“A great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Bergen, Norway
“A great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Wonderful food, excellent wine and truly great staff who really put across their passion for food.

The ingredients were fantastic, and it felt like they had been selected and combined with a lot of care and attention. It was a small menu but I like this approach as it means the ingredients are fresh. I have a dairy allergy and they were very accommodating and I didn't feel I was missing out!

We were made to feel very welcome and it was one of the best restaurants experiences I've had.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

96% Recommend
Antwerp, Belgium
“Wonderful Steak Tartare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

There is tremendous atmosphere in this little restaurant that seats 24, from the polished original tiles of this small packing house to the overhead rails that carried carcasses you know you are in the centre of meat country. The steak tartare or "americain" (the meat is minced rather than cut) is infused with basil which gives it a truly tasty aroma. Ask Bart to suggest the wines by the glass. He has a superb selection he picks up from his travels. A reservation is a must for lunch.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Great little secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Bart-a-Vin is a small restaurant run by two guys who really care about good food and wine. There's a limited menu, but that's because everything they do is freshly prepared and cooked right in front of your eyes and it just tastes sublime. Bart talks you through the menu, and will advise you on some wonderful wines to accompany your choices (if that's what you want). This place was definitely a highlight of our trip to Antwerp. We had a perfect lunch here; fantastic salmon and slip soles, grilled vegetables with creamy mozarella, and a great tartare which is their signature dish. You need to book ahead, but you'll be very glad you did.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Antwerp, Belgium
“Don't miss it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Nice and quiet restaurant in the meat packing district with a very simple menu. Only 2 options: meat or fish. But super delicious.
Also a very nice wine selection: name your taste and get a delicious wine served with your meal.

Be aware that the restaurant is closed during weekends.

The Hague, The Netherlands
“Well hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

What a surprise! I had already heard so much about this place and tried many times to book a table but every time a friendly person told me the restaurant was fully booked.
This time I was lucky and turned out lucky I was.
It is really well hidden and for sure tourist who never heard of it, will never ever find this place.
It is a small restaurant with only few places. That explains why it is difficult to book a table, for sure during weekends.
But that would still not be the case if the food and the service wasn't good.
The menu is limited but still making a choice is difficult. I ordered a dish of mixed grilled vegetables with mozarella and as main a piece of porc with gratinated potatoes. Waaauw, what an honest dishes. I guess I never had a piece of porc so tender and tasteful in my life.
I asked for pairing wines and informed them about what I don't like to drink. The suggested wines did go really wonderful with the food.
I was so tempted with the Chocolate Moelleux they had on their dessert list, I just could not resist. And thank God, I couldn't. So often this is a heavy dessert but here it was light as I hoped it would be.
It is a place to remember and to return to. Hopefully I will have more luck next time when I try to book a table than mostly.

• Visited January 2013