rather than a hotel. You are only able to check in between the hours of 4-8pm. No one is there at other times. On weekends there are no staff – you need to check yourself in. They leave the key out for you.
Apartment (217) has a large bathroom, separate toilet, lounge/dining/bedroom all combined and a small kitchen.
Place is clean and tidy. Has good heating, not so good lighting.
Flat appears to be in an orthodox Jewish area. There are not really any shops/restaurants etc nearby.
Tram runs outside and train approximately 1 block away. Easy 5 minute drive to the city.
Beds are 2 singles. Neutral colours, lamps and paintings.
Kitchen has all equipment for cooking – stove etc.
Shower allows lots of water on floor.
Pillows plus bedding is minimal.
Would be a good place to stay if coming for a long period and you wanted to have a full flat to stay in. Not a good place to stay if you want any service.
Parking available underground – access card given to you so you can access it. €10 a night. Car park is very narrow though.
Alright but if you are wanting a hotel or service, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

Just before our trip (but after I booked the room) I have read last reviews on Trip Advisor about bed bugs - and I was shocked in advance and was afraid about my wife and children.
But in reality my family had a very good stay in this hotel.
Two big rooms (good beds without bed bugs, very good sleep), bathroom (good equipped, even with fan heater), kitchen (very good equipped - microwave oven, toaster, full set of tools).
There ware good view from windows - our room was on 8th floor.
There are 2 shops with food near the hotel - I liked one which is behind bridge. We bought food - meet, eggs, bread and so on and prepared delicious breakfasts and suppers.
We went to city center by foot - about 20 minutes. About 10 minutes to Central railway station.
I was not interested in Internet, so I haven't tried it.
Which I did not like - I was a bit surprised on check-out: when we left hotel and I went to reception room to give keys to receptionist, he gave me bill (in English) and in advance asked to sign one short paper with text in Dutch. I refused this, because I do not know Dutch and do not like to sign papers which I do not understand. I just wrote about this on this short paper. I think hotel management have to think about this.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Antwerpen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

I was staying in this apartment for more 2 months and I can only leave this apartment in mid-april 2010. I did not choose this apartment, it was chosen by my company. When I first arrived, my hands were found to have bites whenever I wake up in the morning. I found it strange and i did suspected it was from bed bug bites. True enough, I wake up very early around 2am because my hands was very itchy. I began to search the bed and I manage to find bed bugs. I killed it instantly and i reported to the person in charge. When i told him, his reaction was indifferent and he did change my bed but only the next day. This mean that I still have to suffer for 1 more night.

Not only this apartment have bed bugs issue, the internet connection is super slow and there were 3 weeks where i had difficulty in connecting to the internet. The internet speed was so slow that you cannot even watch youtube and playing facebook games. The worse joke is that, the in charge said that you can pay 5 euro to have fast speed connection. Intially, I did wanted to pay 5 euro to try out. But, I was lucky that I manage to read the review placed at the lobby where past customers did mention that the 5 euro for fast speed internet connection is useless.

Those who still choose not to believe can still try to stay here if you are a risk taker or not afraid to be biten by bed bugs. I don't have a choice because it was paid by my company , however you do have a choice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

The studio flat was larger than I expected with a large shower room with double basin & separate toilet. It was very clean & nicely furnished. The small kitchen was well equipped for the basics & the digital clock, TV & heating all worked fine. I found the bed comfortable as I like a firm mattress.

The location is good for sightseeing, an easy walk from Central Station for access to other places in Belgium - I visited Bruges & Ghent - & easy access to the rest of Antwerp by a metro stop - Plantin just around the corner.

The check in was self-service being as I arrived on a Saturday afternoon but no problems. Helpful information was provided with the key card in English about shops, emergency numbers etc. & the password for free wi-fi, which I found really useful for checking weather, train times etc on my i-pod touch. You only have to pay if you want higher speed internet - at 5 euros per day, I found the free service sufficient.

I only had to deal with staff once, to sign the lease on Monday but found them very friendly.

I prefer the independence of an apartment to a hotel & am quite happy to not be handing keys in every time I go out.

On the doenside I did find sleeping difficult at times, even after a long day sightseeing - this was due to a combination of light in the room & noise from the street. The noise coulod only be reduced by secondary double hlazing, but the liight coming in through the transparent roller blinds would be solved by hanging curtains or a blackout blind. The manageress did say they are planning to hang curtains (drapes) but not this week! Shame.

Overall I found it a good place to stay as long as you know you are renting accommodation rather than staying in a hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

I'm staying almost 4 weeks now at the Ambassador Suites.

After +/- a week I saw I hade serveral severe bites but didn't know what was happening. Although I've travelled a lot, I've never had any experience with bed bugs. Untill one night I was lying in bed with my laptop and saw a bed bug passing by on the bed. I was able to kill it and showed it at the reception the next day. They said they were aware of the problem.

They proposed to move me to another studio on another floor. There the infection was even worse! Before going to sleep late at night I was able to find and kill 3 bed bugs in about 15 minutes. In the meanwhile I had bites on legs, feet, back, fingers, ...

So I thought I should leave here, but then I started reading that there was a great chance that I would take the bed bugs with me (in my luggage, clothing) to my next place. After moving to a third studio the first night I didn't had any new bites, after the second night I had new bites on my feet.

I asked to be compensated but the ceo Guy Coenen refused and responded me by e-mail that it wasn't a huge problem! So I decided to contact the media, today two articles were written in the newspapers 'Gazet van Antwerpen' and 'Laatste Nieuws'. The name of the hotel was mentioned, so were pictures of the bugs I was able to kill and my infections all over my body. Just google Ambassador Suites Antwerp and bedwants.

Tomorrow I'm leaving, all clothing is going directly to the dry cleaner for a special treatment, a lawsuit will be filed against the Be Housing company.

Be warned!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Stratford upon Avon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

If you read reviews a year or two back for the Ambassador Suites then you would think twice about booking.

We stayed for two nights and found everything in order and very clean. Cheaper than a hotel as well. We just took a box of food and refreshments from home and self catered. There is a large supermarket 5 min walk away and the kitchen had everything you needed to prepare a meal.

The bathroom and separate toilet were well equipped and clean and the beds were the traditional continental rock hard type... fine for us.

We booked underground parking @ £10ish per day and this was well worth it as street parking outside hotel would have been double that.

All in all a great stay and whilst your there don't forget to visit the Grand Station, Cathedral and old town area, oh and sample the belgian beers. A lovely city and so compact - we walked everywhere.

Andrew

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambassador Suites Antwerp? Share your experiences!