“The biggest Starwood disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lange Voorhout 54 - 56, 2514 EG The Hague, The Netherlands (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel des Indes)   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay with rates from €79
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in The Hague
Sydney, Australia
“The biggest Starwood disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in May 2014. Being a luxury collection property we expected something special. They say first impressions are lasting impressions. We arrived by taxi - there was no doorman available so we took our own bags in - no big deal. Check in was fine and we reached our room to unpack. The room was very cold and we attempted to warm it up with the available heating options. It soon became clear that a cold draught was coming through a small ventilation shaft in the room ceiling immediately above the bed. We called front office to ask if the vent could be closed - answer no. Explanation was that the external ventilation shaft entrance circulated external weather conditions throughout the entire hotel. Outside it was raining, very windy and very cold hence the outside wind driving the cold air into the ventilation shaft and circulating that cold air throughout the hotel. Not willing to sleep under a cold breeze and risk catching flu we asked for an alternative room. We were shown two alternatives - one at the front with street frontage. Being a heritage building there was no double glazing in the windows so room was subject to street noise. We declined and took the second room, number 003, which was up the grand staircase (2 flights), through a door, then a second door then up a narrow winding staircase. The room was tucked away in a corner of the hotel but was quite large. The ventilation was above the door at the end of the bed and faced the television so the incoming cold air was blowing away from us. We ran the heaters for the entire time to keep the room at a comfortable temperature. All good from here - no. On both days housekeeping failed to properly service the bathroom either not stocking up basics like toilet paper or sufficient towels. Our requests for these items was promptly met but should not have happened in the first place. The room had 2 windows - it was raining heavily most of the time we were there and both windows leaked. We had a pool of water on both sills which ran over to the carpet. We alerted concierge who came and mopped up and assured us it would be attended to. Alas, the water was still running in when we left. On the occasions we raised issues with front office/concierge, they were addressed but the assurances we received that it would not happen again or it would be fixed never materialised - nice words but no actions. Next, the beds here have overhead canopies. Looks nice. I happened to knock the underside of our canopy with my arm when putting on a sweater and received a shower of dust and fluff. A look at the canopy top revealed a large collection of fluff that appeared to have been there for some time. When drawing the room curtains it was found they were in similar dusty condition. Given the location of this room my guess is that it does not get a lot of use and therefore is not regularly attended by housekeeping. If I am wrong here then housekeeping do not do a good job. The restaurant - there were two options here, the fine dining area and the area outside fine dining. We opted to sit outside the fine dining area. The food served was nice but again the service lacked what one would expect from a luxury collection propertyor indeed even a nice restaurant. We had to ask for bread, we had to ask for the sweets menu and were never asked whether we were enjoying our meal. At breakfast on the last morning, albeit we were early, there were insufficient cereal bowls so staff substituted with paper plates. There was one nice touch here in that a young lady named Kim looked after us each morning at breakfast, quickly memorising our friut juice choices, tea and toast requirements. She was fantastic. A lot more Kim's would have made our stay here more enjoyable. In the breakfast/dining area there were several chandeliers. The one above where we sat had several blown light bulbs. From an appearance perspective I would have thought maintenance would promply replace blown light bulbs - no. Was not a good look, particularly in this property. On check out the printer wasn't working so I had to have my invoice emailed - on checking, yes, an overcharge on a breakfast which was promptly reimbursed. Am I being too critical here with what I have said - probably. However, I have stayed (and lived) in 57 different Starwood properties, 14 of them have been luxury collection properties. This has been by far my worst Starwood experience. In summary, if you want a comfortable room without a cold breeze in a professionally maintained property and to be looked after by staff who seem to be enjoying their roles and displaying a service culture then DO NOT stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a cold draught.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2014
Dear World traveler,

We are sorry to learn that your stay with us has not been to your satisfaction and to your expectations. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the heads of departments you have mentioned, and we will use your feedback to improve our service.
As you have explained we are indeed located in a monumental building and therefore we do not have the ability of changing, for example the double glazing of the windows.

