“Nice basic hotel, good location, and unbeatable staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sebel

You added Hotel Sebel to your Saves list
Hotel Sebel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikplein 20, 2518 JC The Hague, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #43 of 70 Hotels in The Hague
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Nice basic hotel, good location, and unbeatable staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had the unfortunate experience of an indefinite weather delay when flying out to Europe/The Hague, so the indescribably nice staff members of this hotel first took last-minute phone calls from our friends delaying our reservation by one day, then canceling our reservation altogether, then reinstating our reservation for one night. Even after that, they were incredibly HELPFUL and just plain NICE when we arrived - they billed my credit card in advance, but in the end only charged us for one night despite ALL the problems with our (originally) two-night reservation. They also let us store our luggage there after check-out so that we could see the city some more before our train left in the afternoon. WOW, you just can't beat that!

The room itself was clean and adequate. No fan/air, but TV and internet, bathroom with toilet and shower (soap/shampoo), radiator in the bathroom that worked in summer (so I could dry some clothes I washed in the sink - shh!), and I believe a hair dryer and fridge if I'm not mistaken. I've read that the elevator doesn't reach all the rooms, which is a shame, but it reached ours - and we were very grateful!

There was a bar with karaoke across the street, but the noise didn't go too late so it didn't really disturb us. The hotel itself isn't right in the central area, but it's very easy to reach with the streetcar and/or is within walking distance if you don't mind a kilometer or two.

In the end, we had a great stay here at a very decent price for two people, and our experience with the staff was priceless.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Hotel Sebel is a fantastic option for anyone who is travelling to Den Haag and looking to stay within the city centre without the excessive costs of a chain hotel.

Located in the Zeeheldenkwartier, the hotel is only a ten-minute tram ride from the station and sits opposite a circular plaza with some rather artistic fountains and benches. Within the vicinity, there are also a number of convenience stores, cafés and snackbars (particularly on the nearby Prins Hendrikstraat). Another positive aspect about the hotel's location is its proximity to the beaches of Scheveningen and Kijkduin - it's only a short walk to either relevant bus-stop (one located at the Vredepaleis, the other just off the Laan van Meerdervoort), with each bus ride being only about twenty minutes.

The staff at the hotel are certainly some of the friendliest hotel staff I've met. From the moment my friend and I arrived, I could tell that the hotel had a very welcoming and pleasant atmosphere. During my stay, I required a number of documents (including a rather lengthy document of ten pages) to be printed off and the staff were extremely helpful with this matter.

Our room, a twin, was very comfortable and clean, equipped with a flat-screen television (including both Dutch channels and BBC 1), a wardrobe large enough to accommodate the luggage of both my friend and I, a desk with a fan and bed-side tables. According to the placard in the room, kettles can be requested from the reception desk. Our room was particularly large, (actually larger than those offered at some chain hotels at a much higher rate), as was the bathroom, which had a bath-tub equipped with a shower-head. When my friend and I travelled the weather was particularly hot, so we were glad to see that the windows of our room were able to open all the way. The trams don't run throughout the night and as the local area is residential the nights tend to be quiet, allowing for a peaceful sleep. A big bonus about the rooms is that they include free wi-fi and the entire hotel is smoke-free.

Breakfast included various breads, cheese, cold meats, fruits, cereal, scrambled egg, bacon and pastries, which made for a light start to the day. Throughout the day, you can rent a bike from the hotel, which is useful as The Hague doesn't have as many bicycle rental shops compared to a more tourist-geared city such as Amsterdam.

Finally, a particularly nice feature about the hotel is its design. The building dates from the late 19th Century and features original Art Nouveau details. As some reviewers have already mentioned, the stairs are steep and the lift can only reach certain floors; however, it's worth noting that such stairs are very common in traditional Dutch buildings (I would even say that steep stairs are the true mark of a real Dutch buildings) and considering the age of the building, I don't imagine it's possible to install a lift that would reach all the floors. Regardless, I imagine the staff would be more than happy to provide a guest with a room that can be reached with the lift, if necessary.

Overall, a great family-friendly hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
HCM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Reasonable value, pleasant place in a nice neighborhood.

Rooms were very plain and nothing to write home about,either positive or negative. We stayed one night which was acceptable, but probably wouldn't stay there for multiple nights. Reception friendly, rooms clean, TV with a good coverage, breakfast quite good.

Key drawback was the stairs. Never in my life have we seen such steep narrow stairs to climb up to the rooms. Main attraction of the neighborhood was a 'coffee shop' with quite a wide selection of reefer and hash. We could not resist sampling which made negotiating the stairs that much more interesting (even the next morning).

Hotel not recommended for elderly, young families with children, or people with large bags. Note that we were two men on business trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

First glance of the hotel was excellent - a nice mix of an old building with modern interior design, and the stickers of TripAdvisor recommendation, and Michelin recommendation etc. The location was convenient enough, tram line directly to the central station; a great square next to the hotel, especially nice during summer for the terrace.

We stayed for one night in a double room. The bed was good. But the toilet was smelly and it killed all the good feelings of the hotel. It was so bad that we had to shut the toilet cover and bathroom door during the night, and I wanted to leave as soon as we could.
Breakfast was included in the price, which was very nice, but the quality was poor except the coffee.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've stayed at the Sebel several times now, for both work and fun, and I'm always assured a warm welcome, good wifi and friendly staff. I tend to skip the hotel breakfast and head around the corner to Crunch- a cute little cafe which does everything from a full English to homemade soups and cakes, and is popular with the Hague's many expats. The Sebel does recommend some local restaurants which offer a discount for Sebel guests, and there's plenty of choice in the area, but my particular favourite was the Chef India Express on Prins Hendrikstraat 54, a British Indian eat-in/takeaway located 2 mins walk away- just call to place an order and they'll tell you when to come and pick it up.

To get to the Sebel from DH Centraal, just hop Tram 17 (direction: Statenkwartier) to van Speijkstraat and walk back across the circle.

My only warning is regarding the stairs- I'm fine with them, and there is a lift in part of the hotel, but potential guests should make sure to check they have a luggage-friendly room if they're bringing a lot of stuff with them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed here for three days in March on a regular visit to The Hague to make a change from the usual chains I stay in. It certainly made a pleasant change. I asked for a room without too many stairs and got a big corner room on the first floor with an interesting layout and huge bath. It was great! It had three large windows looking over the square and individual old-style furniture. It was cool and airy enough that I did not need the window open and was not bothered by noise. Even when I did open it I did not find the sound of traffic intrusive. I asked to borrow a kettle and was provided with one together with a cup. On my last morning I slept in and was, technically, too late for breakfast by 20 minutes. Because the last few guests were still lingering over their coffee the staff in charge said it was OK and waited for me before staring to clear away. This was much appreciated. The bed was comfortable and the wifi worked well. It is handy for the tram to the station and I will cetainly stay here again.

Room Tip: My room on the corner was very nice