“boutique hotel with smart staff” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 69 Hotels in The Hague
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“boutique hotel with smart staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a boutique hotel in a quiet section of The Hague with lots of trees . Was given a room with Victorian colors and a huge bed as I was travelling alone. The size of the room was average but it had everything I wanted with an added antique bar and refreshments cabinet that matched the room's motif. It looked very dreamy and posh. Dining staff was very courteous, friendly, and polite. One has to take the taxi to go downtown but there are several outside the hotel at reasonable prices. As I was in a hurry, I only ate at the dining room. The only problem is that there are no restaurants nearby but the taxi drivers even brought me to restaurant at the beach where there were several to choose from. I was able to take a walk before I called the taxi driver to fetch me. Nice experience !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
CarltonAmbassador, General Manager at Carlton Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review! We really appreciate it that you have taken the time to share your experiences on Tripadvisor. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again soon and at that time we will also show you the lovely restaurants in the direct vicinity of the hotel. With best regards, Arwin Paulides - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very distinctive - in one stay I had the "jacuzzi room" which features an enormous bath. This trip I was in a room which the receptionist smiled upon notifying me that it was also "interesting" but declined to explain why. I discovered why when woken by flashing mood lights from under the bed. Not particularly what I was after on a business trip but the overall experience remained excellent.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for review and for your comments with regards to our Signature Room. You were actually one of the first guests to stay in this brand new room type! Following your comments, we have removed the flashing lights (these were installed as a test). Hopefully you will be able to experience our Signature Rooms again during your next visit to The Hague. With best regards, Arwin Paulides - General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was here for just 2 days for work. I've been to the Hague before, but never before to this hotel. It's homey, relaxing lobby, fireplace. I love the fireplace in the winter cold! The reception was really nice. First of all, they had my room ready even at 9 am, and told me I could have breakfast in the breakfast area. They were super helpful with orienting me, and telling me where I could go to find what. (The hotel is in what seems to be a very beautiful, ritzy, posh location far from anything, and while the former is true, it is actually very close to lots and lots of things.) There's also a lounge area with nice places to sit and chat. They also provided all kinds of newspapers and then arranged for me to have one delivered to my room the next day.

Breakfast area, nice. Not huge spread, and if you're a vegan you may not be happy but everything's represented and it's all good. The berry yogurt tastes and feels whipped and fresh - more like a dessert. The roast beef is really yummy and tasty. The milk and cheese are excellent, as is the raisin bread. Service is prompt. I had dinner once in the hotel, and it was pretty good. The non-chicken satay chicken was absurdly satisfying - the satay was really good, and it didn't feel like soy-whatever. The club sandwich is huge and comes with copious amounts of fries (I didn't get, but colleagues did), the burger someone else got looked big and juicy but only came with 6 steak fries. Yes, 6.

Room - I think I got a tudor style with the Delft bathroom. Room is a decent size for Europe. It's not tiny and I had a queen bed - one bed, not two pushed together - and it is heaven. The mattress is amazing, the duvet is really crisp and fresh, the pillows are fluffy but firm. There is a desk with 2 outlets, 2 chairs and table by the windows, a minibar with a fridge and tea set that is complimentary, a place for the suitcase and a closet with a safe. The room is heated by radiator, which was fine. Big, big windows.

Bathroom - pretty blue! It has a small shower compartment (I think I'll never get used to showering in a clear-glass encasement) with good water pressure and temperature. There's an enormous, beautiful tub. The towels are really amazing. Rare is it that you ever get an actual bath sheet in a hotel bathroom, but they have that. Love it! They're resting on what I think was a towel warmer, which would have been great, but I couldn't figure out how it worked. There's also a great big bathrobe in the closet that is so great to wrap yourself into, and slippers. The bathroom amenities smell yummy, including soap, shampoo, lotion and shower gel. There's a hair dryer on the wall.

There is free wifi as well. Keep in mind that although this is a chain (sort of), it is not a chain hotel. There's no standard business center, fitness center, cookie cutter rooms, spa, etc. This isn't a hotel you go to for that - there are others if that's your thing. This is the best combination of being pampered with old-school, old-world luxury, combined with pure class, without an ounce of pretension or snobbery. I'm not even sure if there's any gym to speak of, but I wasn't there for that long so I didn't look too hard. But there's nice jogging and walking areas outdoors just in the city. To Europol it is about a :20 walk or a 5-minute, 10-euro taxi ride.

Check-out was as friendly and efficient as everything else. I usually write really long reviews and keep thinking about this one, what am I missing? What did I not include? I keep coming back to thinking about their luscious bed, but I already wrote about that!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CarltonAmbassador, General Manager at Carlton Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you ever so much for your lovely review, which we have shared with our entire team. We kindly thank you for the detailed description of our hotel, the rooms, the restaurant, facilities and service. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay (and specifically our beds). Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again soon, it would be wonderful to have you as our guest again!
With best regards, Arwin Paulides - General Manager
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This smallish hotel (in an old converted villa) is located near the Peace Palace and the embassy area of The Hague. It is located in a quiet area. Yet it is also near the city centre (5 min walk to Noordeinde) and 2 min walk from Panorama Mesdag. The hotel is of good quality, the personal service of the staff is excellent. Rooms are somewhat on the small side. Decoration is old fashion in style, but with a personal touch (i.e. Not the standard hotel interior decoration). Well kept and clean. Free wifi in the rooms. Small parking lot next to the hotel (you need to reserve); a lot of public parkings space (but paid) around the hotel. Afforable rates. Nice breakfast buffet. Seems ideal for a weekend in the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments and the detailed description of our hotel. We understand that you have stayed in our hotel for business, but hopefully we will be able to welcome you again for that weekend in The Hague.
With kind regards, Arwin Paulides - General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spending here a week on business. Room is functional, neither big nor small, but clean, nice interior and very importantly, a great bed. May be the best hotel bed I have yet encountered. Bathroom is compact but has everything, including a good shower. Staff is very friendly and hotel food is good. Conveniently located. Very good Internet, too (and free). Very happy with the choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review and your comments. We really appreciate it that you have taken the time to share your experiences with other travellers! We certainly hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.
With kind regards, Arwin Paulides - General Manager
Voorburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Christmas dinner/dance: Food was once again the very best one could expect, Wine's served the same!!
Staff are helpfull and friendly. No request is too much effort. Room in which we stayed was very comfortable and very clean. Public transport close by and ideally situated to visit either city centre or the coast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CarltonAmbassador, General Manager at Carlton Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review and the beautiful picture of our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guests during Christmas, we are really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and our Christmas Dinner Dance. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon!
With best regards, Arwin Paulides - General Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at this lovely hotel for 2 nights, 22,23, December 2012. We then attended the Christmas day brunch with our Daughter and son in law. What a delightful and cosy stay with 5 stars awarded all round. Could not find any faults, clean room, attentive staff, good breakfast, ending up with a great Christmas day brunch. The whole meal was well managed with very helpful staff, great choice of top class food, could not fault any of the food.
Well done to all the staff.
Keith&Margaret

Room Tip: We stayed 1st floor at front of hotel, no noise