“Friendly, Affordable Hotel in a Good Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sebel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sebel to your Saves list
Hotel Sebel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikplein 20, 2518 JC The Hague, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #36 of 69 hotels in The Hague
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Friendly, Affordable Hotel in a Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've stayed at the Sebel several times now, for both work and fun, and I'm always assured a warm welcome, good wifi and friendly staff. I tend to skip the hotel breakfast and head around the corner to Crunch- a cute little cafe which does everything from a full English to homemade soups and cakes, and is popular with the Hague's many expats. The Sebel does recommend some local restaurants which offer a discount for Sebel guests, and there's plenty of choice in the area, but my particular favourite was the Chef India Express on Prins Hendrikstraat 54, a British Indian eat-in/takeaway located 2 mins walk away- just call to place an order and they'll tell you when to come and pick it up.

To get to the Sebel from DH Centraal, just hop Tram 17 (direction: Statenkwartier) to van Speijkstraat and walk back across the circle.

My only warning is regarding the stairs- I'm fine with them, and there is a lift in part of the hotel, but potential guests should make sure to check they have a luggage-friendly room if they're bringing a lot of stuff with them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed here for three days in March on a regular visit to The Hague to make a change from the usual chains I stay in. It certainly made a pleasant change. I asked for a room without too many stairs and got a big corner room on the first floor with an interesting layout and huge bath. It was great! It had three large windows looking over the square and individual old-style furniture. It was cool and airy enough that I did not need the window open and was not bothered by noise. Even when I did open it I did not find the sound of traffic intrusive. I asked to borrow a kettle and was provided with one together with a cup. On my last morning I slept in and was, technically, too late for breakfast by 20 minutes. Because the last few guests were still lingering over their coffee the staff in charge said it was OK and waited for me before staring to clear away. This was much appreciated. The bed was comfortable and the wifi worked well. It is handy for the tram to the station and I will cetainly stay here again.

Room Tip: My room on the corner was very nice
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Lincolnville, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The staff was helpful and attentive. We enjoyed the location as it was convenient and pleasant. The rooms were large but spartanly furnished. We enjoyed the breakfast, too. Would definitely stay here again on our next visit to Den Haag.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kingston Bagpuize, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Comfortable though oldish room, friendly and helpful staff. Wifi somewhat iffy... Rooms on the Zoutmanstraat side suffer a bit from the noise of trams passing by below... especially if you have to sleep with your window open the way I do... Despite this, I have used the horel on several occasions and would do so again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We arrived for an overnight weekend stay around 3pm. We were given the keys to our rooms and we went up 4 flights of steep stairs. Upon entering the two rooms, we saw that they were not ready. By the time we trekked downstairs, the hostess was waiting for us, telling us she had just realized the rooms were not ready. We asked for other rooms rather than waiting for them to be cleaned and we were given two more rooms on the top floor of an adjacent building. These rooms were fantastic! They were the last two at the end of the hall, one on the corner of the building with alot of light and windows. We were very happy to have changed rooms.

The rooms were very clean and neat. There was plenty of room to spread out in the corner room. Each room had a quirky touch like a funky chair or table. The beds were very comfortable and we slept well.

Caution - if you don't like stairs, don't get a room up top. I counted 120 stairs up to the top floor. Steep stairs for the last floor that were almost like walking up a ladder. We didn't mind but some visitors might not appreciate this.

We had the breakfast buffet and were very happy with the offerings. We felt it was worth the money and it kept us from having to leave the hotel early to find other options.

We used the hotel parking and were pleased with that. The staff even let us leave the car there until we left the next day, after we'd checked out.

The staff at the desk were all courteous, helpful and pleasant. They provided directions and information about Den Haag for us.

We found it a bit far from downtown but only because it was cold and wet. In nicer weather, we'd probably not mind the extra walk. couldn't figure out the transport system so we walked everywhere.

I'd definitely go back!

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb stairs, request a ground floor room!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Great location, Ok price. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a apartment which was nicer than the one we live in back home! I didn't want to leave! Unfortunately we were absolutely stuffed from a full on day at Dutch Water Dreams water park (highly recommended) so we missed the breakfast. Staff were very friendly. Location is 3 tram stops from Den Haag centraal. Too easy.
Good pizza shop very close. Nice little roundabout/garden/water feature place to sit right next to the hotel.

Awesome. I wish i didn't miss the breakfast!!

Bed was amazing.
Bathroom was massive and very well styled.
great couch and living area.
several tv's.

the one negative was the cleaning lady walking into our room at 9am when we were still asleep... but that's minor compared with the good stuff!!

Will stay again for sure.

Room Tip: spend the extra for an apartment. it IS worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Lovely hotel, especially rooms on very top floor. Friendly staff and good location - walking distance to town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Sebel? Share your experiences!