“Very good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express The Hague - Parliament

You added Holiday Inn Express The Hague - Parliament to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express The Hague - Parliament
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lange Houtstraat 5-7, 2511 CV The Hague, The Netherlands (Voorhout)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 69 Hotels in The Hague
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oslo, Norway
“Very good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

You are a two minutes walk from the office of the prime minister of The Netherlands, in the middle of this nice city. The hotel is brand new and then I told the staff that my bed was a little too hard, they told me that could be because I was the first one to sleep in it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GM H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express The Hague - Parliament, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Hans-O-T,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory due to the hard bed, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Kind Regards,

Front Office & Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Warsaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This new Holiday Inn Express-branded property by Dutch Hotel Partners is brand new and has very little reviews so I thought it deserves a comprehensive one.

This was my first stay at a Holiday Inn Express, so I do not know what the usual standard for the brand is, but if this is representative then I am a happy camper. Please note that Holiday Inn Express is a limited-service budget-oriented brand, so do not expect luxuries and note that service is, in fact, limited. HiEx hotels also do not provide on-site restaurants (only breakfast is served), which is not a problem in this particular case since there are so many literally just around the corner.

My overall impression of the hotel and my stay (details below) is very positive, I got just what I was expecting and it was perfect for my needs in many ways. I have noted what either I personally found as negatives or I thought might be for some other travelles, but to me they are minor, I am just mentioning them to inform you of those aspects of the hotel.

My favorable opinion is obviously affected by the great rate I got of little more than EUR 60 per night, which at a HiEx includes breakfast and WiFi. At a significantly higher price, the hotel might not be such an excellent choice given the level of service and facilities, although the location is still commendable.

*** LOCATION ***
The Dutch Hotel Partners have struck gold by acquiring an relatively new office/administrative building in what is otherwise the historic centre of Den Haag, and turned it into a hotel very successfully.

+ The hotel is literally next door to the Binnenhof (Dutch parliament), the Plein is more or less at the doorstep, and several ministries are in the immediate vicinity.
+ The Den Haag Centraal railway station is a nice and comfortable 5 minute walk away
+ Den Haag is a very walkable city, but if you need to go somewhere farther away, tram stops are also close by
+ The shopping district starts right behind Binnenhof, meaning it's also close to both designer shops, more gastronomic facilities and staple providers like the Albert Heijn supermarkets
+ Finally, for leisure tourists it's good to know the VVV Den Haag (excellent tourist information) is also nearby
- It might be that some rooms have less favorable views (obstructed / uncomfortably close) than mine because of the location of the hotel at a corner of narrow streets of old Den Haag (do note a number of rooms face the internal atrium, which is rather small and does not provide direct sunlight)

*** BEDROOM ***
+ My room was functional and spacious enough for two travellers on a short (1, 2, perhaps 3 nights) stay
+ I found my bed (one of two in a twin room) large and comfortable enough, even if not exceptional in any way
+ Simple but adequate tea/coffee-making facilities
+ The two pillows allow for comfortable reading/working in the bed
- The furniture and decor are pretty basic, but the nice chair helps make it look modern and elegant
- There is no closet in the room, only a few hangers on a rail and a few open shelves
- There is no refrigerator (or minibar for that matter, it's a Holiday Inn Express, you get your paid drinks from the fridge by the Front Desk or at the bar)
- In my room, the electric socket by the beside lamp was on side only (only for one of the two beds), I simply can't fathom why

*** BATHROOM ***
+ While not exactly large, it is big enough to be comfortable, you don't bump yourself into fixtures or require contortionist skills
+ Really nice and spacious shower cabin with a functional full door preventing the flooding of the bathroom floor (my pet peeve)
+ Convenient place for your toiletries under the shower (another pet peeve of mine, do hotel bathroom designers have a fetish of making you bend over to pick up the soap, to say so?)
+ Universal "hair and body" detergent smelling even quite nicely :)

*** BREAKFAST ***
+ A choice of either regular or chocolate milk for the cereal (yoghurt only available in cups)
+ Fresh fruit (apples, bananas, kiwis and I think something else that I forgot), although only as such, no fruit salad available
- Very Dutch, i.e. a lot of processed, standardized food, such as spongy bread, machine-made pastries, packed cereal, jelly jam, peanut butter etc. I like it that way, for some it might not be to their tastes
- No warm items if you care for those, unless the possibility of toasting the bread qualifies

*** SERVICE AND COMMON FACILITIES ***
+ All the staff very corteous and professional, needless to say speaking very good English (it's the Netherlands after all)
+ The staff member manning the front desk on the morning we arrived was among the best service professionals I ever met (and that's NOT something typical of the Netherlands)
+ Strong and quite problem-free WiFi throughout the hotel
- Getting a proper invoice was a long and excruciating procedure (not that I was charged wrongly, but I need specific information on my invoices and it took me a long time to get it done properly)

Room Tip: 101-104 and 127-130 face the internal atrium / 123-126 face Lange Voorhout / 113-122 face the narrow...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear JTCz,

Thank you for your very detailed review. As we are really new, like you have mentioned, we really appreciate that you have taken the time to write us such an extensive review. We can really implement and learn from what we do right, and also prevent or alter processes to work them faster and better for our guests.
We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to The Hague.

Kind Regards,

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here in early January. The hotel had only been open a few weeks and was in excellent condition. Great rooms and public areas. Great location close to the station and just a few minutes work to Bars and restaurants. Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Newly opened. Great friendly staff, good decor and value... BUT Greedy holiday inn have opened next to a noisy nightclub. Only stay if you have no interest in sleeping here. What a shame. I'm assuming other reviewers were here on a night it was not open.

• Stayed January 2013
GM H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express The Hague - Parliament, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. Also thank you for noticing the friendliness of the staff. I’ll let them know that you appreciated their efforts.

I am so sorry about the noise you experienced from the neighbors. The rooms on the atrium and garden side of our hotel are farther from the street and are quieter, and we would be happy to book a room for you in this location on your next visit.

If there is anything else I can do to ensure your stay is flawless next time, please let me know by contacting me directly at info.hagms@hiex.nl .

Again, thank you for your feedback and my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

Please consider staying with us again on your next visit to The Hague!

Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Wow, stayed here for one night this week. Very impressed by this new hotel. The young lady at the reception mentioned I was one of the firsts guests. Just opened this week. Extremely friendly staff and very closely (walking distance) located to the train station, and middle in the city centre. Rooms were sparkling and fresh. Breakfast for free which is new for me since I do not know hotels who offer this to their guests, same as WIFI, also free. Will be coming back soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express The Hague - Parliament? Share your experiences!