Please note that we will pass on your kind comments to Kim. And we hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards,

Rem Bastiaens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I live very nearby, a few minutes walk but had to come here as the heat forced me to look for an airconditioned hotel, so I could finally sleep.
I was VERY pleasantly surprised that this hotel is even much better than I ever thought. I am appalled to see that currently this is only the number 5 at TA. People who voted less than 5 stars should be deeply ashamed, although I agree with the previous reviewer that the baths are very deep and inaccessible for people with mobilty problems. I stayed in a room with just bath and shower, not a separate shower so I too had problems getting out of this deep and slippery bath (I am 61 and fat).
I had room 208, a very small single with about 100-110 cm wide bed.
It's opposite the elevator but that does not disturb except the people talking. Direct connection with the spa down in basement with small swimming pool. With the marvelous personell I had only very good experiences. Each of them was exemplary in kindness and service and it's a privilege to talk with doorman Antonio Mareirros, who works there for many years and has all sorts of stories (like in the hotel book in the room) on this legendary and very famous hotel from 1881. Manager Mr Bovsovers writes in the hotel book that he hopes that one day the hotel will be well-known all over the world. If that's not the case yet, the world should be ashamed.
It's the ONLY Dutch hotel that has a miniature in Madurodam!
Great also is that Des Indes has very decent prices in the weekend and a great restaurant, my world's favourite but closed in July and August.
Breakfast is in the lounge, a nice place but with slightly annoying piped music (boring muzak ,should be classical), but a waitress said they cant change it and it's decided in Canada.
Breakfast buffet ( from 7 AM ) is pricey (35 euro, 30 for me) but astonishing in it's offerings, unlike ever seen before. Special breads, salmon, Innocent juices, dried fruits, fresh fruits, everything else you expect, plus (very special ) scrambled eggs in a glass jar with lid. No eggs made to order though but there were hardly any guests, none when I went at 8.30 AM on a Sunday.
This hotel is part of Starwood's Luxury Collection with renowned hotels like Gritti and Danieli in Venice and Imperial in Vienna (and Pulitzer in Amsterdam).
It has top-service. like it once was able to have a museum opened. within 10 minutes ,especially for a delegation who requested it at a time the museum was closed (must have been celebrities).
So it has a swimming pool (open 7 AM till 10 PM, weekends 8 till 8), small but very nice with 2 powerful jet-streams that enable you to swim against the current. Also sauna and steam room and rest room. Massages for 55 euro (1/2 hour) or 95 ,full hour).
My small room 208 was still delightful and had everything you'd wish and a Siemens climate control, which is totally silent, nothing to be heard and as cool as you want. Ultra-comfortable bed ( Sealy, see www.vandamqualitybeds,nl ), Molton Brown products in bathroom, a SCALE, Dutch and English magazines, minibar, hotel history book,coffee machine, water cooker, DVD player and radio, Ironing board, 95 channels on TV
(Incl. BBC and 3 ITV channels) above a small but nice desk, and radio channels on TV incl. classical Radio 4)l. However no culture channels, like Mezzo or Dutch BravaNL. about 21 films on demand for 15.75 or 2 oldies like Out of Africa and Meet Joe Black for 12,95, and 3 documentaries for 9,50 , incl. Felix Baumgartner's Space Dive in 3 languages. All films in English , subtitled in different languages, one in Polish and in Hungarian, some in Dutch.
Best films now are Grand Budapest Hotel and Enough said.
Also on demand music, including classical for 5 euro.
Expensive minibar, drinks 5 euro, 1/4 bottle wine 8,50 euro.
Room service with several meals for 24 hours, good prices. Bottle champagne 99 euro (not highest price I ever saw).
Beautiful hotel in rooms, corridors, lounges, There's a sigar room (the library). Nicest surprise was that there are rooms (incl. my 208) around a courtyard which makes it very quiet (just 2 screams from the street on a Saturday) but for quietness avoid this hotel during the fancy fair around end of April and summer music festivals.
STAY HERE, NOWHERE ELSE !!

