“Better than other reviews might suggest” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 69 Hotels in The Hague
East Sussex
“Better than other reviews might suggest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I like Crowne Plaza hotels. They are all similar and are normally bland and instantly forgettable. You can wake up in a Crown Plaza room and not know what country you are in.

This one has is fairly typical - all be it with some very pleasant surprises.

The reception is typically large and impressive - with a good bar and some nice design touches. OK so the muzak is a bit too loud, and annoying - but this seems to be Crowne Plaza policy.

Basic rooms are good - I was on the 5th floor which looked as if it had been recently decorated. The room was large clean and comfortable. Others have mentioned the free internet connection that is useless. I ended up paying for a wired connection - and resented it!

What sets this Crowne Plaza apart is the new spa in the basement. Very nicely done - great facilities and very helpful staff. Choice of sauna and a pool plus gym for those so inclined. They allow locals in so I enjoyed some interesting chats which helped me to get the most out of the city.

Dinner in the restaurant was good and a bar snack late on my first night after the kitchen had closed was prepared by the barman without complaint.

If it wasn't for the rip off internet scam then I would have rated this as excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
VPahlplatz, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear guest,

It’s very nice to hear that you appreciate Crowne Plaza as a brand, but also that’s your opinion that our property has some pleasant surprises. We have put a lot of effort in developing our new hotel and the biggest reward for that is a satisfied guests.

I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in both our Health Club & Spa as well as in our bar and restaurant.

Concerning the wired internet connection ï’m surprised to hear that this wasn’t working properly. The system is installed recently and we recently changed to fibre optic cables throughout the hotel. I will investigate this matter immediately with our supplier.

Again I would like to thank you for your kind feedback and I’m sure to pass your compliments to our team.

Vincent Pahlplatz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel staff is very professional and helpful. The lobby and exterior are 1980's European and not much has changed since then. I thought the decor was a bit distracting and, like mist modern furnishings, uncomfortable. The rooms are OK, a bit dated and worn. Bed was very comfortable. Don't expect much from the free internet, it's very slow and drops you about every 2-4 minutes....but they are willing to sell you a high speed package. TV was not good, only a few free channels, the others, like news and entertainment, are sold for an additional cost.
On a positive note, the hotel is quiet and an easy walk to the beach or take the No. 1 tram to the promenade or city center.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I would like to take the opportunity to react on your feedback. It’s very nice to hear that you appreciate the professional and helpful staff in the hotel. In our opinion this is key for any successful hotel company. Furthermore you appreciated our new bedding, a good night sleep is essential for traveller.

I’m very sorry to hear that you didn’t appreciate our new interior and exterior of the hotel. In 2011 and the first half of 2012 we had a major refurbishment and renovation and we had put a lot of thought and effort in the new design, to make it both comfortable and efficient for our guest.

In reaction to your remarks concerning our selection of television channels and wifi. We offer 24 television channels free of charge. We try to offer a broad pallet for all our guests (French, German, UK, Spanish, etc). We also offer free Wifi internet throughout the entire hotel, however with limited bandwidth. This is necessary to guarantee the quality of internet for all our guests. If high speed internet is necessary our different television channels are requested we offer the possibility to upgrade our facilities for Euro 9,50 per day. We are currently investigating how we can limit the number of times guest have to login on our free Wifi network.

Again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I sincerely hope that we may welcome you again in the future.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel previously before the construction of the new wing and I must say that the renovation and the construction has given new enegry to this hotel. The new gym and swimming pool is a big bonus to the excellent services provided. The room is still big and comfortable. The location of the hotel is a bit on the edge of the city but within walking distance to the World Forum, Peace Palace and the Madurodaum. It also offers easy access by tram to the city centre and the beach in less than 10 minutes. The free wi fi is good but it will keep logging out if a mobile device is used. That is a real pity for a star hotel.

Room Tip: Park facing view on high floor is great
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for your review and it’s very good to hear that our major changes to the hotel are appreciated. It’s was our goal to give the hotel new energy, create a modern and dynamic atmosphere and provide an extensive range of facilities including Healh Club & Spa.
We use our guest feedback to optimize our service level and quality. We do understand that it could be annoying for guests that they constantly need to login again on our Wifi network. For this reason we changed our policy. Guests still need to login this is necessary to create an secure and safe environment, but guest will stay logged in for a longer period of time without re-entering the code every few minutes.
Thanks again for your feedback and I’m looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Vincent Pahplatz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Rooms are big and have everything needed. Free wifi. Quite far from city Center and train station. Didn't try breakfast but it was 22 euro !!

