“5-star pretentions, 3 star service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 69 Hotels in The Hague
Oldenzaal, The Netherlands
“5-star pretentions, 3 star service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked one night with a Bongo-voucher we had as a gift. The assigned room was in the older part of the building and was 'OK'. Not splendid, a cigaret of a former guest was found in the ashtray on the balcony, the bed was really soft and the safe was closed (probably also by the former guest but apparently not checked by housekeeping). So far, a regular room. When we asked for assistance a front desk employee tried to open the safe, but did not succeed, because the digital key was broken (?). Let's not hope that you forget your safe deposit key numbers and your passport is still in the safe and you are about to fly home, because no one in this 5-star hotel could help you. After some discussion we were transferred to another room in the new part of the building. This was definitely better, with a good bed and firm mattresses. This looks like good service, but we really had to be persistent to get this them finally come up with this offer. Furthermore, the breakfast was just fine, but not 5-star. And then, check-out. We had to wait 20 minutes in queue just to pay the tourist city tax! This really should be organized better in a 5-star hotel. Location is great, between The Hague and Scheveningen, next to two tram stations. But the service is not as high as they pretend to be.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new part. These are much better!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Sandor45,

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was booked into Crowne Plaza Den Haag Promenade on a business trip and was a little surprised to discover is passes itself off as a 5 star hotel. The accommodation is clean and modern but quite small and certainly no better than a Holiday Inn. Like so many 3 star hotels, the rooms are very dark with no ceiling lights and only underpowered wall and standard lamps.

Although the bed was exceptionally comfortable, sleep was altogether denied by the loud rumble and juggering of the air conditioning (which made a noise like a tanker refuelling) and it seemed to be impossible to turn off. It was only after a sleepless night and complaints to the concierge that I was informed that I needed to insert my key card in a slot on the wall in order to be able to adjust the air conditioning controls. Obviously!

Service in the restaurant was non-existent. On my first evening I waited far too long to be show to a table and then jus waited and waited and waited. A menu was hurriedly thrust at me and I waited and waited and waited until I gave up after half an hour or so perusing a particularly unappetising looking menu. There was no service at the bar either which seemed to have been taken over by a roudy party of locals who dominated the barman's attention.

Wi-fi was difficult to obtain. The guide in the room said that the access code was displayed on the top of the TV. It wasn't. The code quoted by reception didn't work. After several attempts and some negotiation I did manage to get a connection but only non- high speed wi-fi was free. The hotel charges for most non-Dutch TV channels

On the plus side, it does have a nice looking pool and a real gym and spa, which is presumably how it earns its 5 stars.

However, this is not somewhere to stay unless you have to. If you get stranded in The Hague or sent there on business it is good enough but 5 star destination it certainly is not.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear BOEWULF,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel regarding your stay.

I am sorry to hear your troubles with the air conditioning system and the internet service. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you. Additionally, I am sorry for the poor experience and service issues that you have encountered in our restaurant.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Dhan M
Bremen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have been there for 2 days over the weekend. The hotel is modern stylish. I like this others might not. We have been in the new hotel extension which was without any complaints. Front desk was very friendly but understaffed at checkout. Breakfast buffet is excellent if you know dutch breakfasts. Wifi is free and was ok. TV gear is good but programs are a real lough and not 5 star. But who goes to a hotel to watch TV?

Room Tip: Try to get into the newer extension. Ok it is at the main street but noise was ok at the weekend.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Even if I got a tour of the hotel, in person, and before visiting Den Haag for the first time, I would've been convinced that this was a five star property. But everything became obvious after entering our room that all was just superficial. Here's my thoughts after a one-night stay with my wife and baby during our first multi-city vacation.

Pros:
- modern, clean, and contemporary looking property. This applies to the bar, restaurant, corridors, room, etc.
- the front desk staff and restaurant service was fantastic - courteous, knowledgeable, and friendly.
- descent location: close to gas station, restaurants, supermarket, parks, and attractions.
- clean and okay bed/bathroom
- parking lot is quite empty (charges apply)
- 2 pm check out for priority members is nice

Cons:
- everything doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Our faucet was wobbly. The water pressure was weak, and the shower switches from hot to cold continuously.
- the design of the bathroom is idiotic. There's a tiny glass pane with now shower doors or curtains. Try not to flood the bathroom...
- Internet was unstable
- unsure if the thermostat actually worked or it was playing a trick on us. We got up every 2 hours to adjust the temperature...the room was stuffy for an hour and then freezing cold the next.
- breakfast was not impressive, especially since we paid too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
VPahlplatz, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, your feedback enables constantly improve our level of service. I’m pleased to read that you’ve liked the level of service provided by the team and the new design of our hotel. I truly believe that the team and the level of service they provide make the difference in every guests stay.