Room Tip: Best is around the courtyard, for silence or the front when there's no festivity. 208 is a grea...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Dutchguy,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Des Indes. We are very thankful for your kind and elaborate review.
We are honored that Hotel Des Indes is in your top-3 best hotels. We will be sure to pass on your comments hotel our ambassadors.

With kind regards,

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is a historically important hotel redone to a high fit out level, with several buts:

We were there the days they did a full hotel mattress replacement: through the main lobby, using the passenger elevator, and literally clogging the front entrance. Mattresses remained piled up in the parking across the street until pick up. Door staff seemed more interested in the workers than guests. At the very same time the entry canopy was being repaired with ladders, workers etc. Is July the best time to do all this really?

Bath tub is an accident waiting to happen. It takes a quasi gymnast to get in, and more skill to get out. There is a warning sign on the wall to be careful, but why design a make over like this?

Our room was opened by maids, cart outside, no one inside. We re-entered after breakfast yet no one came back for the 20 minutes we were there. The concierge was alerted and handled this extremely well, including offering us a drink later in the bar. This was a right response, still, with all our belongings left unattended we were not happy.

Desk staff is underinformed; maybe this isn't too much of as tourist city? They seemed baffled by some of our queries like where to breakfast if not in the hotel. They could not tell us, yet we discovered many local spots on our own. One concierge advised us to go a few streets away which we did only to find out the named cafe does not open until 11 AM

You get the idea. This ship needs to be tightened up quite a bit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear guest,

We are very sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and the inconvenient period did not make it any better.

Unfortunately with such an big project it is almost impossible that everything goes according to the planning. We can understand that this is not what guests expect from a 5 star hotel due to the lack of space there was unfortunately no other possibilities.

We appreciate your feedback and will take action where possible. Still we hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Des Indes in the near future.

Middleburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was in Den Haag recently to visit family, and got a decent weekend rate. We are familiar with this hotel since the InterContinental days, then the revamped look by M. Garcia a la Hotel Costes during the Meridien period, then now under the Luxury Collection. First off, the check-in by the front desk personnel was exceptionally warm, welcoming, and accommodating. I was given a room right away - not the best location, but I was here to visit my family down the street, and did not care too much what kind of room I got, just grateful to have had one immediately. The reception team was probably the best I have encountered in a long time, very genuine in attitude. Everything was well addressed and every little problem was immediately resolved, indicating a very good customer service oriented management style. The door staff was a different story, however - inconsistent, indifferent, and under some rare exceptions, it was quite good - but mostly because the engagement was solicited, never volitional. I don't care if the doorman does not open the door for me, but I do care if it is done (or not done) in a consistent manner - so I can adjust my pace. Here sometimes they just stood and stare...Other time they run to hold the door...But this is not a unique problem to this hotel, I assume it is annoying having to run to the door every time there is a person coming and going. Anyhow, the overall hotel décor is a tad dark - but if one is familiar with Mr. Garcia's style (look at the Hotel Coste), it is to be expected. I am not a fan of the Hotel Costes, and I was a bit unease to go fall asleep without the light on under all that frighteningly complicated décor (Dutch East Indies reinterpreted...very cleverly done, I must say...). Nevertheless, the bathroom is modern, the amenities by Molton Brown, the bed exceptionally comfortable, and there is definite a very finished and high-end luxe feel to the room. Yes, definitely will return - specifically and only because of the reception team!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Dom,

How delightful to read your extremely kind review!

We are very proud of all our ambassadors that work here in Hotel Des Indes It is very nice to learn that the feeling we strive to give our guests has met your expectations. We will be sure to pass on you comments to our reception team.

