I spent 4.5 days at the Hotel Emma last week. I stayed in the cheapest of their rooms. Although it was half the price of most other hotels, it included a private bath, breakfast and wifi. The bed was just great, and the linens were crisp and comfy. It's owner-operated, and not part of a chain.
The upside is that it's well taken care of. They care.
The downsides are that it's not fancy, at least in the cheap section. No A/C. No wall art. Mentos not Dutch chocolate on your pillow.
The only big complaints are that
1. there's no way to block the noise from the cafe across the street when the Netherlands are playing in the World Cup. Bring ear plugs, and don't plan to close the window or you'll overheat. I am not sure what other events make Rotterdammers gather to drink and cheer loudly and late, and the World Cup is pretty infrequent, so you're probably in luck.
2. the wifi is intermittent. This could be due to any number of factors. But it was a persistent problem. If you haven't got access to a EU data plan, and you can't afford to roam at $8/MB, and you need to be on line, this may not be your best hotel pick.
Lovely stay, nice folks.
Also, I was at the hotel within 70 minutes of landing at Schiphol. There's a great train right from the airport to Rotterdam Station, which is a very short tram ride or a 15 minute walk. It's right on a corner with the main East West metro lines, and it's covered with what seemed like dozens of tram tracks. Perfect place to get anywhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Emma is a small and friendly hotel ideally located in the heart of Rotterdam. Public transport and the shopping area are right at our doorstep as are many cafes and restaurants. Rotterdam Central Station is at only 850 meters from the hotel. Your host, Luigi Orsini, and his team hope to welcome you. They will see to it that you will feel right at home, to further maintain an 80-years Rotterdam family tradition. ***At home in Rotterdam ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, T4B and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Emma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Emma Hotel Rotterdam