Overall, good place for a 1 night business trip. If you get a good rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
VPahlplatz, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback and it’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed your stay with us. The past 2 years we’ve invested a great amount of time, money and effort in the new Crowne Plaza Den Haag – Promenade. We’ve developed 80 new rooms, developed 900m2 of Health Club & Spa facilities and refurbished all our other rooms and facilities.
Unfortunately I can’t change the location of the hotel, which is exactly in the middle between The Hague City Centre and Scheveningen Beach. Surrounded by the Van Stolk park the hotel is an oasis of tranquillity in the lively city The Hague and the tram which stops directly in front of the hotel brings you either to city centre of the beach within 5 minutes.
Again thank you for your feedback and hopefully I have the pleasure to welcome you in our hotel again in the future.

Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night when visiting The Hague for business. We arrived very late but were greated very pleasently by a young guy at the reception. (Wish I had taken his name for a recommendation)
The rooms are of a good size and very clean. The only "yuk" thing is the shower curtain, this should be replaced by glass for hygienic reasons. The evening of my stay they also had a TV connection problem in the rooms, so I went to bed straight away (although the hotel bar did look a very nice place to go to!).
The beds are very soft, I like this, but not everybody will be pleased by it.
After a good night's sleep I enjoyed the fantastic (!) breakfast buffet, just one small remark there: not one of the staff members at breakfast spoke Dutch!! This is unacceptable in a Dutch hotel.
The price vs. quality is ok, just a pity that you have to pay €17,50 per day to park your car at the outside hotel parking! A bit of a rip-off if you ask me.
So all in all a nice hotel with a good service, nice rooms and a very nice breakfast. Go there, you won't regret.

• Stayed October 2012
VPahlplatz, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank for your feedback on your stay in our hotel. Your feedback enables us to make the necessary changes to improve our service and product.
I very much appreciate the fact that you liked the atmosphere in the hotel, the bar and the service provided at check-in, I will be sure to pass these remarks to our team. We invested a lot of time, money and effort in our new and refurbished hotel with special attention to a good night sleep and a great breakfast, it’s good to hear that you enjoyed our new beds and our extensive breakfast buffet.
Your remark concerning the shower curtains is noted, our 80 new rooms are already equipped with a separate walk in shower and bath and currently investigating the possibility to change the shower curtains in our renovated rooms.
I would like to thank you again for your feedback and I hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you in the future again.

Overloon, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This week I had a night at the Crown Plaza in the Hague. Not my first stay and probably not my last but there are things about this hotel that just don't live up to the 5 star rating. The room is nice enough not luxurious by any way shape or form. Bed was comfortable but no turn down service with a chocolate on the pillow or slippers by the bed like I've experienced in other 5 star establishments. The bathroom is very compact with a smaller than average bath and a shower over it controlled by the tap mixer. Very small bottles of shampoo etc is provided but nothing special. There are no extras in the room like fruit or sweets. Just a couple of bottles of water and the usual tea, coffee etc. Not a big deal really but service you expect from a 5 star hotel.
The thing that really annoys me about hotels in the Hague and indeed a lot of places in the Netherlands is that they charge for 2 things I believe should always be free. The use of the internet and parking. You are charged enough for staying there the least they could do is allow you to park your car in their car park for free. They charge 15 euros for the privilege. On top of that they charge for internet in the room and for the use of the hotel pc in the foyer. Come on this is not necessary. I have stays in way smaller and simpler hotels and they even give you free internet access.
We had dinner in the hotel and this is also very over priced. Nothing on the dinner menu main course was less than 20 euros. In fact the choice is only 4 things. One fish dish, one meat, one foul and one vegetarian. Extremely poor in my opinion. I ordered the fish a mackerel dish and was told there was non and would I have sea bass instead. I expected the same dish only with the replacement fish but I got an entirely different thing. It consisted of one thin piece of fish with a small dollop of mash and some green beans and 4 bits of asparagus. My man had the steak and although taste enough it was also a very small portion with 8 fries done in an 'artistic way'. This they have the nerve to charge well over 20 euros for. I don't mind paying a high price for a meal but I expect to get value for money and this certainly was not. In my opinion they are charging 5 star prices for a 4 star if that hotel. Not good.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to superior if its in the older part of the hotel. These rooms are not so good as the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
VPahlplatz, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I’m very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not completely up to your standards. Your feedback is shared with our team and where possible immediate action is taken. I would like to take the opportunity to respond to your feedback.
The hotel does offer turndown service, but after several remarks of our guests we offer this service upon request. Furthermore the entire hotel is equipped with free wireless internet for our guests, from your feedback I conclude that this didn’t work properly and we currently investigating what happened as at this moment everything functions perfect.
In our Brasserie we work with fresh daily products, with the risk that a certain product isn’t available. However I totally agree that in that case we must be able to serve a similar dish instead of complete different dish. This feedback is shared with both our serving as kitchen staff and measures are taken to make sure this can’t happen again in the future.
Again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I hope that I’m able to welcome you in person for your next visit.

Vincent Pahplatz
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Really enjoyed staying here, great location, right by the tram, and between the city and the beach. Hotel had a gym, sauna and pool, and very pleasant. The hotel was also very close to parklands, great for running and being outdoors.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Crowne Plaza Den Haag - Promenade? Share your experiences!