Indeed the style of Mr. Garcia is not to the liking of everyone but as you mention it is certainly unique and that is why it fits Des Indes perfectly.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back when visiting your family in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed here for two nights as part of my company's package on moving to the Hague. The location of the hotel is great - very close to the city centre, yet far enough away from all the noise and crowds. The superior room I stayed in was a bit dark (maybe part of the atmosphere), but the bed was comfortable, and had everything I needed. Even though the company had paid for fast internet, even with the complimentary "slower" internet, it was already sufficient. Unfortunately the pool was closed so I didn't get to use the facilities, there was also a small gym room with a few treadmills, cardio machines and weights. The equipment is all clean and with recent technology. The style of the hotel was luxurious and opulent, maybe not suiting everyone's personal style choice but certainly different from most of the other 5 star sleek, modern business hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear traveler,

We are very pleased to have welcomed you here during your transfer to The Hauge.

It is great to read that the style of Hotel Des Indes has made a positive lasting impression with you. Please note that we also have rooms that allow more sunlight and upon request we will do our best to accommodate you in that room.

We hope that you have has a smooth move to The Hague and hope that we can welcome you back for a visit to our lounge/restaurant where we have recently implemented a new concept.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Fantastic property in the heart of Hague. My wife and I spent 4 nights. Super friendly staff at the hotel. Would especially point out the above average welcoming at the front desk and the concierges, Best in Class. You set the right ambience for us and the stay. The Superior room was very good. Even though the property was old, there were no noise from traffic and other rooms, and that was much appreciated. The history of the hotel is a must to read. Made the stay extra worth while. The property as such was amazing. If I would point out something to improve, it would be the gym, which could be larger and a little faster room service (50 min). But overall it was a fantastic experience. I will recommend this hotel to everybody, even if you visit Amsterdam, which we did. The property is ideally located in Hague.

Room Tip: Superior room with a view to the front.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jan Erik,

From what we can understand you have had truly indigenous experience at Hotel Des Indes.
We are very pleased to read that our ambassadors have given you and your wife a warm welcome.

We are happy to read that, as you have pointed out, we are an historical building and are located in the heart of The Hague noise has not been an issue during your stay.

Please be sure to visit us again and stop by our concierges for more ins and outs about The Hague and our hotel.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Mixed feelings about this hotel. It is very comfortable and the location is great. I stayed on Starwood points - so at no cost and as a platinum member. On check-in, several hundred euros were 'pre-authorised' against my credit card. Immediately done but in the meantime, I don't have the money any more (who does?) and it takes a week or more to let me have the credit back. I got away lightly. Two colleagues who were staying with me, also using points, had thousands of euros 'pre-authorised'. They got texts throughout the night - every night - telling them that the hotel had made another charge. None of us were using the minibar or eating in the hotel.

On saturday morning, I asked to extend my stay - on points - by one night. The receptionist said that the hotel was quite full but that she would sort it out for me. When I got back in the afternoon, I was asked to pay more than 400 euros for the extra night - which I declined, saying I was prepared to leave. A long discussion ensued with the duty manager who initially sticking on the 400+, said she would see what she could do. I retired to the room. Later, she told me that although it had been 'impossible', she could indeed extend my stay on points. I thanked her for accomplishing the impossible.

So this hotel will take you for everything they can and try to make you feel grateful. If you are not travelling with a company credit card and don't care what they take off you, find somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your stay at Hotel Des Indes and the time you have taken to give us feedback of your stay. We acknowledge your Platinum status with Starwood and can understand your disappointment.

Making the check in authorizations is a hotel policy and we can understand that for your type of reservation the amount authorized has been too high. Our credit card system checks the balance of the guests and if necessary makes an addition to the already authorized amount every night. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the proper department so that this will not be repeated.

Reservations made by points should never be a problem in our hotels but unfortunate for the guest can only be done by calling Starwood service desk.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Rem Bastiaens

Been to Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!