“Worst hotel I have stayed in” 1 of 5 stars

You added Grand Hotel Central to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Central
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kruiskade 12, 3012 EH Rotterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
“Worst hotel I have stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My partner and I visited this hotel in December on a city break. We were meant to go to Bruges however a port strike in Zebrugge changed our plans. We wanted a hotel which was central and booked this one as some of the reviews were not too bad. We arrived mid morning and asked if we could leave our bags in the luggage room until we could check in. The receptionist informed us that there was a room available anyway and she proceeded to check us in. We got in the lift to the second floor and walked down a dark corridor with really worn out carpet. We reached our room and opened the door and were very disappointed. The room was very bare with thread bare carpet. The room was very warm and smelled really musty. The bathroom was the worst bathroom I have ever seen. It was something akin to a prison cell. Pipes were exposed, the shower cubicle was horrendous. The sink was so big that we had to squeeze past it to get to the toilet. I stopped counting the stains on the bed at seven. My partner and I were so disappointed that we decided not to stay the night and we managed to get back on the ferry. I am not one to complain for complaining sake but this hotel is in desperate need of redecorating etc. A lick of paint and new carpets go along way. Don't get me wrong the location is great but when we paid nearly 60€ for the room - I expected more than what this hotel was offering.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Grand Hotel Centraal Rotterdam is a decent functional hotel- it has satisfactory to good standards of accomodation, although it needs some redecoration. The room was as described, acceptably clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very clean and the wi fi and TV worked well. There were coffee and tea making supplies in the room. The hotel is in a very convenient location, only about ten minutes' walk, or a five minute taxi ride, from the main railway station. Unfortunately I did not get to try the included breakfast because I had to catch a very early train.

The staff were very pleasant. One member of the hotel staff was very understanding when I had to change my booking before I arrived. They helped me with a taxi in the morning so i was able to catch my train.

Best of all, the Grand Hotel Centraal welcomed my cat Milo. He was very happy to have a rest break in this nice hotel and he and I both slept very well.

Overall this hotel is good value for money.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

This hotel was recommended by a ferry company after missing our ferry. We had booked a triple room, however when we turned up we were given a family room as no triple rooms were left. When we entered the lift everything looked like it belonged in the 1950's and not in a cool retro way. Anyway when we entered the room, a smell of must was overpowering, and the room was very underwhelming. It looked more like a hostel than a hotel, with the decor dates, room damp, bunk beds, and a bathroom looking very shabby. There were no cups in the room, and no towels, and if it wasnt for the fact that it was 22:00 we would have refused to stay in this place. The only good thing about this hotel is the location! I stayed with my baby daughter and my parents, and in the morning when i saw a cockroach on the towel then that was the final straw! I would never stay here, and i would strongly recommend that no one else stays here unless the damp uclean hostel look for hotel prices is your thing!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Blackpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014 via mobile

This advertised hotel looks more like a hostel than a hotel the rooms are awful and the service is very lacking the breakfast is nothing special which at €12.50 is not value for money! We won't be coming back and I would suggest others do the same! The room had no cups or towels and was dirty so on arrival was not impressed at all then add the loud outside music and shouting and fighting till 3am this is certainly 1 hotel I won't miss! Never again!

• Stayed November 2014
Roeselare, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014 via mobile

Let's start with the positive: The breakfast is really good and the location even better. But do not let the pictures fool you. This is a very old hotel with smelly rooms and even smellier hallways. Paint falling down from the ceiling and very weird stains on the carpet in the room and hallways. Housekeeping did not get to cleaning our room until when we were taking a nap at 7pm! Never seen this. Plus our keycards had to be changed 3 times because they stopped working. This place needs some maintenance done very soon!

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one week in AUG.2014. The hotel is old and needs renovation. Cleanliness is not the best part. BUT it is at an excellent location (opposite Hilton, Holiday Inn, next to City Hall), has very good breakfast and it is very cheap. If you want a room to sleep in the city center is ideal. The staff is very helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

The hotel is very oldfasion. Staff was very helpfull. When we arrived the toilet didn't work, and they fixed it immediately. The breakfast was excellent. The room is fairly big.
It is located near main railway station.
The wifi didnt work in rooms, only in hallway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Central? Share your experiences!