“excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Very cosy restaurant in the botanical garden of Antwerp.My wife came here before sevaral times. We came for lunch and it was excellent - after a short waiting time for you can't reserve a table on saturdays- we had beeftartare , veal and frogfish all prepared with a special twist not forgetting the special desserts.I've already been to several "star restaurants " but this one deserves the star and the detour as Michelinguide indicates.Service was friendly and to the point.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Grobbendonk, Belgium
“Excellente”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Not cheap but well worth the price. Food is excellent and the desserts are masterpieces, not only in presentation but in taste. A explosion of taste that I can't describe. Service is perfect, friendly and professional. Well situated within walking distance from the heart of Antwerp.

• Visited July 2013
Kobe, Japan
“Top notch desserts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate here to celebrate our anniversary. We've eaten here a number of times, usually in the outdoor patio part adjacent to the beautiful gardens. The service from staff is either fair or very poor. It really depends on the mood of the staff on the particular day you dine there. The chef is well renowned and has his own show on the food television network Njam.
Prices tend to be more upscale but the quality matches the price of the dishes that they serve.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belgium
“Absolutely the best food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've eaten in a lot of restaurants from Brasserie to Michelin stars. Some I have returned a few times simply because it's the nearest or because the food is good and the price is reasonable. But one restaurant I can't forget is "Het Gebaar" in Antwerp. The restaurant is simple in itself cozy and situated near a park, yet, it does offer a special menu. You would think that you would get the normal meal, but the chef (owner) makes it so special that you would take out your camera because the food is so well arrange like an art. There are so many Michelin stars restaurant that does served food artistically but Het Gebaar for me is the best. Every pieces of the food taste good and makes you think or wonder what it is made of? Food is delicious... dessert... fabulously out of this world ! Never would you find anything like it.
Price, very reasonable and for a Michelin Restaurant, it's way better than other Michelin star restaurant in Belgium... Server, very friendly and attentive. The owner (Roger Van Damme) who I only knew that he was the owner because his books are displayed near our table and are for sale came out for a short while to look at his clients (very nice on his part to do that).

Oh before I forget, people would be shy to take a picture of the food... I wasn't... but once I started to take photos with my iphone, almost, and I mean almost everyone started to take photos too of their plate. :-)

• Visited February 2013
Gent
“The best restaurant in Belgium (or maybe even in Europe)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

For my boyfriend's birthday, we had lunch at Het Gebaar in February 2012 (for some reason, I forgot to post this review before.)

This was truly our best restaurant experience EVER.

We knew Roger Van Damme from the Flemish tv channel 'Njam' and always loved watching his tv shows in which he makes the most incredible desserts.

What we didn't know, was that his starters and main courses are all just as great as his desserts. So our expectations were highly exceeded.

Every course you get looks like an artist's masterpiece. The plates are so beautifully decorated,it almost feels like it's a downright shame to eat them. But when you do eat them, they're like heaven on your tongue.

So if you go there, don't take just the dessert but try both: main course and dessert.
I think we paid around 70 EUR per person for an alcoholic drink, a fresh orange juice, a main course and a dessert (the desserts are around 20 EUR each but so much worth their money) so all in all not very expensive if you know that this restaurant is the only lunch restaurant (in Belgium) that has a Michelin star.

The only disadvantage is that you can not make reservations in advance on Saturdays (the restaurant itself, told me that - from their experience - they know they can serve more people on a Saturday if they don't take reservations)
So when you go there on a Saturday, you have to be lucky to get a table. We had to wait approx. 30 minutes before we got a table but it certainly was worth the wait.

The restaurant is located in Antwerp's botanical garden. Although the garden is very small, the restaurant's interior is really cosy and the service was very friendly.

I can not say 1 single negative thing about this restaurant. They simply have all the ingredients that a good restaurant should have.

• Visited July 2012