“great location & comfortable - but more a 3 star hotel than 4 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Atlanta Rotterdam

Save Saved
You added NH Atlanta Rotterdam to your Saves list
NH Atlanta Rotterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coolsingel/Aert van Nesstraat, 4,, Rotterdam 3012 CA, The Netherlands (Cool)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 53 hotels in Rotterdam
Dublin
“great location & comfortable - but more a 3 star hotel than 4 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Very good location in centre of Rotterdam - was here for the Rotterdam marathon and this hotel was in a great location across the road from the start & finish line - so didn't have far to hobble after the race.

Overall the hotel was clean and quiet and staff friendly. However, I would rate this as more a 3 star than a 4 star hotel by Irish & UK standards. Although the room was bright and clean, it was pretty small - about half the size of a room in a 5 star NH hotel I stayed in the night before in Amsterdam. Also the beds, (although comfortable) were more trolleys - the wheels underneat made the bed roll when you were trying to watch tv.

I was staying for 3 nights and on the second and third day the shampoo/shower gel/toilet roll were not replemished even though they were about to run out. Also for the price over 400 euro for 3 nights, breakfast was not included - which made the hotel pretty expensive for a very standard room.

Overall it was satisfactory - clean quiet and great location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

323 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
SPAIN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

The best thing about this hotel is its location right in the middle of the (business) center, but even if I needed to stay close to the WTC I wouldn´t repeat with this hotel.

On check - in, they "give" you breakfast "vouchers" (that´s what they tell you), making you believe breakfast is included (as far as I remember this was once regulated by Dutch law: breakfast HAD to be included in the price of the room). On those vouchers it says that if you lose any of them, you will be charged for your breakfast (22.50€ each one)..!
So here comes the trick: if you happen to use your vouchers (having breakfast), on checkout you will be charged any vouchers you don´t have any more (also those you lost somehow). But not only that: we were to stay 7 days and only got 11 vouchers by "mistake" - glad I noticed this right away.

The "system" is obvious: they misuse the term "voucher", making you believe they are worth a breakfast where in fact they are not and if you lose one, you get charged for it!!
My recommendation: don´t accept them (if you really want to stay in this hotel).

The breakfast isn´t worth it by the way: no caffeine-free coffee or thee, the scrambled eggs are of industrial "quality" and they wait until everything is cold before replacing eggs (only scrambled or hard-boiled) and bacon. On week days, this service is open till 10:00h and they really begin to take everything away one minute later - I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, never seen anything like that!

Other unpleasant things: worn out shower tap and head, changing watertemperature, no room ventilation other than a small window, springs from matrass poking your ribs,
noisy nights because of the ventilation system of adjacent mall, poor cleaning of room, filthy windows (from outside) and no slippers as advertised...

Give yourself a brake: dont make the mistake we did!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I had had a fight with my husband earlier in the day and decided that I was not going to go home that night. So I was looking forward to a nice bath, some room service and a night in front of the TV.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I was on a no carbs diet! Don’t you just love new year’s resolutions?

So a friendly woman checks me in about 7:40pm on this cold night in January. I check that they have room service and she assures me they do. I also fill out an express check out form so that I can leave quickly in the morning.

I go up to my very basic room (with a tube of hygienic hand wash on the bedside table, what that was for I do not what to begin to imagine!). Given that this is a 4 star hotel I was expecting a little more, well a lot more really! The whole room had a no frills feel to it.

I decide to order dinner, I check the menu and choose a steak (in keeping with the diet). When I ring to place my order I am told that only the items marked with a 24 are available at this time because the kitchen is closed. I know most hotels make their money from their business clients but would it be too much to expect that during the weekend hotels also open their restaurants, for the other customers? Anyway my choice came down to tomato soup, cheese board and 5 different pizzas! Great so I go for the carb free tomato soup. I am not a fan of tomato soup but when it arrives it is surprisingly better than I anticipated, small and I am starving again in the middle of the night but better than expected. Not as good as the steak I was hoping for!

