“Conmfortable and good location but definitely not up to 4 stars.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Rotterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Schiekade 658, NL-3032AK Rotterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Milan, Italy
“Conmfortable and good location but definitely not up to 4 stars.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I was there in February for work and stayed for three nights. The morning I arrived I found myself in a construction site since they were refurbishing and it was very annoying. in any case my room was not bad and big enough since they had a promotion for doubles to be used as singles. The location is excellent since you are right by the city center and and in a couple of minutes you can reach the railway station. Overall it was a very nice staying, however on the down side I have to say that it is more a three than a four stars and the furnishing of the rooms is very basic and oldish plus the bathroom is quite small.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Zwolle, Holland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

But not a 4*
The rooms are very very tiny (single)
And the room is very dated..with the only 4* aminity a large flatscreen.
I paid 66 euro for one night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dun na nGall, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We had stayed here several times before, convenient location etc. However, this time it appeared to have changed ownership recently, and was undergoing refurbishment which we discovered when we arrived - materials all over the reception, restaurant not available and a temporary bar.We were given a tiny room, obviously used as a single as towels and toiletries were only for one. we had to go ask for more towels. The room was so small the bed was up against one wall, and my husband had to either slide to the bottom of the bed or clamber over me to get out of bed - for an elderly couple not the most comfortable. If we had pulled out the bed, it would be up against the opposite wall. The bathroom was minute, if one sat on the toilet you could rest your head on the washbasin. Standing at the basin, you couldnt close the door and to dry yourself after a shower you had to either get out of the room or take the towel into the shower. Toiletries were not replaced during our stay, and I had to go to reception to get coffee sachets.
The corridor to our room had empty cardboard cartons and other litter left there for several days and the carpet was splashed with paint. The staff at reception did not seem in the least interested in our comfort during our four night stay, and did not ask as we checked out if we enjoyed our stay or if everything was OK. We were really disappointed this time, as previously we had much better bedrooms in a brighter part of the hotel and enjoyed our stays. Definitely not a 4 star experience this time and we will not be back,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

This hotel was our first of a week long trip to The Netherlands. It was chosen because of its proximity to the city centre and the fact that it is part of a reputable chain. We found the hotel to be very basic. The price we paid for our stay did not reflect the standard of the rooms. The room we stayed in was towards the back of the hotel, through a maze of stairs and steps and torn carpets. The room itself had a tiny television.We learned during the second day of our visit that we were supposed to be allocated a more modern room and in error were sent to the one where we stayed. Perhaps these modern rooms were more pleasant to stay in but based on our experience I would not recommend this hotel. Rotterdam must have better hotels to offer visitors!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed here for one night in January. Its very easy to get to from the Centraal train station; when coming off the platforms, head down the tunnel in the opposite direction to the Station Hall. At the end, turn right and follow that road for about 5 minutes, until you come to a main road. Cross the main road - this is Schiekade - and go along it to the left, the hotel is a few metres away.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful every time I dealt with them. I had a single room on the first floor. The lift up to the first floor had been used so many times that it took some doing to get the floor buttons to work; i actually spent a few seconds in the lift with the doors closed not going anywhere before I realised my feeble button pushing attempts had not registered.

Decor on the first floor was tired. Decor in my room was very tired, there were loads of marks on the wall where people had scuffed bags and feet against it. Although I had booked a non-smoking room and there was no sign that it was a smoking room (ie no ashtray), I could smell that someone had smoked in it. Also the bathroom smelt vaguely of drains. There was some tea making equipment, a tv (with BBC1 on it) and free wi-fi for the laptop. Bathroom was fine, if small. Bed was fine, although the light from the window was too much and I ended up sleeping the other way around.

Walls of the hotel are very thin, apparantly there was a woman in the room next to me, she was Dutch, she had a mobile phone conversation and I might as well have been sat next to her. In fact, I think we could have talked through the wall without much problem.

I had both dinner and breakfast in the hotel. Dinner was not bad, the waiter was very good, although I think it was overpriced for what I had - but I guess I was paying the price for being too tired to do my own foraging. Breakfast was good.

Hotel will keep your luggage for 24 hours after you check out, which is useful.

There is a rumour on here that this is a 4 star hotel. It does not appear like a 4 star hotel. I would stay here again if I had one night in Rotterdam and I just needed somewhere to lay my head, however, I am sure there are better places if one is looking for anything more from their hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Wroclaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Great location, just around the corner from the central station. The staff are warm and helpful. Very basic hotel for the money. The room was cramped, noisy and very cold. Breakfast was included in the price. This was a buffet where you helped yourself. No coffee inside room, only tea. Only one connection to Wifi, no way to connect smartphone or Internet tablet alongside laptop computer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. My first reaction was to go online to find another hotel. Unfortunately we decided to tough it out. The positive for the hotel was the breakfast - good choice of toast, rolls, eggs, baked beans etc.
The negative list is somewhat longer - the first thing we noted was the general appearance of the corridors which were scuffed and in need of a coat of paint. Then came the room which was located on the first floor on the main road. The room was smallish and once again in need of a coat of paint. At first we thought the window was open as the traffic noise was quite loud, unfortunately this was not the case, the windows are not double glazed. Adding to the traffic noise was the ticking of an extremely loud wall clock. The worst was yet to come. The bathroom ceiling was covered in mould. The toilet took approximately 15 minutes to fill up once flushed, this could be heard from the bedroom which added to the noise at night. Proximity to the train station is also not as described by the hotel, a least a twenty minute walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is located t the back of the hotel.