“Old-fashioned elegance in the city centre” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lange Voorhout 54 - 56, 2514 EG The Hague, The Netherlands (Formerly Le Meridien Hotel des Indes)   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay with rates from €79
Ranked #5 of 69 Hotels in The Hague
London, United Kingdom
“Old-fashioned elegance in the city centre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed here for two nights as part of my company's package on moving to the Hague. The location of the hotel is great - very close to the city centre, yet far enough away from all the noise and crowds. The superior room I stayed in was a bit dark (maybe part of the atmosphere), but the bed was comfortable, and had everything I needed. Even though the company had paid for fast internet, even with the complimentary "slower" internet, it was already sufficient. Unfortunately the pool was closed so I didn't get to use the facilities, there was also a small gym room with a few treadmills, cardio machines and weights. The equipment is all clean and with recent technology. The style of the hotel was luxurious and opulent, maybe not suiting everyone's personal style choice but certainly different from most of the other 5 star sleek, modern business hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear traveler,

We are very pleased to have welcomed you here during your transfer to The Hauge.

It is great to read that the style of Hotel Des Indes has made a positive lasting impression with you. Please note that we also have rooms that allow more sunlight and upon request we will do our best to accommodate you in that room.

We hope that you have has a smooth move to The Hague and hope that we can welcome you back for a visit to our lounge/restaurant where we have recently implemented a new concept.

Rem Bastiaens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Fantastic property in the heart of Hague. My wife and I spent 4 nights. Super friendly staff at the hotel. Would especially point out the above average welcoming at the front desk and the concierges, Best in Class. You set the right ambience for us and the stay. The Superior room was very good. Even though the property was old, there were no noise from traffic and other rooms, and that was much appreciated. The history of the hotel is a must to read. Made the stay extra worth while. The property as such was amazing. If I would point out something to improve, it would be the gym, which could be larger and a little faster room service (50 min). But overall it was a fantastic experience. I will recommend this hotel to everybody, even if you visit Amsterdam, which we did. The property is ideally located in Hague.

Room Tip: Superior room with a view to the front.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jan Erik,

From what we can understand you have had truly indigenous experience at Hotel Des Indes.
We are very pleased to read that our ambassadors have given you and your wife a warm welcome.

We are happy to read that, as you have pointed out, we are an historical building and are located in the heart of The Hague noise has not been an issue during your stay.

Please be sure to visit us again and stop by our concierges for more ins and outs about The Hague and our hotel.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Mixed feelings about this hotel. It is very comfortable and the location is great. I stayed on Starwood points - so at no cost and as a platinum member. On check-in, several hundred euros were 'pre-authorised' against my credit card. Immediately done but in the meantime, I don't have the money any more (who does?) and it takes a week or more to let me have the credit back. I got away lightly. Two colleagues who were staying with me, also using points, had thousands of euros 'pre-authorised'. They got texts throughout the night - every night - telling them that the hotel had made another charge. None of us were using the minibar or eating in the hotel.

On saturday morning, I asked to extend my stay - on points - by one night. The receptionist said that the hotel was quite full but that she would sort it out for me. When I got back in the afternoon, I was asked to pay more than 400 euros for the extra night - which I declined, saying I was prepared to leave. A long discussion ensued with the duty manager who initially sticking on the 400+, said she would see what she could do. I retired to the room. Later, she told me that although it had been 'impossible', she could indeed extend my stay on points. I thanked her for accomplishing the impossible.

So this hotel will take you for everything they can and try to make you feel grateful. If you are not travelling with a company credit card and don't care what they take off you, find somewhere else.

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your stay at Hotel Des Indes and the time you have taken to give us feedback of your stay. We acknowledge your Platinum status with Starwood and can understand your disappointment.

Making the check in authorizations is a hotel policy and we can understand that for your type of reservation the amount authorized has been too high. Our credit card system checks the balance of the guests and if necessary makes an addition to the already authorized amount every night. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the proper department so that this will not be repeated.

Reservations made by points should never be a problem in our hotels but unfortunate for the guest can only be done by calling Starwood service desk.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We visited Des Indes for high tea on a Sunday afternoon. We are all vegetarians and the hotel was well able to cater for this. The tea consisted of four courses, all of which were tasty and well presented. The staff was very friendly and the teas, including the hotel's own brand, were excellent. The tea, and the beautiful music from the harpist, made for a very special afternoon in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We are very pleased to read that you have experienced our indigenous Hotel Des Indes high tea, and that it was to your expectations.

Our Sunday afternoons are very popular and we are very proud of our High Tea tradition.

Muscat
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Where to start - Great location in the centre of the Hague with a unique decor with the premise based on old fashioned elegance. The welcome is somewhat intimidating, entering from the sunshine outside into a dark narrow reception. But its a friendly staff at the desk, and I'm quickly checked in and in my room. The room is a "Split Level Executive" with my bed "upstairs" on a galleried mezzanine.
Lighting is poor and I never managed to switch the lights off from upstairs from my bed, which meant a risky walk in half light up narrow stairs. My bags were left downstairs in the lounge (my choice) which was a mistake and left for a cramped living area.
It was a business trip, and the tiny desk and dining room chair were pretty useless for working on a presentation. Wifi was awful at times and the repeated logging in - even after paying for a 3 / 4 day pass was irritating.
Positives - the doorman was a great source of info, and helped me several times, and almost all of the staff were very helpful and very friendly.
Food - the breakfast was great, and the sorbet deserts were super. The Mains were OK. This is not a cheap hotel, so would I go back? Most likely yes if I was with my wife - she would love it. On a business trip - I would need to think about that.

Dear traveler,

Thank you for your honest and helpful review. We can understand that this room was not suitable for your reason of stay. Because of the monumental building the rooms have been fitted in to the hotel,instead of a hotel build around the rooms as in a modern hotel.

We would love to welcome you back to accommodate you in a room more suitable to your wishes. Please note that for your future reservations it is always possible to leave a comment with your preferences. With that information we will do our upmost best to arrange the proper room for you.

All our ambassadors are educated with knowledge of The Hague. Our concierges have the best tips about our beautiful city that will make your future stay with your wife memorable.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Beautiful hotel, interesting history, and excellent service. Walking distance to restaurants, shops, and hotels in the Hague. There is a spa, small pool, sauna, and gym on the ground floor. Highly Recommend!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kate,

How wonderful it is to read that your stay with us has been a pleasant experience.
Hotel Des Indes is very proud of the rich history it has gathered over the years and will be doing so in the future. Maybe with your next stay we will have even more interesting stories.

Due to the small size of The Hague we are indeed in walking distance of all the major highlights. Please be sure to stop by our concierge with your next stay, for they have all the ins and outs of our beautiful city.

With kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

It's a great hotel, with lavish décor, in a quiet but very good & central location.
The staff are very professional & the breakfast buffet is good.

Just so that all the praise doesn't make them complacent I've noted a few minor areas that they can still improve:
1) Wifi is okay but having different options & the need to constantly log-in is not great. It should be all free, at the premium speed & with a simple one time log-in.
2) Put brown sugar on the tables for breakfast (it's better for coffee than white)!
3) Send you concierge to other nearby cities to expand their knowledge outside of Den Haag.

So, it's not perfect but it is very good & I'll happily stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Des Indes.

We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we always appreciate the feedback of our guests, and will be sure to improve where possible.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Rem Bastiaens

Been to Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!