However I’m sorry to hear that you’ve experienced some troubles during your stay. We recently extended the hotel with a new wing and renovated our existing wing to make sure that all our services and product stayed up to standard. We are currently investigating your remarks especially concerning the water pressure and the heating in the room. All rooms are equipped with walking showers (with shower doors) or shower curtains.
Againg thank you for your feedback and I hope that we may welcome you and your family back in our hotel.

Kind regards,

Vincent Pahplatz
Emerson, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If this is a 5-star hotel (as rated in the Hague travel guides), I'd hate to see what the 3-star hotels are like. This hotel merits 3 stars at best. My room was nice, adequate in size, clean, and well maintained, but a colleague said her room was worn and shabby. the location is good, with 3 tram lines, including to the center of the Hague and to Delft less than 1/2 block away. The employees were nice, but. There was no concierge (I would expect that in a 5-star hotel). The desk personnel were of limited help. A friend and I were able to purchase a day pass for the tram from the desk. The previous day a colleague asked at the desk and was told that you had to go into the center of town to purchase such a pass. The wi-fi service was not very good. The free wi-fi was only for the internet and not e-mail. You got better service if you paid. The TV had few free channels, only one of which was in English. You had to pay for more TV channels. There was no place to print out your boarding passes. You could e-mail it to the hotel and they would print it out for you. I asked if I could print out my boarding pass at the computer and printer opposite the front desk and was told it wold cost me 5 Euros to do that. The free breakfast that came with the room was good.

As I said, this is a 3-star hotel at best. I expected much more from a place that received 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and great to hear that you’ve liked the location of the hotel, close to city centre and the beach and easy accessible both by car as public transport. However I’m sorry to read that we didn’t offer the level of service you could and should expect in a luxury hotel. As a guest may expect we offer the basic services such as concierge services and the possibility to print boarding passes, for some reason we failed to provide you with the service in a suitable matter. Your feedback is shared with the team and immediate action is taken to make sure this will and can’t happen again.

Again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I sincerely hope that we may welcome you again.

Kind regards,

Vincent Pahlplatz
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The hotel is fundamentally not bad - reasonably refined decor in a fairly Seventies-style neighbourhood, opposite a gas station (but 10 minutes walk from the World Congress conference centre - hence the visit). The gym is good. What really let it down, however, was the dreadful internet service. Most visitors, I suspect, are on business, and providing a free wifi service that is just 256k and with patchy coverage is really not acceptable. It means that you can only establish a VPN if you use the paid-for service, even in the reception area - which if you are only in the hotel to sleep and use as a base, is a rip off. Would have given the hotel 4 - 4.5 if it wasn't for this - it was really annoying. According to the staff at the front desk, lots of people complain about it - no idea why they don't fix it, but it is clearly a management issue.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear WRH152,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept my apology for the inconvenience the internet connection may have caused you. Rest assured that these will be shared to our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Thank you again for the review and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and ensuring that you have a hassle free stay with us.

Krysllin G
Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two days at the Crown Plaza in Den Haag. The hotel is conveniently located, near the city centre. Stuff was friendly, Internet was free (sufficient for email, upgrades of the bandwidth available to purchase). Was greeted in my room with some freshly squeezed juice and strawberries. Fitness centre large, clean, good equipment. Rooms large, bed comfortable. Bathrooms in need of renovation, color is peeling off door for example. Dinner food was overpriced, both in terms of quality and quantity (7.50 for a handful of vegetables). Breakfast: good selection on cold cuts, eggs etc. Funny were the large tomatoes and cucumbers which were presented unpeeled and uncut, like just coming from the farm...a bit difficult to handle, per-cut/ready-to-eat pieces would be much better.
All in all, a good and solid experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Frank M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. I’m glad you found the hotel to your liking and I will pass on your comments about the staff being friendly, it’s always nice to hear we are getting it right. I apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, I wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade? Share your experiences!