I went to have a bath, toiletries were basic, I had to call reception for a shower cap, only to be told that they may have one, they would have to check! They sent up a shower cap finally so I had my bath.

Now time to snuggle into bed with a good movie... well, the TV only picked up three channels and even those were fuzzy. I struggled through some series but my eyes were starting to hurt so I called it an early night.

The beds and pillows also had the no frills feel, with springs sticking into me as I slept. By the morning I was ready to leave and never come back.

I headed down to reception, checkout was crazy, I waited in line for over 20 minutes even though I had filled in the quick check out form the night before. Finally my turn at the desk, I pointed out the I had completed a quick check out form and asked if I could leave, he had no idea what I was talking about, I repeated myself and showed the man behind the desk the quick checkout section of the form I had filled out the night before, he still looked at me blankly! I wished him a good day, and I just walked out!

My night of a bath, some room service and TV was a complete disaster, not at all what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. So not stay here you will be VERY disappointed. The silver lining in all this is I spent the next night at home with my husband!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
LONDON, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I stayed here in February 2010, and had a pleasant stay. Cant say we spent too much time in the hotel but it was pefect in terms of its location! Minutes away from bus, metro and tram stops that can take you all over the city and minutes walk away from a shopping centre. Didnt eat any food at the hotel, cant really say there were many restaurants.. the area was innondated with Mc donalds. The room was nice and spacious, VERY CLEAN bathroom, decent sized bed and the televsion had a few channels that were in english. The staff were friendly (slightly snobbish) ensure to check that the person you are speaking to speaks english or they will just walk away leaving you slightly confused! Not many coffee shops in the area. A few decent clubs. Overal a good trip!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on a week-day. On arrival we were given two vouchers for breakfast. We were not told that if we used them that we would actually be charged for breakfast on top of our room rate! When we came to check out in the morning the bill was almost 50% higher than we expected. So the vouchers are a trick to get you to pay extra for a far too expensive breakfast (over €22 each!!)

Moreover, the hotel website shows photographs of refurbished rooms. In fact, there are still many old unrefurbished rooms. So on top of the stay being far more expensive than we expected, the room was dingy, small and very tired. It also smelt of cigarette smoke.

All in all, a disappointing and expensive stay. Result: I won't be clicking on NH Hoteles again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We went there with my partner a few years ago (before we moved to Holland) and we were very satisfied with this hotel. We paid 70 euros back in the days for a double room(prices will probably have increased)which was really good value. This hotel is located in the very very city centre of Rotterdam so its perfect for shopping, going out and local attractions. The rooms are spacious,bathtub in bathrooms. We ate at the Sakura hotel which is located next door and we had a great experience(see my review of the restaurant for more details.)
The only bad point was that the room was advertised as "breakfast included" and it wasnt...something we found out during check out...

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

as i said in the other NH comment they never find my personal data, and til they realized they can not find me im just waiting there not knowing that somethimes I drive a lot of hours or fly and I AM TIRED AND JUST WANT MY ROOOOOMMMMMM . And i hate when they register my name wrong :S , whatever. Normal breakfast, room OK i had no chance to visit the bar but i saw it and it looked pretty good. Hotel In the city thats a very big PLUS, near to everything but not the parking place. Well it was my fisrt time in this hotel i had to step out of the car run to the reception to ask where i can park then run back to the car , had to turn around and get into the parking place half block away, 2nd floor. Suites in one hand luggage in the other. About the personell seemed a bit angry or serious maybe my perception but that the first this you notice when you go into the hotel. By teh way i forgot, I HATE WHEN THEY PUT TWO BED TOGETHER, how do you suppose to sleep in the middle ??? take one out or get a big one. I was slipping all the time between them, i finished sleeping on the right side.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to NH Atlanta Rotterdam? Share your experiences!